Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attention vs Concentration

betaboybetaboy Veteran
edited January 2014 in General Banter
Sit down, close your eyes, do nothing. Many things may try to get your attention - bodily sensations, thoughts, sounds, etc. Simply observe them. Whatever crops up, that is your objection of attention.

Suppose you focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, that puts a strain on your mind. There is anxiety because you're afraid your mind may wander. There is also stress because you're constantly fighting off objects other than the object on which you're focusing. This is what concentration is - an exclusive activity that creates stress.

Attention, otoh, is all-inclusive. No strain, no anxiety, no effort. So you decide which one you want to practice.

Thanks for reading. Best of luck.
seeker242JeffreyRodrigosova

Comments

• You don't know what you're talking about, @betaboy.
    Invincible_summerChaz
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    You've never done this, have you?
    Invincible_summer
  • EvenThirdEvenThird NYC Veteran
    To me, "concentration" always implied a positive single-pointedness... a resting there..
    There is no "fighting" nor "object" of focus
    There is no "anxiety" or fear of your mind wandering..

Perhaps it's just a disagreement on the definition/usage in common Buddhist context... IMO the difference between the two words isn't that important, especially if your definitions are experiential/only applicable to your practice :)

Does focusing on the implied characteristics of those words really affect your meditation that much?
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    In simple terms paying attention consistently to the same object leads to concentration.
    EvenThird
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @betaboy, do me a favour:
    pay attention, concentrate, and put your damned threads in the right forums! I keep having to move yours from 'Buddhism for beginners' usually to general banter....!
  • federica said:

@betaboy, do me a favour:
    pay attention, concentrate, and put your damned threads in the right forums! I keep having to move yours from 'Buddhism for beginners' usually to general banter....!

Later on, you can brag: Before enlightenment, I moved threads and warned betaboy. After enlightenment, I moved threads and warned betaboy. ;)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    before enlightenment, i moved threads and warned betaboy I'd kick @ss.
    After enlightenment, I moved threads and warned betaboy AND kicked @ss....
  • Federica, thank you for your perseverance and patience.
  • federica said:

before enlightenment, i moved threads and warned betaboy I'd kick @ss.
    After enlightenment, I moved threads and warned betaboy AND kicked @ss....

You are a kick-a$$ bodhisatva. :om:
    Deleted off-topic discussion. Pointless.....