Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Retreat.

chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
edited December 2009 in Meditation
Having had some deep insights in my meditation sessions at home, I usually try to do an hour a day. Well now I think it's time to take it to the next level. I have decided in the new year, work permitting, I'm going to go on a weekend retreat then a weeks one.

http://www.throssel.org.uk/retreat-information

http://www.forestsangha.org/index.ph...eries&Itemid=9

I feel I'm ready for this now. I remember a time when I had trouble sitting for half an hour, now I'm doing an hour easy, I could probably do more. What's changed? I think to myself, well since moving to Yorkshire I don't have so much internet time so there's not much else to do. I'm not into TV, only program I did watch was Merlin and that's finished now. So I use the time meditating, I can slowly start to feel the benefit. Only the other day I was meditating and I got to a state of mind where I observed the silence between my thoughts, it was incredibly blissfull. Of course as soon as the I in me noticed this I got excited and lost the state. Such as meditation is, observe all without judgement both good and bad states of mind. It's all in constant flux and one moment changes from the next.

Comments

• fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Good for you. Let us know how the retreats go. They sound like a great idea.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited December 2009
    mabye let me in on your secret to progress!
  • edited December 2009

An excellent decision to make, Chrispche !

Lots of good wishes for the retreats - and looking forward to hearing how you got on with them.

Kind wishes,

Dazzle
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2009
    (Isn't it curious.... we go to these things to help us along the Path and enable us to move forward.
    Yet, it's a 'retreat'..... :rolleyes: :p )

Yes, it's ok.... I know......
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Superb idea and your progress is really inspiring. Keep at it. All the best!
    Now it's time to tell us your secret portion that you take just before the meditation ;)
  • edited December 2009
    Best wishes. .. and keep us posted.

With kind regards.
  • chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer
    edited December 2009
    shanyin wrote: »
    mabye let me in on your secret to progress!

Well it's regular meditation, rather than the amount of time spent in meditation. An hour is not to bad, but 20 even 10 minutes is better than regularly than, doing say 2 hours at once, once a week.
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited December 2009
    10 day retreat is good friend. Please pursue it & advise us of your experience (if you feel that is appropriate).

Best wishes

:)