Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you need to be jaded to become enlightened?

zenguitarzenguitar Bad BuddhistNew England Veteran

Greetings, patient Sangha. Here is another question that has been bothering me a little. As we all know, the Buddha was a prince who initially lived a sumptuous life in a palace full of inexhaustible luxuries and sense pleasures. By the time he left the palace to seek something more noble, I think it is pretty fair to say that he was kind of jaded toward those things, that is, weary of excessive sense pleasures. I am guessing that this attitude helped him achieve enlightenment more efficiently than others who are still caught up in those pleasures.

But of course the average person has never lived like an ancient Indian prince, and so the ordinary joe is unlikely to have the same world-weary attitude as Siddhartha Gautama when he left home. So I wonder, does this put us boring ordinary unprivileged folks at a disadvantage when it comes to losing our attachments to pleasure? Can you achieve enlightenment effectively without having a thorough experience of samsara first?

Comments

• howhow Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2014

@zenguitar

If one likens suffering's cause to a fire that a Buddhist practitioner is working to extinguish......

Big fire or small .....we are all just firemen/women with a job to do.

but there is a Zen expression..

Small ignorance= small potential enlightenment experience
    Big ignorance = a potentially big enlightenment experience.

This however actually only refers to a before /after comparison, and is not a statement that one enlightenment experience is preferable over the other.

It is more of an opportunity for a master to point out to a student who is spouting off about the size of their own experiences, that it isn't all that surprising to anyone considering what a doofas they been to teach to this point.

lobsterHamsakazenguitarInvincible_summer
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I like what @how quoted.

There you are with everything. Wife, newborn, luxury life. You give it up to live like an ancient street bum . . . oops holy yogurt . . .

Then . . . gawd knows how . . . realisation.

Oops you say. So humbled. So humiliated. You spend the rest of your life spreading the obvious. Gosh is that really how Buddhism started!

Maybe so. Maybe so . . . :p .

• gracklegrackle Veteran

I think a better question is how much time you or anyone else would spend trying to gain and experience the good life. Then when you have used so much of your effort to that end there is little time left for anything else.

• MeatballMeatball Explorer
    edited July 2014

@zenguitar said:
    Greetings, patient Sangha. Here is another question that has been bothering me a little. As we all know, the Buddha was a prince who initially lived a sumptuous life in a palace full of inexhaustible luxuries and sense pleasures. By the time he left the palace to seek something more noble, **I think it is pretty fair to say that he was kind of jaded toward those things, that is, weary of I am guessing that this attitude helped him achieve enlightenment more efficiently than others who are still caught up in those pleasures. **

But of course the average person has never lived like an ancient Indian prince, and so the ordinary joe is unlikely to have the same world-weary attitude as Siddhartha Gautama when he left home. So I wonder, does this put us boring ordinary unprivileged folks at a disadvantage when it comes to losing our attachments to pleasure? Can you achieve enlightenment effectively without having a thorough experience of samsara first?>

That was not what motivated him. He saw the ugly side reality when he went out to see the outside world. That made him think deeply about life.
    Here is the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YsEksMEE2Eg

Buddhadragon
  • MeatballMeatball Explorer
    edited July 2014

Zen,
    If you want to have better understanding about suffering and how it motivates people, you should also watch the video about Melarepa. There was a video at YouTube, but I couldn't find it. Maybe you should try Red Box or Netflix. Both Buddha and Melarepa experienced suffering in different ways. Buddha experienced it as a rich man, while Melarepa experienced it as a poor man.

zenguitar
  • ToraldrisToraldris   -`-,-{@     Zen Nud... Buddhist     @}-,-`-   East Coast, USA Veteran

There are always exceptions. The word "need" is misplaced, as is often the case. Of course being jaded with the ups-and-downs, the ceaseless search for happiness of Samsara, will predispose you to look for an alternative. Yet there are instances of people awakening without being necessarily "jaded", so...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2014

@zenguitar said:

Can you achieve enlightenment effectively without having a thorough experience of samsara first?

I think that without clearly seeing the nature of samsara and dukkha there would be little motivation to seek enlightenment. One would be basically content with the status quo, and worldly pleasures would seem like enough.

zenguitarupekka
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Thanks everyone, this gives me something to think about. I have always wondered though (respectfully), how people who have been monks since childhood could possibly fully understand samsara, since they have been virtuous and self-disciplined all the while, and hence haven't experienced the suffering of overindulgence (or any indulgence at all). But perhaps they experienced it in former lives...

• HamsakaHamsaka goosewhisperer Polishing the 'just so' Veteran

I don't think one can escape samsara in any way. Samsara is the weft in the weave LOL, and just as prevalent and ugly in a monk's life as it is in a rich Saudi prince's life. There have been expose's on sexual abuse in monasteries. Very young children who still need their mothers are placed in monasteries away from family and familiarity, those kids suffer terribly. I doubt the average six year old initiate has a sense of pride and a goal of Nirvana when they are shamed for crying for their mothers at night. Well, I'd like to think they are comforted . . . hopefully they are . . .

Anyway, samsara can put on an infinite variety of 'hats', so no one born here will escape suffering and at that level, suffering is relative. My point is, I'm pretty sure we ALL start out on equal footing, you have as much natural, inborn capacity for awakening as the little child monks. I'm not taking into account the tulkus (so called rebirthed teachers) because I don't really know much about them or how their wisdom and insight function after rebirth.

Overindulgence is relative . . . one little monk can eat his fellow monks bowl of rice as well as his own because the other monk has a belly ache -- and be in a position of 'overindulgence'. Having two pillows instead of one to sleep on, same thing. Having more fat on his body than his skinny fellows, same thing. Nope, no escape from samsara, even for the ones 'brought up' from earliest life in the monastery -- at least so I imagine :) .

zenguitar
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Even though they live a different life, they still suffer in their lives. They still lose their parents, they still lose siblings, they lose close friends, they get ill and suffer, they get frustrated with their teachers/fellow monks, and so on. There are monks who overindulge quite a lot to the point they are overweight and suffering diabetes like so many others in the world...because they eat what they are giving and sometimes that includes treats, soda, and other types of junk food. They aren't perfect just like the rest of us. They just have different sorts of problems.

zenguitarMeatball
  • zenguitarzenguitar Bad Buddhist New England Veteran

Good points @hamsaka and @karasti, thanks.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

No, you don't need to be jaded to become enlightened.
    You need to be touched by suffering.
    And dukkha has a way of showing its ugly nose independently of your social status and walk of life.
    For starters, the Buddha set out in life having lost his mother. Then, even before coming face to face with the realities of old age, illness and death, he must have perceived the first stirrings of dukkha behind the ephemeral pleasures afforded by his privileged life.
    Whatever your social standing, nothing is ever whole and complete, except that the grass always looks greener in one's neighbour's garden.
    Whatever your social standing, you're enlightenment material.

zenguitar
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The idea of conditions required for enlightenment is important but difficult to quantify. Being motivated or moved towards making sense of life the universe and everything is normally part of the requirement. It is possible that this can be triggered by external events or people. In a sense we all have the potential and requirements but Buddhist practice is a way to accelerate our potential. Some start a spiritual life without being jaded or disappointed with normal living samsara style . . . :wave: .

ToraldriszenguitarBuddhadragon
  • I reckon the Buddha left his palace because he was bored, & then became depressed when he saw reality for all the other people..He probably felt very guilty, which led him to his depression..I reckon even someone born rich is still here to be tested, as they will all experience loss/death & jealousy etc..Even the native red indians of america who i reckon we're enlightened people, would still have had some big questions going around inside their heads & will all experience jealousy & loss/death etc..So I'd say we are all here to be jaded, & we are all jaded with experiencing loss/death & jealousy etc..Their built in as defaults until we learn how to control our selves, & i just wonder where we go when we've learn't it all.

• upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited August 2014

@Hamsaka said:
    I don't think one can escape samsara in any way.

Nope, no escape from samsara,

until we see a glimpse of 'Light' we think what we have is only the darkness

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited August 2014

Lets think about it in the cultural context of the time. You have a man given to contemplation from a young age. He was given every pleasure we'd want in life, but yet there was always this sense of unsatisfactoriness. This is not the end all be all of his reasons though and played only a fairly small role in his renunciation.

He was hidden away from old age, sickness, and death, and it was in fact these three sights that when he first saw them and understood their implications, who wouldn't become disenchanted with life.

now of course if he was living in a christian, world, oh well I'll just suffer until I die then I go to heaven.. but he lived in a world of rebirth. It dawned over him, that he, and everyone he loved, was doomed to be born, grow sick, grow old and die..over, and over, and over, and over, and over again, as it was from beginningless time and shall be for eternity. That is where compassion kicked in, he wanted to find a way out of this trap (cue star wars ITS A TRAP meme :P) for both himself and all beings.

I don't know about you, but I've had enough realization with old age, sickness, and death to realize I sure as hell would not want to do that again. I'm with Siddhartha and feel the same way, although probably to a much lesser extent then he did... there is a term for that disenchantment, Nibbida.

nibbidā:
    Disenchantment; aversion; disgust; weariness. The skillful turning-away of the mind >from the conditioned samsaric world towards the unconditioned, the transcendent — >nibbāna

I'm not so sure the Buddha or any awakened being is jaded though:

"Jaded"

dulled or satiated by overindulgence: a jaded appetite.
    worn out or wearied, as by overwork or overuse.
    dissipated: a jaded reprobate.

Yes some of the definitions match, but Jaded has this extra connotation of negativity that is not there with Nibbida.

I think the difference lies in the definition of Nibbida as a "SKILLFUL" turning away. Where as a Jaded person is seen as a cynical negative person, something that is fairly unskillful and not very beneficial to themselves or others.

Regardless it is a hard thing to explain unless you have begin to develop the wisdom to see it for yourself.

zenguitar
  • ^^^ Jedi must we be not jaded . . . [said in my best Yoda voice]

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Jayantha said:

there is a term for that disenchantment, Nibbida.

Nibbida is good!