Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

One Continuous Mistake

edited May 2008 in Arts & Writings
Dogen was quoted by Suzuki Roshi as saying the life of a Zen master is "one continuous mistake." Gail Sher uses this saying to title her wonderfully readable book on using writing as practice. Sher is a Zen Buddhist, psychotherapist, writer, and teacher, with decades of experience.

The book describes writing as a way to practice. "Make writing your practice. If you commit to it, writing will take you as deep as Zen," Katagiri Roshi says. The book follows through with this idea, making it rich and nuanced, at once thought-provoking and pragmatic.

"Poetry is a way of celebrating the actuality of a nondual universe in all its facets," Gary Snyder is quoted as saying. And Basho the 17th century haiku master makes several appearances, considering all art and poetry offerings to the Buddha.

The book is a pleasure to read. It is also useful. And inspiring. For those of us who like to write, even if it is just posting to the internet, this is a great book to read.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2008
    'Continuous' or 'Continual'?

I think we should be told.....!:D

Actually, I can equate....
    Just as I think i might have gotten something under my belt... something comes and blindsides me, letting me know there's more shifting to be done....
    I prefer to refer to myself as "Work in Progress" though...... ;)