Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comments

• Wow, he's organized a sort of airlift to bring 10,000 refugees to Canada! And yes, he's a cutie ;)
    Hard to not have a crush.

In other news, Angela Merkel won Time's "Man Of The Year" prize. Humanity is progressing.

Nirvanalobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

In other news, Angela Merkel won Time's "Man Of The Year" prize. Humanity is progressing.

Yeah, Angela Merkel is pretty awesome, too. What a brave lady, putting lofty humanitarian ideals before her own political expediency!

You might be shocked to see some of the people on the list, though (due to their Impact on their times): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

• @Nirvana said:
    Can you blame me?

No.

Are we allowed to worship him? :3 (maybe as a Christmas treat?) o:)

With politicians of that calibre we can change the world. Inspiring. Thanks for sharing. <3

Canada is truly a Beacon for the world. See:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/12/opinion/canadas-warm-embrace-of-refugees.html?ribbon-ad-idx=3&rref=opinion&module=Ribbon&version=context&region=Header&action=click&contentCollection=Opinion&pgtype=article

@how, forgive me, but I was unaware that he was Pierre Trudeau's son. His father was a remarkable man and well respected in this country. It seemed to me that he was PM forever. His bio on Wikipedia is very interesting:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Trudeau

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

First time feeling that accepting migrants is like a celebrating a real Christmas to help people and to feel joy of helping people. The another picture in that link is so touching.

robot
  • @Nirvana said:

Yeah, Angela Merkel is pretty awesome, too. What a brave lady, putting lofty humanitarian ideals before her own political expediency!

You might be shocked to see some of the people on the list, though (due to their Impact on their times): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

I wonder what their criteria are.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Their criteria are basically someone who has had a huge impact on the world, for good or for bad. I believe Bernie Sanders won the people's online vote.

• Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Funny how before the election, naysayers were all "He's just a pretty boy!" and supporters were trying to deflect the conversation away from his relative youth and appearance. Now that he's won the PMship, it's all "Yeaaaaahhhh ;) "

• @karasti said:
    Their criteria are basically someone who has had a huge impact on the world, for good or for bad. I believe Bernie Sanders won the people's online vote.

Well, that would explain Hitler, Stalin, and I think Henry Kissinger got it, too.

• DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited December 2015

@Invincible_summer said:
    Funny how before the election, naysayers were all "He's just a pretty boy!" and supporters were trying to deflect the conversation away from his relative youth and appearance. Now that he's won the PMship, it's all "Yeaaaaahhhh ;) "

Most of us saw his potential straight away. Taxing the rich, legalizing weed, pulling the bombers out of Syria and training their ground forces instead, accepting refugees, repairing damaged relations with our aboriginal population, restoring protection to parks the last moron took away and laughing at the teasing meant to daunt him.

Now that he's in, many nay-sayers are happily shocked to see how fast he's moving to implement his promises.

Plus his wife is just as hot and it seems promising that she will get more involved than most past wives of the PM.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited December 2015

Hey, peeps, there was a great article on the Canuck Prime Minister in Sunday's New York Times Magazine. Cool guy. Very timely article. Nice photo for anyone who wants a pin-up of the Prime Cutie, too. ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/magazine/trudeaus-canada-again.html

mmo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Ahhhh. The honeymoon period.

Give it a couple of years.........

Walker
  • The interesting thing about the Prime Minister-ship and how Canada works is that he apparently can rule by fiat in certain matters. He doesn't have to get his initiatives approved by Parliament, according to the article. He's already introduced some interesting measures.

Yes, Bunks: we'll see what happens after the honeymoon period wears off.

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Well, we've already learned that our budget deficits for the next few years are going to be larger than what was promised in the Liberal election platform. No surprise, really.

I'm not ecstatic about a Liberal majority, I would much rather have seen a minority or coalition with the NDP holding the Liberals to account. I am happy that Harper and the Conservatives have been turfed. They have swung far too much to the right, and are not the same party that they once were.

We'll see if Trudeau lives up to his promises. So many times we've been let down by what we thought would be a breath of fresh air in Ottawa. My real wish is that the Liberals can avoid big scandals, otherwise we will just see a switch back to the Conservatives next go around.

DakiniInvincible_summer
  • ZenshinZenshin Veteran East Midlands UK Veteran

I remember being over the moon when Tony Blair got elected in the UK and look where that got us.

Bunks
  • I remember canvassing for Justin Trudeau's father (!!), during his first election campaign, in Vancouver!

Invincible_summer
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

I supported the NDP until Mulcair took over. He turned out to be too fragile and started lying about the other parties almost as bad as Harper.

Trudeau was the only one with any integrity aside from May. A coalition with the Greens would do better than one with the "new" NDP.

Besides, it's about time we got some young blood in there.

He can't do any worse than the cons.

robot
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Unfortunately, we won't see the Greens able to hold any balance of power unless proportional representation is adopted. I'm not sure the Liberals have the guts to do that. If there is any electoral reform, I'm afraid that they'll put the alternate vote in place, which is not a form of PR.

I remember being over the moon when Tony Blair got elected in the UK and look where that got us.

I'm not over the moon about anybody, just rather in the deep, deep, deep dumps about the anti-Muslim climate in the political gases of the US of A. I used to admire the French, even letting myself overlook their terrible treatment of the Algerians (in the spirit of letting bygones be bygones). I took real exception, though, to their belligerent callousness in the support they showed Charlie Hebdo, who was no innocent. Freedom of expression for its own sake be damned! Liberty, equality, and the brotherhood and sisterhood of humankind are French ideals. Ridicule of the Ideals of ethnic segments of a population ought not to be protected by law.

The way to pursue peace is not through throwing projectiles, but by building understanding. We have a gigantic misunderstanding going on here and standing by troublemakers such as Charlie Hebdo is elevating silly pride over open and contrite hearts.

It does rather seem to me that Justin Trudeau takes the saner view.