Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Should we be after puṇya?

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited February 2016 in Buddhism Basics

Do you cultivate merit like a dutiful stone polisher?
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merit_(Buddhism)

... or have you been bewitched by the void?

Emperor Wu: "I have built many temples, copied innumerable Sutras and ordained many monks since becoming Emperor. Therefore, I ask you, what is my merit?"
Bodhidharma: "None whatsoever!"
Emperor Wu: "Why no merit?"
Bodhidharma: "Doing things for merit has an impure motive and will only bare the puny fruit of rebirth."
Emperor Wu (a little put out): "What then is the most important principle of Buddhism?"
Bodhidharma: "Vast emptiness. Nothing sacred."
Emperor Wu, by now bewildered, and not a little indignant: "Who is this that stands before me?"
Bodhidharma: "I do not know."

http://poetrychina.net/Story_of_Zen/zenstory3a.htm

Wu Hoo! Personally I feel spit and polish is a good way to keep the dharma emperor happy and legendary queen bodhi-dharma on her way to the void ... B)

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2016

No, we should not. The only reason to do a good deed is that it is a good and right thing to do in the first place. To think otherwise is to be greedy for things that cannot either be known or be held on to.

Life should not be so hard.

Just: "Do Good. Be Good."

lobsterWalkerShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

It might be better to practice instead of continually constructing straw men.

• Well said @Nirvana

I feel expression is a natural unfoldment of our being.
    In other words merit is not some ultra enlightened achievement but simply being a decent human being.
    Just as Bodhidharma was a natural expression of emptiness.

All too often many of us strive to be 'enlightened' when being human is the goal ...

• what is punya lobster in your view?

• ^^^ Taking these initial three:

• giving (dānamayaṃ puññakiriyavatthu) - I would class this as the practice of increasing generosity
    • virtue (sīlamayaṃ puññakiriyavatthu) - the practice of a higher standard of ethical behavour
    • mental development (bhāvanāmayaṃ puññakiriyavatthu) - focus on mindfulness, meditation and lessening the mind chatter ...

Extended further from the first link I gave:
    In giving up the taking of life, I would classify as enhancing the life choices that people make
    In giving up stealing, stop wasting time, others effort or removing ideals without replacing
    In giving up wrongful (including sexual) conduct, stop exploitative indulgence
    In giving up lying, provide and generate insight rather than opinions
    In giving up slandering, tell the truth about misconduct and avoid unsubstantiated gossip
    In giving up harsh language, practice genuine truth where possible according to temperament
    In giving up frivolous speech, speech without purpose/higher component/meaning is wasteful
    In giving up lust, craving knowledge, people, indulgence is all lustful
    In giving up hatred, increasing care, metta, attention to others needs
    In giving up wrong views, in short taking up the Middle Way

I feel @Jeffrey already knew all that but thanks for asking :)

Dhammika
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

Well, the emperor's name isn't Wu by coincidence :-)