Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Mindworm mantras

SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
edited January 2007 in Sanghas
For the next couple of weeks, I shall be preparing to go on a week's study retreat. It has been quite a number of years since I had any formal training in the subject so I am revising.

One of the effects of intense reading and reflection, for me, is that I tend to pick up "mindworms". In the past, these have been songs or melodies. What usually happens is that I begin to notice that I am repeating a phrase or tune, over and over, subvocally. It appears to have been going on without my noticing, while I am doing something else which demands focused attention and appears to aid the process. When I sit back and allow my focus to rest, the repeated phrase drifts into awareness.

Sometimes it is annoying. The tunes that I used to get stuck in my head were inevitably the tritest, least 'cool'. Sometimes I could not even place the origin - which could become very annoying. Many times in the past, I have had to take specific action to stop the mindworm from its continuous loop.

The mindset in which I am working is what I refer to as an "autistic" one and I equate the mindworm with the accompanying, if mild, OCD.

What i have noticed recently is that whilst the process remains much the same, the content has changed. No longer do I hear Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep or showtunes. Now I find mantras and invocations running, like background music. As they rise into awareness, my reaction is also different: instead of trying to stop them with blocking tactics, I find myself allowing the ebb and flow, breathing with the words or tune.

I can only attribute this development to practice. Like the multiplication tables or grammar rules in Latin or mathematical formulae: constant, conscious repetition creates unconscious habits.

In a whimsical moment, I imagined myself as a prayer-wheel, set spinning by single-pointed focus.

The best part about it, for me, is that an annoyance has become a blessing. I can only trust that other beings may also benefit in some way.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited January 2007
    That is an interesting situation.

It seems that I always have some playing through my head. Some form of tune or melody or rhythm or chewing gum commercial.

I do not know that it has ever caused me any great concern or disturbance - except for those around me who have wondered how I can have music or rhythms running through my head or fingers all the time.

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    I do this too........But the one that gets on my nerves the most and the one that runs thro my head the most is ..........

And they were kung foo fighting ..........their hands are fast as lightening.........

Everybody know that song? It takes nothing to get it started in my head and then look out it can be there all day..........I know, I'm a freak.........go figure.....lol

Ok, shouldn't have said anything cause now it's in my head again..........lol
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    If I could only isolate the 'switch' that skipped the annoying tracks and went straight for the mantras, I could patent it! Unfortunately, it seems to have happened all on its own.
    edited January 2007
    Deb,

Wasn't it, in fact, a little bit frightening?
    How they fought with expert timing.

You have to worry about those funky China men from funky Chinatown
    Because I've heard they will be chopping you up and chopping you down.

Be careful.

-b (hiyah!)f
  • edited January 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Deb,

Wasn't it, in fact, a little bit frightening?
    How they fought with expert timing.

You have to worry about those funky China men from funky Chinatown
    Because I've heard they will be chopping you up and chopping you down.

Be careful.

-b (hiyah!)f

LOL

Someone who knows that silly song.........imagine all that running thro your head over and over all day........no wonder I'm on the edge... :crazy:
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    My teacher recorded a song called Invocation that has been going through my head more or less constantly ever since I first heard it over 14 years ago. It's actually a dakini's song to the guru. I knew it was something special when, after my second or third visit to the temple, I came home and could still hear it just like I was still at the temple. (You can hear it too on www.palyulproductions.org, if you're curious.

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, Pally.

I'm going to check it out now. I just LOVE techno!

-bf
    edited January 2007
    Oh man!

That sucks! I gotta buy before I try?

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I have mind worms, they make my backside itch like crazy
    edited January 2007
    I thought you had tapeworms...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I have mind worms, too! ALL the time! Usually songs from the 20's and 30's, popular stuff from those days. Lots of Gershwin, too. Don't know why. "Swanny, how I love ya, How I love ya..." Bicycle Built for Two (although that's earlier, isn't it?), "Yes, sir, she's my baby. No sir, I don't mean maybe..." Must be a combination of Bugs Bunny cartoons and advertisements on TV.

My sister and I used to do the dance to Kung Foo Fighting when I was little. I loved that song. lol! I had it on 45.

I'm trying to replace some of these worms with "I take refuge..." Sometimes I imagine that if I get killed accidentally somehow before I have the chance to learn what I'm supposed to do during the death process I'll just repeat "I take refuge..." over and over. You know, like if I'm in a car plummeting over the edge of a cliff? If I've really imprinted the Refuge Vow deeply on my mind maybe it'll break though the panic and shock and I'll be able to recite it over and over in my head as I die.

Was this too much information...?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    At that time, we had a wonderful family from Pakistan as our neighbours (their daughter eventually became my bridesmaid...) and the youngest child, Faisal (whom everyone called ChooChoo - don't ask me why, I dunno...) loved this song...
    he'd leap out in front of you, in the street, and yell:

"E'body wath kanfoo faitin'!"

and adopt the two-fist stance. It was hillarious, when he was around three....

The novelty wore off when he was still doing it at 27......
  • edited January 2007
    LOL
  • TribesmanTribesman Explorer
    edited January 2007
    The only way to successfully free your self from the song in your head is to give it to someone else. I had Petula Clark singing 'Downtown' in my noggin for a full fortnight until my lass picked it up from my random outbursts. Once it transfers you can live in peace although you won't be very popular for passing on the curse!
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    buddhafoot wrote:
    Oh man!

That sucks! I gotta buy before I try?

-bf

It should play when you open the Palyul Productions home page. If it's not playing, let me know, and we'll fix it.

Palzang
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Tribesman wrote:
    The only way to successfully free your self from the song in your head is to give it to someone else. I had Petula Clark singing 'Downtown' in my noggin for a full fortnight until my lass picked it up from my random outbursts. Once it transfers you can live in peace although you won't be very popular for passing on the curse!

Hmmm...a new twist on generosity!

Palzang
    edited January 2007
    Palzang wrote:
    It should play when you open the Palyul Productions home page. If it's not playing, let me know, and we'll fix it.

Palzang

I heard it.

I'll give a 9, Dick, cuz it's got a good beat and I can dance to it. :rockon:

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    I can hear it, Palzang. It's beautiful!
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    federica wrote:
    At that time, we had a wonderful family from Pakistan as our neighbours (their daughter eventually became my bridesmaid...) and the youngest child, Faisal (whom everyone called ChooChoo - don't ask me why, I dunno...) loved this song...
    he'd leap out in front of you, in the street, and yell:

"E'body wath kanfoo faitin'!"

and adopt the two-fist stance. It was hillarious, when he was around three....

The novelty wore off when he was still doing it at 27......

Hi all, the name Choo-Choo probably refers to a certain NUTBAG that was here in Australia in the 80's, this guy was around 23 . One day he decided that having obtained a certain degree of finesse in his chosen martial art (perhaps it was "no can do"), the type he was doing meant that at a high level-the human mind can "stop" anything-including trains...

He was last seen holding out his hand in a "stop" pose on the railway tracks while an express was headed straight for him-needless to say. it didn't "stop". he is postumously known as Choo-Choo.

Nutbag #2.

Around 10 years ago, at the melbourne zoo, another martial artist (get the pattern here?) decided that having obtained a certain degree of finesse in his chosen art, he entered the Lion enclosure (at night)-he stripped off his "civilian gear" and got into his Karate gear. he had told friends that his mind could control tigers and lions-they were "at one" with HIM.

The next morning, the keeper found a neatly stacked set of 'civilian gear and many shreds of blood-stained karate gear littering the compound.

His nickname, postumously given to him by me is 'Meat'.

:zombie: sorry.

kind regards,
    Xrayman:-/
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Thanks, Simon and all, for all this mindworm stuff.

On a somewhat different note:

867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. (Don't have a pencil. Don't interrupt me till I get this number memorized.) For a good time... 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. 867-5309. (Don't have a pencil. Don't interrupt me till I get this number memorized. I just gotta remember this number, just gotta.)

MAKES ME HIGH. So funny! Gotta laugh. Gotta laugh. Gotta laugh.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    okay for the last three days Ive had "I can dream about you, you know how to hold me tonight..." or something like that who the hell sang that??

BF, it was not you.. so stop having delusions of granduer (sp?) and I'm supposed to know that... :nonono:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Oh, man! That's gonna keep me up at night! Who does that song? It's from the 80's. Hey! I'm
    gonna Google it, Xray. I'll be right back.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Nope. Got nothing. It was one of those 80's bands....
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Somebody really should set up a search engine that looks for partial and inaccurately-remembered song lyrics! There are too many from the days when some of us were in altered states of consciousness.

I'll bet that people would pay for such a service.

Brian?
    edited January 2007
    Any chance this is the song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzKnz9hnL3Y

Dan Hartman singing 'I can dream about you'. :rockon:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    yes it was dan hartman. correct TM. Too late Brigid.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Damn!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2007
    The most annoying song is 'I don't care' by Chas 'n' Dave.....

See?

I told you.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    No way.

The absolute worst one is "the Pina Colada song".... If you like Pina Colada, getting caught in the rain. etc. etc.

AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH :zombie: <- this has just happened to me-I just looked in the mirror!
  • edited January 2007
    * * * it's a small world after all, it's a small world after all * * *
  • edited January 2007
    As I've already said, Mine is the Kung foo fighting song........But for anyone who has small children or has done baby sitting.

The Barney Song? That's a sticker.......I also knew it was time to stop doing day care when my husband started singing over and over the Sesame Street Song......knew all the words.....from beginning to end.......
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Jingles from TV ads! They're the worst!

Speaking of which, did you know that Barry Manilow has made many, many millions of dollars writing jungles? He wrote the Coca Cola one, I think it was "Have a coke and a smile". He also wrote one for McDonald's that they used for a long time. Millions of dollars, I tell you. Millions. If I'm ever lucky enough to be reborn as a human on earth again I'm going to be a jingle writer and then I'm going to build schools and hospitals and dig wells and feed and clothe people and adopt a bunch of kids and establish free health care for everyone and free education and.....(Wouldn't it be great if rebirth could work like that?)
    edited January 2007
    I'd just like to thank Federica for sowing the Chas 'n' Dave seed in my head. I can tell you when the chorus of 'Snooker Loopy' plays in your head for the 13th time in the day, right thought and right speech go right out the window! :banghead:
    edited January 2007
    Aw,bless! Glad to have been of help!:poke: :crazy:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I have another one....

has anyone heard "the logical song"? Drives me nuts. But I just can't get it out of my head!-the singer has a "fingernails down blackboard" falsetto that makes my eyeballs bleed and eardrums split. AHHHH. :zombie:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    I once knew this girl that had this mole on her face and when she scratched it, these mindworms came out! No it is true...Honestly.....

okay stupid joke, I'm sorry :nonono:

But it was better than anything BF has come out with..:rolleyesc
    edited January 2007
    Xrayman wrote:
    I have another one....

has anyone heard "the logical song"? Drives me nuts. But I just can't get it out of my head!-the singer has a "fingernails down blackboard" falsetto that makes my eyeballs bleed and eardrums split. AHHHH. :zombie:

You know what does it for me.....?
    Two songs:

'Hotel California', Eagles and

'The power of Love' Jennifer Rush.

AAAAAARRRGH!!
    :eek2:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Xrayman wrote:
    I have another one....

I LOVE Supertramp! I don't mind having their songs in my head at all.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited January 2007
    ST, thats right! well done Brigid!
    edited January 2007
    Mine are:

You Make Me Feel Like Dancin' - Leo Sayer and
    Seasons In The Sun - Terry Jack

NOT.

God, what horrible songs!

If they ever do get stuck in my head - all of you have my permission to use a baseball bat on my head to get them out. No foul. I promise.

-bf
  • edited January 2007
    Macho Macho Man........ I want to be a Macho Man lolololololololololol
    edited January 2007
    BF...You're a sad, sad person....

Inthe Dharma - so are you. :grin:

Unfortunately, I completely understand where you are both coming from - !! :tongue2:
  • edited January 2007
    To be honest..........I wish I had never typed that last post.........That song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day........... That's what I get for making fun..........lol