Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist take on omission?

Hi, I'm new here i've looked around a bit and didn't find the answer promptly - forgive me if this is a repost ...

I've been reading for some time about buddhism and kharma and today I came across this question? How is omission is viewed in the light of buddhist teachings?

I believe it to be a bad thing, lying by omission will have a negative effect on the person you are talking to, omitting help to another human being will be hurtful for that person...

but there is also times where omitting yourself is the defacto standard - for example I'm at a table in a restaurant and the table by my side is talking about the new smartphone they one to buy, because it has X feature... but the phone has no such feature. Omitting myself may lead them to buy a thing that's not what they think, but interrupting their conversation will make mood on the table go bad , because I'm interrupting them and invading their personal space...

I know this example has many mundane and not very positive concepts (like pleasure through consumption) , but if I'm inserted in this setting, I believe a must make the most of what I have...

Comments

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    edited December 2013
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by "omission..."

But I think a Buddhist take would be: it depends on the situation. What is the best, wisest course of action for the given context?

In the example with the smartphone - I think the negative (the person buying a smartphone without the feature they want) is overshadowed by the anger/annoyance/etc you may create in that person by butting into their conversation.
  • I meant by omission: inaction - to not act when you are able to act and optionally to not act when you need to.
  • To not act. Noble silence for example, is skilful discernment.
    Just helping, acting beneficially but inappropriately, in effect out of context is not skilful.
    So restraint, or as you put it 'omission' can be skilful or ignorant (ignoring the call to help when it is appropriate).
    Some people have an addiction to help everyone, when really this is a call for self help. So the first action in Dharma is our real needs, don't omit that . . . :wave:
    Jonathands
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    Sins of omission, sins of commission ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just pay attention and take responsibility. Oh yeah ... and don't pussyfoot!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    genkaku said:

Sins of omission, sins of commission ... damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Just pay attention and take responsibility. Oh yeah ... and don't pussyfoot!

I like that! :thumbup:

To the OP, I do find your original question a little vague. Perhaps you could help by giving a couple of examples.
  • When you know you should stand up, you should not remain seated.
    vinlyn
  • Hi, I'm new here i've looked around a bit and didn't find the answer promptly - forgive me if this is a repost ...

I've been reading for some time about buddhism and kharma and today I came across this question? How is omission is viewed in the light of buddhist teachings?

I believe it to be a bad thing, lying by omission will have a negative effect on the person you are talking to, omitting help to another human being will be hurtful for that person...

but there is also times where omitting yourself is the defacto standard - for example I'm at a table in a restaurant and the table by my side is talking about the new smartphone they one to buy, because it has X feature... but the phone has no such feature. Omitting myself may lead them to buy a thing that's not what they think, but interrupting their conversation will make mood on the table go bad , because I'm interrupting them and invading their personal space...

I know this example has many mundane and not very positive concepts (like pleasure through consumption) , but if I'm inserted in this setting, I believe a must make the most of what I have...

In this case, it could be the thought that counts. Do you intend the omission to mislead? Do you omit to lie? In Buddhist, the thought is the forerunner. First it is the thought, then it is the action. Omission is the action. Now, what is your thought?