Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Suicide

A friend of mine has just taken his own life... what are the Buddhist thoughts on suicide please?

Comments

• jaejae Veteran
    @Glow... he didn't have much of a family his father didn't want to know and his mother couldn't cope, he was brought up by the priest at a local church in Guernsey after that he lived a solitary life in France, he lost his job last year I guess that must have tipped him over the edge, very sad. My Dad knew the 'brothers' that looked after him and took him under his wing, he'd come and visit us regularly ... shame we didn't know he was suffering so much
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    Depends on what motivated it (this was the gist of the Dalai Lama's discussion on self immolation). There have been cases where monks motivated by their failing health would commit suicide without condemnation. This only demonstrates that Buddhism in general doesn't automatically count suicide as a sin.

That said, it isn't a solution either, and to not condemn it on some level is to suggest it's okay, which in turn will encourage other people to copy it-- the sociologists have well documented that if lots of newspaper articles run about suicide or if they don't portray it in a sufficiently negative fashion there will be copy cats, sometimes a lot.

As for how the living should view a suicide, maybe better to view it like any other death-- a reminder to the living of impermanence, an opportunity to practice compassion for those in suffering, even if they are now beyond actual help.

jaeJeffrey
  • jaejae Veteran
    There is an open evening for the local samaritan's next week, I was thinking about volunteering, this has made my mind up.
    lobsteranatamanInvincible_summerGlow
  • jae said:

There is an open evening for the local samaritan's next week, I was thinking about volunteering, this has made my mind up.

Then something good has come from it.
    Buddhism is about fostering compassion for all, whatever we may feel about their actions.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Glow... I totally agree with your edit mettha
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    Buddhist thoughts on suicide;
    He'll be back, same shit, different life.

My apologies if that sounds harsh or disrespectful, but your friend will be back, in another life, with much the same karma as he had in this life.
    In Buddhism, suicide is not an escape.

I've had two good friends and two cousins kill themselves, and my grandmother attempted it, so I know how you might be feeling; take care of yourself.
    *imaginary hug*

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I am sorry to hear that @jae.

Contemplating death and it's different aspects is something we all must do at some time.

Western society is poor at doing it.

Compassion for the dead and dying is something that brings focus and concentration.

Mettha
    Invincible_summerTheswingisyellow
  • jaejae Veteran
    @JamestheGiant .......Sorry to hear about your family loss...no offence taken, hi by the way, I have lived with depression/negative thought patterns for years and had moments of 'those' thoughts in the past, never attempted, just thoughts but I'm lucky to have a beautiful family to think about that have always supported me, if I was alone, struggling it may have been a different storey, or no storey or a story that's told over and over again.

So far in my life death has never really upset me, my elder relations were sick and it was a great release for them, with my friend Fabien that took his life I'm not sad he is dead just that he was alone... thanks for the comment and vertual hug...back at ya.. mettha
  • jaejae Veteran
    @anataman..... me too... mettha
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    I'm very sorry to hear about your friend, @jae. I hope you are able to find peace. It's not easy... never easy to lose someone you know. Especially when it's unexpected (but when is it ever truly expected?), it feels like someone is just ripped out of your life, leaving a void.

Some unsolicited advice: direct your energy towards a goal that would honour the memory of your friend.
  • So sorry to hear about your friend committing suicide. My lama says it happens when someone is suffering so much and they think of it as a way to 'get away from' their pain. She says the problem is that it reinforces the tendency to reject our experience and have it some way other than what it is. If you believe in rebirth then you can see the advantages of taking the pain to your practice.

But there are plenty of Bodhisattvas who volunteer to go to the realms that suicides are reborn in (I believe in rebirth).

Feel free to contact me on NB. I have felt like offing myself before and am feeling much better now.
    Straight_Man
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    edited January 2014
    My father commited suicide, I am sorry for your and his loved ones grief and loss. As stated earlier it's a contracted state of mind that makes it difficult to see alternatives. In Buddhist terms it's one of the three kinds of cravings, a desire for non- existence vibhava tanha. Things are perceived as so bad the person only wants the pain to cease. The desire can be mild, such as when one experiences humiliation to its most extreme form. My heart to you.
  • Jae, I am so sorry to hear this. Overwhelming sadness. I hope your volunteering helps.
  • jaejae Veteran
    For everyone.... thanks for you wisdom, love and kindness. My heart goes out to all of you that have lost loved ones.

@Jeffrey.. I've read a little about the realms of the hungry ghosts and the Bodhisattvas that that go there, do you ever think that we are in that realm? I know little but shouldn't we all strive to be Bodhisttvas? I couldn't imagine wanting to find Nirvana if I knew there were so many people left behind ... what are your thoughts that's addressed to anyone that's reading.. please feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood, I'm reading so much its kind of confusing sometimes ... mettha to all, have a good day where ever you are x
  • jaejae Veteran
    For everyone.... thanks for you wisdom, love and kindness. My heart goes out to all of you that have lost loved ones.

@Jeffrey.. I've read a little about the realms of the hungry ghosts and the Bodhisattvas that that go there, do you ever think that we are in that realm? I know little but shouldn't we all strive to be Bodhisttvas? I couldn't imagine wanting to find Nirvana if I knew there were so many people left behind ... what are your thoughts that's addressed to anyone that's reading.. please feel free to correct me if I've misunderstood, I'm reading so much its kind of confusing sometimes ... mettha to all, have a good day where ever you are x
  • jae said:

A friend of mine has just taken his own life... what are the Buddhist thoughts on suicide please?

One of the layman precepts is not to take life. I suppose that includes one's own life.
  • jae said:

You sound like you have some good ideas. You are in no need of correcting.
    anatamanlobster
  • I agree with the gist of the responses here. Compassion and understanding should rule the day.
    One thing that always helped me...and this might be a bit radical...I deeply believe in freedom to the point that I feel that resenting a person for committing suicide is tantamount to binding him/her.
    I think of it in terms of allowing a person to leave in your own mind..it's like a moment where you say 'who am I to say you cannot depart of your own will'..

I guess what I'm saying is, you really can accept it, completely (without saying that it was something you...'endorse' for lack of better word. this is very hard to express.)
    I also very much agree with @ourself in saying that it is indeed a matter of degree...and to further that point there are many people on this earth who are still breathing but have long ago 'given up' in some form or another.

But @jae make no mistake, suicide is a very heavy emotional load on the survivors. No one can expect you to be unaffected or serene. Don't be afraid to ask for help, and ignore anyone who tells you to simply 'get over it'. Wish you well.

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    jae said:

The Buddha didn't really say much on the topic. There are cases in the Pali Canon where monks have committed suicide — whether due to an incurable illness and unbearable pain, aversion and disgust with the body, etc. — but it's seems that only those who are free from greed, hatred, and delusion are entirely blameless in such actions, i.e., there's only fault when one "gives up this body and seizes another" (MN 144). Not because it's some kind of terrible, evil act, but because it won't end suffering.

One moment of consciousness conditions the arising of next (rebirth), just as one action conditions the quality of feeling a moment of consciousness cognizes (kamma); and if one accepts the teachings on rebirth, this process doesn't ceases at death if there's still craving (tahna) present in the mind (in the this case, craving for non-becoming). Hence the Buddha's statement, "If someone gives up this body and seizes another, I say it is a fault" (MN 144).

When it comes to our practical day-to-day lives, however, we're not always capable of being as stoic as we may wish to be; and sadly, enduring all of the difficult circumstances that life has to throw at us isn't always possible. It sucks when people we know end their own lives because their absence affects us. But it sucks just as much when they die naturally or in an accident. Death is something we're all continually confronted with, and I don't think we should worry about what others have to say about it so much as about how its presence can help motive us to practice and be better to one another.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @oceancaldera207..good morning, I understand you completely, thanks for your comments. I may be in a different place if it were a family member I can imagine there would be more guilt to deal with.

I'm don't think I can call myself a Buddhist just yet, but I feel comfortable with what I have learnt so far and what I have learnt is certainly helping my personal journey and everyday ups and downs. Have a great day.

@Jason.... I agree with you, his death has prompted me to do something (positive) I should have done a long time ago. mettha
  • corkcork Explorer

My father commited suicide, I am sorry for your and his loved ones grief and loss. As stated earlier it's a contracted state of mind that makes it difficult to see alternatives. In Buddhist terms it's one of the three kinds of cravings, a desire for non- existence vibhava tanha. Things are perceived as so bad the person only wants the pain to cease. The desire can be mild, such as when one experiences humiliation to its most extreme form. My heart to you.

My dad took the plunge when I was 9. How old were you? Lucinda Williams has a lot of songs about suicide. It really helps me to listen to them on his anniversary. Before the internet you couldn't talk about suicide. In the real world, everybody looks at their watches, marvels at the time and runs away when they find out about my past.

• That's good that you can talk about it here, cork.
  • corkcork Explorer
    Thanks. Really, I mean it. It's been a long hard road. My family has always been so chipper. Victorian, really. You really have to spend a long time being angry or whatever...feeling what you feel.
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    @Cork I was 26 years old. I don't dwell on it and it something that has become easier with time. Feel free to say whatever is on your mind pretty open minded compassionate group. We might have different paths but we all experience life in much the same way. We all suffer, are bored, feel wonder, anxiety and joy at this life.
  • corkcork Explorer
    I'm fine with it now. Had a headache for three solid years and the better part of the next 20. The important thing was to know that I was pissed about it. When I realized that simple fact, I could get on with things and everything was okay. Seriously, listen to Lucinda's "Pineola". She nails the Should-I-cry-or-should-I-hit-someone feeling that goes along with suicide.

So, I'm an expert on muscular headaches. If anybody's had a headache for more than 3 days, contact me.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @cork.... hello nice to meet you, thanks for sharing your storey it must have been very confusing at 9 years old and @Theswingisyellow just as confusing at 26.

Having had those thoughts in the past in my opinion depression is very hard to explain, for me having post natal depression I actually 'thought' it would be better for my kids if I were not here.. an ongoing argument ..... 'taking my own life would have an impact but would it be less than being brought up by me, if I ran away and just left them would the abandonment be worse' round and round and round it went.......its not always as selfish in the head of the person in that situation.

At that time I hated myself so much I was consumed by it.

However I'm so glad I 'won' the agrument. I can sympathise with your parents choice, I'm not sure if my take on it will give you any peace of mind or a little more understanding, that is my intention. love and hugs to you both xx
  • corkcork Explorer
    I'm glad you won, too. The thing about suicide is that it seems like a final solution. It isn't. It just brings about more problems. You've spared your kids tons of them.
  • jaejae Veteran
    @cork...mettha
    Thank you @jae. This is not hard thing for me now, concerning my father. Depression as with all things, all emotions, arise from multiple causes and conditions. The problem comes when we don't recognize its insubstantiality and we identify and become one with it. In Buddhist terms we have given birth to this new identity, we cling to this, but you know what they say about clinging, it always results in suffering. One whose mind is inclining towards a depressive state, is a mind that becomes closed and myopic, they can see nothing else. This false view only fuels this state and for some they can see no other alternative other than dying. I know, I have been there too.
    All the best to you, blessings and metta.
    Todd
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Theswingisyellow...I'm glad its not a hard thing for you now. I've never even told anyone how I felt before ... its good to talk, thanks for listening ..Jaki sending you loving kindness
    Theswingisyellow
    @jae Metta to you:
    Here is one of my favorite suttas; the Metta Sutta:

This is what should be done
    By one who is skilled in goodness,
    And who knows the path of peace:
    Let them be able and upright,
    Straightforward and gentle in speech.
    Humble and not conceited,
    Contented and easily satisfied.
    Unburdened with duties and frugal in their ways.
    Peaceful and calm, and wise and skillful,
    Not proud and demanding in nature.
    Let them not do the slightest thing
    That the wise would later reprove.
    Wishing: In gladness and in saftey,
    May all beings be at ease.
    Whatever living beings there may be;
    Whether they are weak or strong, omitting none,
    The great or the mighty, medium, short or small,
    The seen and the unseen,
    Those living near and far away,
    Those born and to-be-born,
    May all beings be at ease!

Let none deceive another,
    Or despise any being in any state.
    Let none through anger or ill-will
    Wish harm upon another.
    Even as a mother protects with her life
    Her child, her only child,
    So with a boundless heart
    Should one cherish all living beings:
    Radiating kindness over the entire world
    Spreading upwards to the skies,
    And downwards to the depths;
    Outwards and unbounded,
    Freed from hatred and ill-will.
    Whether standing or walking, seated or lying down
    Free from drowsiness,
    One should sustain this recollection.
    This is said to be the sublime abiding.
    By not holding to fixed views,
    The pure-hearted one, having clarity of vision,
    Being freed from all sense desires,
    Is not born again into this world.

JeffreyjaeEvenThirdAllbuddhaBound
  • jaejae Veteran
    @Theswingisyellow.......so beautiful, thank you for sharing that :)
    I love the Metta Sutta.... totally open, loving and compassionate without reservation. I wish I was there....work in progress :)
    All the best to you jae
    jae
  • So many sad stories. For the people who have given up their lives in pursuit of peace, I truly regret that the world they lived in hurt this much, and I pledge to do my part to make this world a better place. Nothing grand such as ending all hatred, intolerance or cruelty, but by striving to be kind and compassionate with all of my simple acts. It is all I can do.
    jae
  • jaejae Veteran
    @AllbuddhaBound... lovely sentiments, you are an inspiration may you be well, happy and at ease
  • rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
    According to Buddhism he has to start it again in new birth depends upon his/her virtue.
    But some astrology says they gains better chance in next life.
    jae