Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do Schizophrenics Live in Parallel Universes? (Is this Dangerous?)

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
I don't know, but it seems that this would be dangerous type of research? However, necessary, as it helps with the study of Schizophrenics mind frame? When I was younger I believed that I suffered from this, and still at times fall into things, as "hearing voices," This is interesting research into Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics.

http://www.psychologytomorrowmagazine.com/dr-joseph-valks-schizophrenics-live-parallel-universes/
http://redicecreations.com/article.php?id=28556
http://www.ghosttheory.com/2013/12/31/do-schizophrenics-live-in-parallel-universes

Comments

• anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    We will have to get the Schizophrenics to seriously look at what you are saying and comment. I am not schizophrenic, but this seems a little provocative and unfounded. The only universe I can comment on is this one.

And although it's weird at times, and have had some weird experiences, they have only been mine; I can't say I am interconnected to others in a parallel universe, I know only thatI am actually disconnected from you. You are suggesting that the minds of certain individuals be able to communicate through some absurd energy intensive mechanism. It might be a prerequisite mind produced from a genetic mutation that would enable it to produce some kind of wormhole vortex, that if combined with a rare, but repeatable quantum phenomena, that they could manipulate, and were aware that they could manipulate it in a manner that the quantum field would not collapse around them instantaneously because it recognised that it was being observed then yes perhaps some mind could simultaneously reside in parallel universes.

Oh I see where you are going with this one ;-) Good luck in your enquiry.

Shut up $"][+-

No (*76^%4"{)

• Possibly.

I have known schizophrenics who were able to make use of their ability to hear or see things that normally are unsettling. How for example would most of us deal with the arrival in person of wrathful deities? Mostly medication required just to reside with others in this dimension . . .

Quantum tunnelling is a biological fact. How deep the evolutionary capacity goes? Who knows.
    http://tmxxine.tumblr.com/quantumbiology

:wave:
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran
    @Lobster - I like what you have created, but cannot follow it, because I am not there. How is it there by the way - enjoying it?

'Quantum tunnelling is a biological fact. How deep the evolutionary capacity goes? Who knows.
    http://tmxxine.tumblr.com/quantumbiology'

You should change your name to Loki!
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    Seems more like science fiction than science to me but who knows. I guess if research into the idea doesn't diminish from the treatment or lead to a greater stigmatization of mental illness then it seems like a legitimate line of questioning to me.

It feels to me like it belittles the pain and suffering someone with schizophrenia undergoes though.

Regardless, at present it is only pretty wild speculation and doesn't really deserve much of our attention. Best just to chalk it up to weird internet stuff and leave it be.
    anataman
  • HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran
    Ask the person with schizophrenia what the quality of their life is like, if it's important whether or not their brain is a 'portal' to subtle levels of reality or just a 'disease'.

It's a huge lack of empathy, on our part, to assume what schizophrenia REALLY is. I don't mean a person with this lack of empathy is a terrible person, just an ignorant person, and ignorant simply because they don't KNOW. In that regard, we are a mass of 7 billion human beings all in various states of ignorance about something.

We are all guilty of failure of empathy, but it's a work in progress. Questions like this are better for realizing how ignorant and unempathetic we are than whatever answer we can come up with.

On a personal note I've known people with schizophrenia in person. I saw them at their worst, when decompensated or so terribly impaired they need 25/7 sheltered care, so my view is skewed toward the extreme suffering. I am aware of many many more people with schizophrenia who's symptoms impair their life only a bit. None that I've ever known related to their schizophrenia as a gift imparting special abilities or blessings, but I'm sure they are out there. I suspect if the person regards their schizophrenia as a 'gift' it's in the same way people come to see a tragedy as a blessing -- in disguise, and THEN only after long years of coming to terms with it in a culture that loathes mental illness.

Gassho :)
    DaltheJigsawCitta
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Jeffrey said:

I'm schizophrenic with various symptoms but the thought of living in another universe never occured to me.

My illness is a gift for having patience with voices and seeing them as empty chatter.

Thank you! Was waiting for your reply!
    Hamsaka said:

Ask the person with schizophrenia what the quality of their life is like, if it's important whether or not their brain is a 'portal' to subtle levels of reality or just a 'disease'.

It's a huge lack of empathy, on our part, to assume what schizophrenia REALLY is. I don't mean a person with this lack of empathy is a terrible person, just an ignorant person, and ignorant simply because they don't KNOW. In that regard, we are a mass of 7 billion human beings all in various states of ignorance about something.

We are all guilty of failure of empathy, but it's a work in progress. Questions like this are better for realizing how ignorant and unempathetic we are than whatever answer we can come up with.

On a personal note I've known people with schizophrenia in person. I saw them at their worst, when decompensated or so terribly impaired they need 25/7 sheltered care, so my view is skewed toward the extreme suffering. I am aware of many many more people with schizophrenia who's symptoms impair their life only a bit. None that I've ever known related to their schizophrenia as a gift imparting special abilities or blessings, but I'm sure they are out there. I suspect if the person regards their schizophrenia as a 'gift' it's in the same way people come to see a tragedy as a blessing -- in disguise, and THEN only after long years of coming to terms with it in a culture that loathes mental illness.

Gassho :)

Thank you!
  • anandoanando Explorer
    Hi,
    it´s a bit difficult to regard schizophria and the buddhist way of seeing, hearing with thei secon: ear, skin, eye.
    To define schizophrenie as aBrain that directs the impulses in other ways, than the brains of the so called normal people do. Different kind of working with brain.It´s my own opinion and poor experience in this kind of mental sickness, that these people are a lot mor open from the beyond.
    For the so called nrmal people it is a hard time, working on this second abilities and still
    being normal in mind.
    So G.Buddho said, that only people with sound mind can go the 8fold path.
    Tearing apart mind and body would make these people`s sickness even worsse.

sakko
  • anando said:

Hi,
    it´s a bit difficult to regard schizophria and the buddhist way of seeing, hearing with thei secon: ear, skin, eye.
    To define schizophrenie as aBrain that directs the impulses in other ways, than the brains of the so called normal people do. Different kind of working with brain.It´s my own opinion and poor experience in this kind of mental sickness, that these people are a lot mor open from the beyond.
    For the so called nrmal people it is a hard time, working on this second abilities and still
    being normal in mind.
    So G.Buddho said, that only people with sound mind can go the 8fold path.
    Tearing apart mind and body would make these people`s sickness even worsse.

sakko

What ?
  • @anando, It's in a way true that schizophrenics have a hard time practicing, but it is not true that they cannot attempt to follow the eightfold path.

An example is that my body feels excruciating nerve (life energy) pain if I sit past 5 minutes. So although I sit a total of 30 to 60 minutes a day I can never do long sitting sessions. I can do long walking however. And I can do short sittings.
  • ZeroZero Veteran
    LeonBasin said:

I don't know, but it seems that this would be dangerous type of research?
    However, necessary, as it helps with the study of Schizophrenics mind frame? When I was younger I believed that I suffered from this, and still at times fall into things, as "hearing voices,"
    This is interesting research into Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics.

http://www.psychologytomorrowmagazine.com/dr-joseph-valks-schizophrenics-live-parallel-universes/

http://www.ghosttheory.com/2013/12/31/do-schizophrenics-live-in-parallel-universes

The Psychology Tomorrow article by Dr Valks seems to have inspired the 2 further links which do not add more to the initial blog.
    It didn't read as published or reported research (into QM) but rather Dr Valks' browsing opinion - good hits against his name.
    Probably the most coherent explanations of dimensions and / or QM are derived by physics (applied maths) - the concepts themselves are physics concepts applying within a physics / maths based framework.
    Dr Valks does not seem to display any regard for the physics / maths principles that he has colourfully applied - perhaps by analogy or metaphor, there is some coincidental substance to his proposition however he seems to be falling into the layman's trap of envisaging 'higher' dimensions and magical QM within this particular reportable experience.
    (for example, drawing a dot on a piece of paper is not 1D, drawing a graph is not 2D...)
    DaltheJigsaw
    Zero said:

LeonBasin said:

I don't know, but it seems that this would be dangerous type of research?
    However, necessary, as it helps with the study of Schizophrenics mind frame? When I was younger I believed that I suffered from this, and still at times fall into things, as "hearing voices,"
    This is interesting research into Quantum Mechanics/Quantum Physics.

The Psychology Tomorrow article by Dr Valks seems to have inspired the 2 further links which do not add more to the initial blog.
    It didn't read as published or reported research (into QM) but rather Dr Valks' browsing opinion - good hits against his name.
    Probably the most coherent explanations of dimensions and / or QM are derived by physics (applied maths) - the concepts themselves are physics concepts applying within a physics / maths based framework.
    Dr Valks does not seem to display any regard for the physics / maths principles that he has colourfully applied - perhaps by analogy or metaphor, there is some coincidental substance to his proposition however he seems to be falling into the layman's trap of envisaging 'higher' dimensions and magical QM within this particular reportable experience.
    (for example, drawing a dot on a piece of paper is not 1D, drawing a graph is not 2D...)
    Thank you for your contribution! Interesting stuff!