Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Milarepa's wisdom

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran
edited June 2016 in General Banter

I had a moment when I was coming up from sleep, when something in a dream compared me to Milarepa. Well flattery in dreams gets you anywhere, but I realised on waking fully that I didn't know very much about this Buddhist teacher, so I started out by reading some quotes by him on the Internet. And I was inspired to share them, so maybe we can have some fun discussing Milarepa's wisdom.

"To maintain pure discipline, one should do away with pretense and concealment"

I thought this was nice, generally when trying to maintain meditation, pretence and self deception tend to become distractions, your mind leading you on a wild goose chase. Honesty and facing the truth makes it easier to stay disciplined.

"All the wealth you’ve acquired from beginningless time until now has failed to fulfill all your desires. Cultivate therefore this wish-granting gem of moderation, O fortunate ones."

This is a good Buddhist pointer to the way craving and desire lead to groundless chasing after unfulfilling goals. It is interesting that he advocates moderation rather than asceticism, which can take many forms and can also lead one to better know ones desires. A method for achieving the goal of letting the craving drop away is not given, although a good life is maybe easier to lead in moderation.

"For generosity, nothing to do, Other than stop fixating on self. For morality, nothing to do, Other than stop being dishonest. For patience, nothing to do, Other than not fear what is ultimately true. For effort, nothing to do, Other than practice continuously. For meditative stability, nothing to do, Other than rest in presence"

This is from a song on the Six Perfections. Perhaps they are closer than we think, if it can be boiled down to letting go of some old habits. I think the trick is more to keep bearing these in mind during more difficult moments. When sitting and reading, we are not being tested, and often it is possible to master a behaviour within a range of states but when you are stressed it slips away.

"To attain buddhahood we must scatter this life’s aims and objects to the wind."

Another interesting statement... Considering that he spent so long in his cave, it makes sense for him. I think it is hard to digest the dharma while living an ordinary life, perhaps a measured period of contemplation away from the concerns of family, career, and community is an essential.

Funny that I have a flat rather than a cave - perhaps it is the modern equivalent. I've certainly spent quite a bit of time over the last few years in contemplation of the dharma. But it is a long haul, I probably have lots more sitting still to do. Thank you, Milarepa.

BunkslobsterShoshinRuddyDuck9

Comments

• gracklegrackle Veteran

@Kerome. Nothing came easily to Milarepa. From his intention to use sorcery against a relative who tried to make him a pauper. To his searching out instruction under the Marpa the translator. Where he was severely tested. He became a true spiritual hero. So much so that we can today rest our weary pilgrims bones in his shadow. I am very happy that the "cotton clad one" inspires you.