Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Quizzes

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited January 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Do you guys remember when we used to have those quizzes on things like the Three Seals and so on? I think BF used to do them. Is anyone interested in starting them up again? I could run them, if people want. What do you all think?

Comments

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2008
    My answer to this first Quiz is an Absolute YES. (BTW, is that the right answer?)
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    LOL!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2008
    I'll play....!!
  • edited February 2008
    Yes please. Love quizzes

I love it when my Old Feller asks me something I don't understand and I go "Is it a Quiz? Can I play?"
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited February 2008
    I'd love to give it a shot. Bring it on!
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Who said, "Bring it on" ?

A. Arnold Schwarzenegger

B. George W. Bush

C. Both of the Above

D. All of the Above

E. Both A. and B.

(Just try to get the ONE RIGHT ANSWER HERE!)
  • edited February 2008
    Ummmmmm - was it Shakespeare?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2008
    Okay! I'll post the first quiz tonight or tomorrow. And I'll give smilies as prizes. :D
  • edited February 2008
    Wait, no one said there would be a test.

Quiz? Why not?
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    Okay! I'll post the first quiz tonight or tomorrow. And I'll give smilies as prizes. :D

A smile from one as beautiful as you would surpass any gift imaginable.
  • edited January 2009
    I think it would be a great idea.. I'd like to play too!
  • edited January 2009
    Yeeeeeeeeeeey finally - something I can do!
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Oooops! I dropped the ball on this one.

Okay, everybody ready? I'm going to use the Access to Insight website exclusively for all quizzes because it can be counted on. Here's today's quiz:

Please give the definitions to the following Pali terms:

ariya-sacca

bhavana

citta

kayagata-sati

kusala

and finally...

pañña

Please use your own words.

:)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited January 2009
    Brigid,
    Brigid wrote: »
    Please give the definitions to the following Pali terms:

ariya-sacca

"noble truth"

A truth that pertains to the understanding of dukkha (that which is hard to bear), its cause, its cessation and the path leading to its cessation. Most understand these to be objective truths, but I think that it is unnecessary to give these ideals an unnatural, absolutist objectivity, i.e., "Where can a philosopher go to determine the nature of the object while avoiding the consciousness of the object" (Kaluaphana, A History of Buddhist Philosophy).

bhavana

"mental cultivation"

The act of intentional mental development utilizing a variety of methods and objects. The most well-known example is mindfulness of breathing, which utilizes the breath as its object.

citta

"mind, intellect"

In the classical understanding of this term, citta is said to be synonymous with "mano" (mind) and "vinnana" (consciousness). The way I understand citta, it is similar to what we label "heart," i.e., it is the aspect of mind that is tied up with intention.

kayagata-sati

"mindfulness of/in the body"

Being aware of the body in and of itself; taking the body or any of its parts as they are internally experienced as the object of mindfulness (e.g., the breath, feelings of pleasure, pain or neither pleasure nor pain, etc. as per MN 119).

kusala

"skillful"

In the context of actions (kamma), skillful basically means that which is not "conducive to harm and pain" but "benefit and pleasure" (AN 2.19). It denotes doing something well, such as in the case of playing a lute (see AN 6.55).

pañña

"wisdom"

Wisdom or direct knowledge, especially knowledge relating to dukkha, its cause, its cessation and the path leading to that cessation (see MN 43).

(Sorry, I cheated a bit. :D)

Jason
  • edited January 2009
    Yes - what he said :lol:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2009
    And who can argue with that....?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Perfect score, Jason! You're a good, good boy!!
    edited January 2009
    Just as long as he shares the tin of chocckies.....
  • edited January 2009
    If they are Good Boy Chock Drops ....... I don't want to share ... they taste vile.:lol::lol: ... I tried once when desperate!
    edited January 2009
    :D
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    If they are Good Boy Chock Drops ....... I don't want to share ... they taste vile.:lol::lol: ... I tried once when desperate!

Ah! I remember that desperation! And how revolting they taste.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I hate these Eurocentric jokes! :rant: As if we Yanks knew what Good Boy Chock Drops were! :scratch: Care for a Milk Dud? :rolleyesc

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    Oh I am sorry, that is sooooooo exclusive and irritating - I hate in-jokes.

Good Boy Chock Drops are special chocolate-flavoured treats (not real chocolate as you shouldn't give dogs chocolate, it is bad for them) and you are supposed to use them in training your dog.

Unfortunately they look exactly like kids' sweeties called Cadbury's Chocolate Buttons (does what it says on the packet - looks like a button but made of chocolate).

Lost count of the number of friends' offspring who have gorged themselves on the dog treats as you get more in a packet than the Buttons. And I got tempted when I was out of chocolate myself but had large stores of the dogs' supplies in the cupboard ......... don't bother, just don't bother!
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    I hate these Eurocentric jokes! :rant: As if we Yanks knew what Good Boy Chock Drops were! :scratch: Care for a Milk Dud? :rolleyesc

Palzang

Now THAT I understand!!!
    How about a Goober's?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Yeah, Goober's! A good ol' American treat if there ever was one. "Eatin' goober peas..." (peanuts for you guys across the pond, but Goober's is a candy version)

Palzang
    edited January 2009
    Palzang wrote: »

Palzang

Hell no! Last time I ate a Milk Dud, it tore out a filling.
  • edited January 2009
    OK my turn to be trans-Atlantically challenged - what is a Milk Dud?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    HA HA HA, gotcha! A milk dud is a little chocolate covered caramel. You mostly see them for sale at the movies. Very delicious.

Palzang
  • edited January 2009
    OK thanks for that.

I know a lot of people who have lost a tooth on that kind of sweetie - the ones I miss most are Scottish Tablet which is practically pure sugar but completely addictive and I can only get when I go for a visit.

My mother used to make it, I have tried making it but it always comes out too runny and won't set so it is one of those things I have to just enjoy when I am over there and learn to live without when I am home ... jolly good practice! :p
    edited January 2009
    Knitwitch wrote: »
    OK thanks for that.
    My mother used to make it, I have tried making it but it always comes out too runny and won't set so it is one of those things I have to just enjoy when I am over there and learn to live without when I am home ... jolly good practice! :p

May I suggest it's a lot like fudge... the hotter it is and the longer you boil it, the harder it gets. Try keeping it on a rolling boil longer.
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks Les - I'll give it another try - that's me y'see - impatience personified! (except when knitting and sewing are concerned)
    edited January 2009
    Hope that works. But remember to keep stirring, otherwise at the high heat, rolling boil, it will burn and change the taste.
  • edited January 2009
    Gotcha - thanks again - I'll let you know how it turns out - the last lot ended up as ice cream sauce ...... and come to think of it, was bloomin' gorgeous!
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited January 2009
    How about just drinking Hershey's chocolate syrup straight from the bottle if one needs a chocolate fix? I live with a severe chocoholic who mentioned this to me and I went "Well, that's interesting". But since he makes fantastic brownies, I leave his chocolate habits alone.
  • edited January 2009
    I gather that Hershey bars are very similar to Mars bars. I make an ice cream sauce with those and it is completely gorgeous.

Just cut up a bar into slices, put it in a jug with a little milk and heat it up (microwave is good) and then pour it hot over vanilla ice cream ........... aaaahhhhhhhhhh that is :cool::cool::cool:
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2009
    Jerbear wrote: »
    How about just drinking Hershey's chocolate syrup straight from the bottle if one needs a chocolate fix? I live with a severe chocoholic who mentioned this to me and I went "Well, that's interesting". But since he makes fantastic brownies, I leave his chocolate habits alone.

That's what I do Jer! My wife makes fun of me for doing that, but it is a quick fix for me! Don't even get me started on the open container of chocolate frosting in the fridge! :D
  • bushinokibushinoki Veteran
    edited January 2009
    whoa, I thought I was a chocoholic, as I can't go more than three days before I start taking Chocolate milk with every meal at the Dining Facility agian. Hershey's Syrup straight from the bottle, that is just plain bad.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited January 2009
    I think I'm more of a breakfastaholic. I love breakfasts. The thought of eating Hershey's syrup straight makes me nauseous! And melting down Mars bars to pour over ice cream, ditto! I think I must have been a hobbit in a past life. They eat up to three breakfasts a day!

Palzang