Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If meditation becomes boring

what do you? Give up and focus on some other activity? Or do you persist?

Meditation is certainly going to become boring after a few times - because it is not a stimulating activity and modern world stimulates us all the time. So meditation is breaking away from all that, so the boredom factor is always there.

So how do you deal with it?

Comments

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited December 2013
    Meditation is never boring... The mind becomes bored with meditation.

Observe the boredom and what your mind thinks as well as your emotions. This is one of the harder times to be mindful for sure, but its where you see how the mind and ego work, their intentions and reasons. ( your mind and body may be instinctually and habitually moving towards something interesting, thats fine, dont fight it, just watch it)

And lastly if all else fails, be kind to your mind and tell it that is is ok to be bored and to keep up the good practice.
    riverflowInvincible_summer
  • Definitely persist. Boredom is merely one of many unpleasant mind states. Gaining insight into them is the very juice of Buddhist practice. In a way, our life is made by our reactions to uncomfortable mind states. The more we impulsively do whatever to escape them, the more we become confused and out of touch.

But I think what you want is some type of practical advice. What helps me is a twofold approach. First, try to narrow this thing called "boredom" to a bodily sensation. Maybe it's in my head, maybe it's in my shoulders, maybe it's in my chest. Really feel, play around with it but make an effort to go easy on thinking about it. Second, raise curiousity about this thing called "boredom". What is it? How is it? Why is it? I try to focus on those questions and I try to let go of the mental answers by watching them but not grasping onto them.

As for boredom, I think it's a valuable indicator. It might be pointing to something that needs to be changed in life or the way we approach it. We sit with it while we meditate and hopefully gain some insight into its origins and workings. Then we get off the cushion and try to address the boredom by using the insight gained.
    BhikkhuJayasaralobsterVastmindriverflow
  • EXPLORE THE BOREDOM, LET IT COME AND WATCH IT REMAIN AND THEN DISSOLVE, THIS IS THE NATURE OF MENTAL PHENOMENA
    Invincible_summer
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    betaboy said:

Meditation is certainly going to become boring after a few times - because it is not a stimulating activity and modern world stimulates us all the time. So meditation is breaking away from all that, so the boredom factor is always there.

Personally, the same way that other intrusive thoughts are dealt with, you just notice it and return to the breathing. If you can completely return to "just the breath", boredom has no place to stay and it just goes away by itself.

:om:
    riverflowbetaboy
  • seeker242 said:

betaboy said:

Personally, the same way that other intrusive thoughts are dealt with, you just notice it and return to the breathing. If you can completely return to "just the breath", boredom has no place to stay and it just goes away by itself.

:om:
    seeker242riverflow
  • Boredom is just a content that drifts through the mind. By training you can notice 'boredom' and return to the method. It is like a stage people go through. There is a light on the other side of 'boring' (or so I have been told)
    Chazriverflow
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    If meditation becomes boring - you are going places… Hold on the ride may soon get bumpy and jumpy…

I'm pretty saddle-sore at the moment, what happens next!
    horsebones
  • betaboy said:

I love boredom. Boring repetitive task. Luvly. Putting one foot in front of the other, walking I think they call it. Boring? Love it.
    Sitting with nothing to worry about? Bliss.
    How did I learn to love boredom? Practice.

Did you know I was going to say that? Boring eh?

:)
    anatamanhorsebonesswaydam
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    betaboy said:

Acknowledge the feeling and move on.
    riverflow
  • betaboy said:

I suppose if meditation becomes boring, you could just stop meditating. Get into some stimulating activity until they bore you and then you can get back to meditating- that is, if you are interested. If not, what the heck? Maybe, you should try chanting next. Or Black Magic. Just be clear about what you are aiming for and have your pick.

betaboy said:

Acknowledge the feeling and move on.
    And boredom is a symptom of restlessness, one of the 5 hindrances - see here:
    http://www.insightmeditationcenter.org/books-articles/articles/the-five-hindrances-handouts/the-hindrance-of-restlessness-worry/
  • Does yoga or tai-chi count as meditation?
    Invincible_summeranataman
  • "If something is boring after two minutes, try it for four. If still boring, then eight. Then sixteen. Then thirty-two. Eventually one discovers that it is not boring at all."
    ~ John Cage.
    betaboyInvincible_summeranataman
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

Does yoga or tai-chi count as meditation?

I am not a fan of yoga but tai chi is very appealing, but I don't know where I can learn it near me. Can anyone recommend a way of learning it?
    anataman said:

I am not a fan of yoga but tai chi is very appealing, but I don't know where I can learn it near me. Can anyone recommend a way of learning it?

You can get instruction videos for tai chi, but there are different forms with different sequences so it's not straightforward.
  • A lot of kung fu teachers also teach tai chi.