Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What should I do?

banned_crabbanned_crab Veteran
edited December 2013 in Buddhism Today
Over the past few days Ive been purely living through anticipation of the future. I cant steady my mind, I have no motivation to pursue any knowledge. This feeling usually only lasts a few days but I would like for it to end as soon as possible. It usually ends after I am suddenly overcome by sadness, than I once again feel the need to pursue enlightenment. I feel stagnated.

I have once again entered a compulsive pursuit of ego gratification. First ill strive after possessions, money, success, power, recognition, or a special relationship, basically so that I can feel more complete. But even If I do attain all these things, Ill soon realize that the hole is still there, that it is bottomless. Than ill really be in trouble, because I cannot delude myself anymore.

What do you do to stop yourself in these helpless times?

Comments

• Practice.

Through the good and bad.
    Bad lessens and become lessons, good increases. Wot you mean you knew that? :buck:
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    List all the things that are going well in my life. If things need to change I make a plan for how to get there.
  • Anticipating the future isn't all bad.
  • It is funny but even anticipating positive outcomes can have negative effects. I know of an individual who had anticipated things going his way, and when they didn't, he got himself into a world of trouble. To make a long story short, this fellow was going to court, and he assumed things would be working out in his favor and it would all be over very quickly.

As luck would have it, things went in the opposite direction. It took all day to find him guilty. Now, he had self-righteousness, anger and resentment to deal with. At any rate, he was so angry he drove away from court like a mad man, and the police ended up placing him under arrest for resisting and traffic violations.

What would have happened if he had followed some Zen advice, and dropped all expectations? He may not have been pleased with the outcome but he also may not have set himself up for a world of trouble. Most likely, he would have faced the final outcome, and not have had to deal with the negative product of his disappointed expectations.

Drop all expectations, either good or bad. Deal with things as they really are in the moment. Focus on doing your very best, and leave it at that. There are no guarantees in life.
    Jeffrey