Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What are responsibilities of youngest brother towards elder sister as per Buddhism?

rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran
In Hinduism brother has to protect his sister. Is there anything said in Buddhism about responsibilities of youngest brother towards older sisters.

Comments

• matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    edited January 2014
    When Buddhism got to China, the Chinese incorporated filial piety into Buddhism (towards parents and siblings).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutra_of_Filial_Piety

Some of the incorporation was mental gymnastics-- the stereotypical Buddhist idea is a monk who gives up his home and family to join the sangha-- a big Chinese no-no.

So the sangha got reframed as sort of a family of it's own-- for example monks could "inherit" a temple from the monk who ordained them. And a monks duties to their biological parents included the transference of merit to your parents-- one story recounts how a monk saved his departed mom from the realm of Hungry ghosts.

I don't have the reference, but some historian argued that when Buddhism was in India, that monks didn't follow the stereotypical renunciate ideal and mixed Buddhism and general Indian custom, which would have included duties to parents as per usual (but I suppose up to but not including having making grand kids for the parents!).
    rohit
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    It's anew day. Today I have the opportunity to breath new air and leave yesterday behind.
    It's a new day for Buddhadharma too.
    The opportunity to leave the dust and heat and culture and noise of Asia behind.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    @Citta, the comment is completely off-topic..... unless you have a relative point..... (pun unintentional).
  • CittaCitta Veteran
    edited January 2014
    I think it's entirely on topic Federica.
    Filial and familial responsibility as defIned in Asian culture were redefined by Buddhadharma and replaced by relationship freely entered into.
  • rohit said:

In Hinduism brother has to protect his sister. Is there anything said in Buddhism about responsibilities of youngest brother towards older sisters.

This was the OP.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The link is tenuous and cryptic to say the least.
    I actually still don't get what your point is. The question is simple. a simple answer, with reference where need be, would be welcome.
  • Maybe Rohit can decide whether it makes sense to him. It was he I was addressing.
  • matthewmartinmatthewmartin Amateur Bodhisattva Suburbs of Mt Meru Veteran
    When Buddhism and Chinese culture collided, the Buddhists had to face the charge of being fundamentally immoral on account of the monastic ideal (leave your parents, family and have no children! worst thing you could do)

The Buddhist solution was to see everyone as your family, since if you believe in full strength reincarnation, everyone has been your father, brother, and 3rd cousin before, an infinite # of times.

Now apply this to the 4000 other family systems and cultures around the world and the answer is the same-- regardless to the social contract you are born into, in the Buddhist system, you should see everyone, including blood relations as family.

While modern times may have lifted the burden of taking care of mom & dad when they are senile from the kids (hospices and hospitals do the work now, paid by pensions), it doesn't lift the burden from Buddhists-- our task is actually more burdensome, we are now responsible for everyone.

David
  • But we do it more or less voluntarily...
    Don't we do everything 'more or less' voluntarily....?