Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

General question about samadh

edited February 2010 in Meditation
Hi everyone

I would like to hear the advice and comments of Buddhists on a meditation practice. This is a rather esoteric enquiry so perhaps Tantrik Buddhists might like to contribute their thoughts.

I have given some thought to the moment of death. I am in my 30s and in good health, so I may (if lucky) have enough time to prepare for this. Basically, I would like to establish, by way of one-pointed meditation, a harmonic resonance within a mandala that would enable me to find a point of reference in either the disembodied state or in my next reincarnation. Obviously, I would like to do this without harming my ability to meditate or creating an attachment that would lead to suffering.

Is this type of objective familiar to any of the existing Buddhist schools, and if so how is it best achieved within those schools?

Thanks

Comments

• edited February 2010
    Hi Ncrypto,

If meditation training is to accomplish some transformation in one's state of being through habituation/association. Then coming to embody, what I call very stable 'tranquil sensitivity' is a beneficial focus.

Tranquil - a: free from agitation of mind or spirit b: free from disturbance or turmoil.

Sensitivity - : the quality or state of being sensitive.

Or

The quality or state of being sensitive free from agitation of mind or spirit.

Further, if birth, aging, and death actually occur moment to moment - i.e. hundreds or thousands of times in the snap of a finger - habituation to a very stable tranquil sensitive way of being may only create the causes for the arising of a similar kind of character in the becoming, birth, aging, and death of a similar state of being in future moments.

Will you please consider creating your mandala similar to this?

:):):)
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for your response and analysis. I shall consider it carefully and weigh up the consequences first.
  • jinzangjinzang Veteran
    edited February 2010
    Tibetan Buddhism is structured to do this sort of thing. By doing creation and completion meditation on a yidam deity, you make a connection that allows you to see that deity at the point of death or during the bardo. This is all theory to me -- I mean I can't remember the bardo -- but it's explained this way in Tibetan Buddhism.
  • edited February 2010
    Thanks for the reminder! It's been ages since I've read the Bardo Thodol. Time for me to get another copy :)