Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Slow and Steady......

VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Changing the mind isn't like painting a room. You can change the color of a room in an hour. It takes a lot longer than that to transform an attitude of mind. Many people imagine that control of the mind is some kind of tight, restrictive bondage. Actually, true control is a natural state that arises moment to moment, simply from recognizing attachments as attachments, anger as anger, ego as ego.

There's no such thing as instant mental control.

Meditation teaches us to look within at what we are, to understand our own true nature. All the same, Buddhist meditation does not necessarily imply sitting in the lotus position with your eyes closed. Real meditation can be brought into every aspect of your daily life.

With Knowledge-Wisdom, change comes naturally; you don't have to squeeze, push, or pump yourself.

The undisciplined, uncontrolled mind comes naturally; therefore, so should it's antidote.

You can never force your internal world to change.

---Lama Thubten Yeshe

lobsterJeffreyanatamanHamsaka

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I was reading the Hare and the Tortoise to my daughter yesterday and was thinking how it related to the Buddhist path. The tortoise is very quiet and humble but has an inner confidence and strength that is required for the path.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

On the other hand, there's no need to get too upset when the hare comes calling: S/he's part of the mix -- or mix-up, depending on the point of view -- as well.

Vastmind
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited June 2014

Real meditation can be brought into every aspect of your daily life.

One of the things to become aware of is 'the transition' between formal practice and 'everyday consciousness'. In the ideal, the movement in, during and out of meditation is of the same quality.

Are you in the breath now? Are you in spaciousness now? Are you in the moment? Then what is this? Sleepy time or awakening? :wave: .

HamsakaVastmind
  • anatamananataman Who needs a title? Where am I? Veteran

@Bunks said:
    I was reading the Hare and the Tortoise to my daughter yesterday and was thinking how it related to the Buddhist path. The tortoise is very quiet and humble but has an inner confidence and strength that is required for the path.

And so is the hare a necessary companion and comparator, or else, how would it know it was quiet and humble...