Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Setting change: post editing timeout

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator

Those with the "Veteran" rank (100+ posts) may now edit content for up to 4 hours. The default remains at 15 minutes otherwise.

BhikkhuJayasaraanataman

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Given my sloppiness, I am grateful.

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited March 2014

Thanks Lincoln,
    It's just about the time it takes me to recognize my posting errors.

lobsteranataman
  • I'm curious, because I know you have a lot of experience managing forums: Don't the kind of jerks who would abuse this tend to reach 100 posts pretty quickly?

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@Lincoln said:
    Those with the "Veteran" rank (100+ posts) may now edit content for up to 4 hours. The default remains at 15 minutes otherwise.

Hey, cool! Sometimes I need the extra time. Thanks. :)

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited March 2014

@fivebells said:
    I'm curious, because I know you have a lot of experience managing forums: Don't the kind of jerks who would abuse this tend to reach 100 posts pretty quickly?

The primary scenarios the timeout protects against are spammers editing posts with links later (extremely unlikely to hit 100 posts) and rage-quitters who decide they want to delete their entire history on the site as a final snub (which is why it's still 4 hours and not forever). If someone wants to really try to misbehave in a 4-hour window, we have edit logs.

I think it's also a nice reward for folks who stick around past their first few comments without being so good that someone would rush to 100 just to get it.

• @how said:
    Thanks Lincoln,
    It's just about the time it takes me to recognize my posting errors.

Me 2
    Me to
    . . . four hours later . . .

Yep!
    Many thanks. Me

WonderingSeekeranataman