Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kung fu panda 3

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I was just watching this... I was surprised at how much Buddhism and enlightenment they snuck in... And how much they got wrong

There was quite a lot of talk of Chi, and stealing it, and things turning into jade, which didn't make a lot of sense. And a very creditable visualisation of a spirit realm. But quite a lot of fighting as you would expect. And right at the end, enlightenment supposedly being earned through a rather schmaltzy group channelling effort, rather than actual insight. That made no sense at all.

But it's a Hollywood film, so I suppose we can't expect too much actual spiritual accuracy from it. I'm actually happy the young are getting a few positive messages about learning and discipline and cooperation from something like this, it's better than what a lot of them will get from slightly more mature films like The Hunger Games.

So overall not a total loss.

Bunks

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

"Never let the Truth get in the way of a Good Story".

Mark Twain

RuddyDuck9
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

Animated films will be the ancient mythology of the distant future.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Could be... They have certainly replaced fairy tales for a lot of people. And as an adult who loves films that are mostly non-violent, beautiful and full of heart, you can do much worse than Pixar, Dreamworks, Studio Ghibli and so on...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Apparently, when Kung Fu Panda first came out, there was a debate in the Chinese Parliament on how could it be that Westerners could make a better film about Chinese culture than the Chinese could.

• They forgot that we have had Chinese culture in our midst for a century and a half, more or less. We are Chinese, English, Nigerian, Dalmatian, Inuit, and a whole bunch more.

(Though it is true a faction is attempting to deny the existence of all but a a cult of followers of an orange skinned one subject to temper tantrums and arguing with anybody who disagrees with him.)

Long live the Panda!

Peace to all