Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"May God's light shine upon you this season and for ever more"

BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Today
HA! did that title grab your attention or what ?:P No I haven't converted back to Christianity, nor have I given up my agnostic beliefs ahaha. This thread is yet another about tolerance, forgiveness, and metta.. three pertinent topics in a season like Christmas.

How do you react when dealing with Christians or any other group that may put their religion into every day speech with you?(like, "have a blessed day" or "god be with you"). Do you have a hard time " keeping Christ in Christmas"(teehee), Do you revile against these things with a feeling that they are trying to convert you or at the very least "pushing their religion on you"... OR do you come to an understanding that for the most part this is actually some form of metta that the person is giving you.

Whether the intention behind their greetings to me is from a root of metta, or just rote, or even out of doubt/lack of confidence in their beliefs, I choose to accept it as them giving me metta(because I truly feel it IS that way deep down). If they believe in a god and wish his light or grace or whatever shine upon me, I thank them for that! I'll take all the light I can get thanks :). It's better for them, and myself, that they are wishing god's grace upon me , because at least they care that much, if they didn't care at all they could just say " screw this guy, let him burn in hell".

I've come to the point where even though I'm agnostic, I can give my Christian friends that greeting, that wish, that metta, of "may god's light shine upon you". This is a form of direct metta in a verbal sense straight to the person and their reaction is amazing. It's an instant de-escalation of any animosity.

It's been a journey for myself and my own practice as someone who came from a very Catholic background and rejected the practice. I had much aversion, maybe even hatred, for the church and many of its people(but never of god actually, I always felt if there was a god he was not like what humans portray him, I always saw a god as all loving regardless of what we do, and having a sense of humor). As my practice progressed I was able to begin to let go of a lot of that to the point where when they greeted me christian related greetings It didn't bother me.. now even though i'm a buddhist(or perhaps BECAUSE I am) , I give metta to them in a form they are familiar, by wishing the light of god shine upon them.

I have many Christians in my life who know full well I'm a Buddhist, but they don't try to convert me or anything silly like that, nor do I revile their beliefs or think less of them because of it. I have a young female co-worker who I've become friends with who is what I would of called in the day "one of those crazy Christians", you know the type, they don't go to any kind of established "church" but one of these fellowships that are kind of vague and you don't know if it's a cult or "official" Christianity... but it's amazing when two people who are secure and confident in their religious practices can become close friends and meet on even ground, both confident in their own beliefs and accepting of the other persons. This is something years ago I probably wouldn't of thought possible, but metta, tolerance, and forgiveness come together to create a person who is " dear to non-human beings" and "dear to human beings", as the Buddha taught.
riverflowMaryAnneSilouanTheswingisyellowInvincible_summercvalueVastmind

Comments

• In thinking on this business of recognizing and celebrating the birth of Jesus, I am leaning towards this...

Imo he was a great teacher. There are a number of books that weed through the literal interpretations of "I have not come to bring peace but a sword..." to separate the proverbial wheat and chaff, to put these sort of verses into the context of his time and place. OK, that said and delving into the true meanings of his teachings he did do a lot to change the world. I'm sure his intention was to change it for the better.

While I don't believe he was God or a god, I'll go as far as saying he was enlightened or at least pretty damn in-touch. So if one can accept him as a great teacher of spiritual and moral values, why not honor his birth? I mean, in the US we celebrate Presidents' Day!
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    It goes both ways. When I was in Thailand and went to some upcountry (and I mean real upcountry temples, some in caves), with my SLR strapped over my shoulder it would have been a pretty good guess that I was a White Western Christian tourist. Yet I was still given Buddhist "gifts".

When I'm given a gift, even one I don't particularly want or like, I usually smile and say "Thank you."
    BhikkhuJayasarariverflowInvincible_summercvalue
  • Emptiness is form and form is Emptiness.

Metta to all my brothers and sisters. We all have our own paths we must tread. If another's beliefs give them comfort, peace and help promote goodwill and joy, I find that wonderful.

Cheers :clap:

Christmas is form and Christmas is empty.
    I find that wonderful too.
    Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel :D
    TheswingisyellowInvincible_summer