Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Pali pronounciation

BrigidBrigid Veteran
edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
Hi, all.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of a site that has voice recorded pronunciations of Pali words.

I really, really want to know how these words I'm reading all the time are pronounced. I'm listening to all sorts of online teachings but have only heard a few Pali words spoken in them.

If anyone can help I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!

love,
Boo

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    I'll make enquiries..... ;)

EDIT:

Have a look here!

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=950
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2009
    Fede!!! You found it!!! I've been searching for hours and hours and you found it! Thank you SO much!!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2009
    Ah! Don't!!
    I used to be conceited but now I'm absolutely perfect - !!

Glad to be of help!!
    Hugs as ever!!
  • edited June 2009
    I found Pali a real challenge.
    One of the methods I used at first was to match recordings available on the Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery websites with their chanting booklet (available there also).

In friendship,
    Anagarika Sevaka
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Hi, Anagarika Sevaka. Welcome to the site!

I have the Abhayagiri Buddhist Monastery website bookmarked and will try your method. Thanks for the great idea!
  • edited June 2009
    Boo,

Here is a nice little page with audio links to some basic words.

http://www.aimwell.org/Help/Pali/pali.html

I wish it were more extensive, but listening helps me more than phonetic spellings.
  • edited June 2009
    Would also like to share this absolutely fabulous and fascinating MP3 course on Pali taught by Bikkhu Bodhi.

http://www.bodhimonastery.net/bm/programs/pali-class-online.html

34 audio lectures in all, and a link to the written material used to follow along. Perhaps a bit overwhelming, but there is no hurry, yes? : )
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Wow! Thanks a lot, Texas! This is great!
  • edited June 2009
    hi, everyone. I really in need to know the Pali version of "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma sambuddhassa"... is there anyone who could help me? many thanks! :)

Namo Buddhaya.
  • edited June 2009
    winaldo wrote: »
    hi, everyone. I really in need to know the Pali version of "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma sambuddhassa"... is there anyone who could help me? many thanks! :)

Namo Buddhaya.

Greetings Winaldo!

This is in the Pali language already friend! In English it roughly translates into:
    "Homage to the Blessed One, the Worthy One, the Rightly Self-awakened One."

In the Pali Canon, it is found in the Majjima Nikaya, specifically in MN 27: "Cula-hatthipadopama Sutta" (The Shorter Elephant Footprint Simile). There is an interesting story here! Most translations contain the section which goes as follows:

Janussonin*** the brahman got down from his totally white roofed-chariot and — arranging his upper robe over one shoulder and extending his hands in reverent salutation in the direction of the Blessed One — exclaimed this exclamation three times: "Homage to the Blessed One, worthy & rightly self-awakened!"
    "Homage to the Blessed One, worthy & rightly self-awakened!"
    "Homage to the Blessed One, worthy & rightly self-awakened!"

The version above is Thanissaro Bhikkhu's version, and the mantra is translated into English. Also, Bhikkhu Bodhi's translation is in English too! In fact, you cannot find "Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Samma sambuddhassa" left in the original Pali unless you go back to Horner's translation of the Majjima in 1967!!

Bodhi's translation is:
    "Honor to the Blessed one, accomplished and fully enlightened"

The exact meaning is not completely rendered by these English translations, but that is the general gist, thus while reading it in English for study is probably best, for the purposes of recitation and contemplative practice, it is best to keep with the tradition of saying the mantra in Pali. :smilec:

***(sometimes spelled Janussoni)
  • edited June 2009
    Greetings, Texashermit...

thanks for a very useful information on the sutta. I already have Majjhima Nikaya, though I haven't read it yet. I know that it's already a Pali language. what I meant is I'm trying to find it in Pali scripture, not the romanization of the Pali pronunciation. do you have the text, Texas? :)

thanks for sharing, My Friend.

Namaste,

Winaldo
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2009
    Winaldo,

Pali itself does not have its own script as it was originally a spoken language. The teachings themselves were passed down orally for hundreds of years before they were written down phonetically in various Indian scripts such as Brahmi, Devanagari, etc. Today, the Pali texts have been transliterated in many different languages, including English.

Jason
  • edited June 2009
    Jason,

Oh, I see. I thought that Pali has a kind of art such as a caligraphy as well. well, thanks for the really useful info, though. :)

Regards,

Winaldo