Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Holidays?

edited June 2009 in Buddhism Basics
:om: Namaste
do Buddhists celebrate any of the traditional Christian holidays? What if any holidays ARE celebrated and HOW are they celebrated? Thankyou!

Comments

• PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited June 2009
    I dunno, do Christians celebrate any traditional Buddhist holidays? :)

I know that Christmas, at least here in the US, is almost universally celebrated (except maybe by Jehovah's Witnesses, who don't celebrate anything). In the Shambhala community they call it Children's Day, which somehow seems more appropriate.

Palzang
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2009
    I would say most Western Buddhists have at one point of their life, not been Buddhists, and have therefore celebrated traditional Christian festivals many times before becoming Buddhist.
    Living in the West, it's difficult - not to say impossible - to distance one's self from the occasions. The essence yes, the event - no.
    So for my part, I 'celebrate' Christmas by putting up the tree, pretty lights and enjoying the atmosphere. I give people gifts, because to be honest? it would be churlish not to. And I accept gifts from others, too... so not giving would be a double-unskilful-whammy....! :D
    But I don't attend church, I don't ascribe to the religious message, and I don't gorge myself stupid on food for 3 days and regret it for the whole following month.....:p
  • LesCLesC Bermuda Veteran
    edited June 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    I dunno, do Christians celebrate any traditional Buddhist holidays? :)

Palzang

Generally speaking Christians have a tendency NOT to recognize the holidays of other faiths. It's like if I recognize this it somehow weakens and discounts my belief. I have very dear Jewish friends, and have regularly participated in their Passover celebrations, and enjoyed it very much.

I celebrate Christmas, and all that goes with it, tree, gifts, turkey etc., both as a recognition of the birth of an enlightened individual as well as a long standing tradition within my family and community. I have no conflict with this. I choose not to be drawn on theological discussions over whether Jesus was divine, the only son of God, etc., etc. at this time of year.

As skillfully as possible I tread the minefield over the holidays, and enjoy the peace and compassion and good will that pervades the season... and wish everyone were more like that the rest of the year.