Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Elohim: Man or Monster?

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited December 2006 in General Banter
Everyone,

Perhaps my screen name has finally gotten to my head. Maybe one day I will convince Brian to create a section just for me so that I can basically have my own little world in which to control—I could become GOD EMPEROR OF NEWBUDDHIST.COM! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sincerely,

Leto II

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Hmmm...

If you get to be Leto II... I guess I'll be... ... ...

Duncan "Doughnuts" Idaho.

-bf
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Duncan,

My faithful companion throughout the loneliness of the centuries—how long before you eventually turn against me, and I am forced to kill you yet again? Will you never understand my Golden Path? I will teach humanity a lesson that they will remember in their bones!

Regards,

Leto II
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Everyone,

Perhaps my screen name has finally gotten to my head. Maybe one day I will convince Brian to create a section just for me so that I can basically have my own little world in which to control—I could become GOD EMPEROR OF NEWBUDDHIST.COM! MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sincerely,

Leto II

I thought you were already......
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Just remember what happened to Leto II, how far he removed himself from simple humanity and how he chose to be destroyed for love. Do not forget that his disappearance left humanity quite unable to deal with the Honoured Matres and how disgusting his constant revival and destruction of Duncan after Duncan.

Leto II is the ultimate threat to human independence and development. He is stasis, and the final destruction of democracy and republicanism. He is the final appeal to force as the closing argument.

Is this, indeed, how we should see you now, Jason?
    edited November 2006
    Wow...

You are trippin' Jason.

On a side note, I've just finished:

Dune: House Atriedes
    Dune: House Harokonnen
    Dune: House Corrino

And I'm working on Dune: The Butlerian Jihad.

Actually, they are really good books!

Did you know that Vlad Harkonnen used to be tight and svlet? Until he got and STD from Reverend Mother Gaius Mohaim?

-bf

-bf
    edited November 2006
    My dearest Simon,

I thought that was how you saw me.

Disgustingly yours,

Leto II
    edited November 2006
    What am I eliminating? The bourgeois infatuation with peaceful conservation of the past. This is a binding force, a thing which holds humankind into one vulnerable unit in spite of illusionary separations across parsecs of space. If I can find the scattered bits, others can find them. When you are together, you can share a common catastrophe. You can be exterminated together. Thus, I demonstrate the terrible danger of a gliding, passionless mediocrity, a movement without ambitions or aims. I show you that entire civilizations can do this thing. I give you eons of life which slips gently toward death without fuss or stirring, without even asking 'Why?' I show you the false happiness and the shadow-catastrophe called Leto, the God Emperor. Now, will you learn the real happiness?

-The Stolen Journals
    edited November 2006
    I could get used to being a prescient Sandworm...
    edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    I could get used to being a prescient Sandworm...

But then you would have to be aiming at the only way out of "the bourgeois infatuation with peaceful conservation of the past", which is enshrined in ancient texts, and that way, for Leto, was to fracture without dying. Omniscience in his case and invulnerability to everything except romantic love was the road to hell.
    edited November 2006
    Everyone,

For a possible topic for discussion:
    In all of my universe I have seen no law of nature, unchanging and inexorable. This universe presents only changing relationships which are sometimes seen as laws by short-lived awareness. These fleshly sensoria which we call self are ephemera withering in the blaze of infinity, fleetingly aware of temporary conditions which confine our activities and change as our activities change. If you must label the absolute, use it's proper name: Temporary.

-The Stolen Journals

Was the God Emperor a Buddhist?

Curiously,

Leto II
    edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Everyone,

For a possible topic for discussion:

Was the God Emperor a Buddhist?

Curiously,

Leto II

Well he certainly wasn't a buddha!
    edited November 2006
    But then you would have to be aiming at the only way out of "the bourgeois infatuation with peaceful conservation of the past", which is enshrined in ancient texts, and that way, for Leto, was to fracture without dying. Omniscience in his case and invulnerability to everything except romantic love was the road to hell.

Simon,

Yes, but it is all part of the Golden Path...

Sacrifices must be made, and love is hell.

Leto II
    edited November 2006
    Well he certainly wasn't a buddha!

Simon,

A misunderstood Bodhisattva perhaps?

Leto II
    edited November 2006
    Elohim wrote:
    Simon,

A misunderstood Bodhisattva perhaps?

Leto II

Not even that, alas. His indulgence in his own will and his oppression put him more in Mara's camp. Just like Alia, he is an abomination.
    edited November 2006
    Just like Alia, he is an abomination.

Simon,

Perhaps through your eyes, but not so much mine.

Leto II
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited November 2006
    you guys are weird :tonguec:

_/\_
    edited November 2006
    We do our best. :D
    edited November 2006
    Hmm...

I never got to God Emperor. I heard it was extremely slow and boring. Much of how I found myself trying to plow through Children.

But, once I through reading about Serena Butler, brave Xavier Harkonnen and traitorous Vorian Atriedes. Siding with the machines for crissake!

I will finish these, then hit Emporer, Heretics and Chapterhouse.

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    What...on...earth...are...you...people...talking...about...???

(Wow! Look at the number of my posts!! Cool!!)
    edited November 2006
    Brigid,

We are referring to the Dune series which was started by Frank Herbert and is still being continued by his son. The back story about the 'machines' and the Butlerian jihad (interesting, eh?) has been completed and now the story moves forward with the return of the Honoured Matres. Chapters of the new book have been posted on the web and it has now appeared in hard copy: Hunters of Dune. I haven't indulged myself in that one yet.
    edited November 2006
    Don't forget the references to the Buddhallah, Buddhislamics and the Zensunni wanderers...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited November 2006
    Thanks, Simon!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited December 2006
    I am the Fremen leader!!! Make peace with me or die!!! :p
    edited December 2006
    This is my imitation of Jason...

I hope he doesn't read LOTR, or he'll start making us refer to him as Sauron.

-bf