Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Music

edited March 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I have noticed some people mentioning music as an attachment to be abandoned in the pursuit of enlightenment. In my experience, music can provide both inspiration to seek enlightenment and is a source of joy when the mind is clear. I also find that when I am in a mental/spiritual slump, music becomes less enjoyable.

Of course, I don't mean all music. Most popular music I think is total crap. The good music I am referring to has a certain authenticity about it. There is sincerity in both the words (if there are any) and the performance of the music. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I believe some music is compatible with (my limited knowledge of) Buddhist teachings and practices. There is very much an element of living-in-the-moment when it comes to music. There is a connection between performers and listeners that can facilitate a loving kindness between all involved.

I have dabbled in meditation a few times, but never kept up the practice for more than a few weeks (I know that I need to start meditating again and stay with it). On a few occasions, my meditation coincided with traveling around solo and attending concerts, meeting people, reading (especially Jack Kerouac), and these are some of the most memorable happy experiences of my life. I felt that I was making progress towards enlightenment, only to fall back on old bad habits (drinking, not meditating, desiring things/sex/money, etc.) once my traveling ceased.

I would be interested to hear what people have to say about the relationship between Buddhism and music. Is it possible that a musical life is compatible with a search for enlightenment?

Comments

• edited March 2010
    Absolutely. Enlightenment is not sitting in a dark, silent box all day. And, even if it was, I would prefer to not be enlightened!

One can absolutely get attached to music, and it can cause suffering, but it is like any of life's other pleasures: Enjoy them, and explore them if they're your passion, but do not let them cause you unhappiness.
  • edited March 2010
    ^Agreed.

As something that's slightly abstract (music is rarely considered on the basis of being a physical object, as was the case not too long ago), it's hard to imagine being physically attached to it. It basically comes down to, methinks:

If you begin to suffer because you don't have access to your music, there is likely an issue.

If you use music for enjoyment but could handle to let go of it should need arise, there's probably not an issue.

I've even read about Buddhist monasteries performing musically, so at least among some groups it's obviously cherished.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm listening to music right now. Probably because I'm not enlightened, and I'm addicted to the pleasure I get from listening to music. If I were enlightened I would not listen to music nearly as much as I do.

But music is useful for things other than indulgence. It can help one learn about communication, the mind, emotions. Playing music causes others pleasure, which is good though I don't completely understand why. I mean, giving others crack would also cause them pleasure, but that would be bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzv0enzJBow
  • edited March 2010
    Not for me. The only music I listen to is monophonic chanting, where the consistency of tone is not even for the sake of itself, but merely to make memorization easier. Music strives to inspire emotion and passion in the listener, and, as my brain is more sensitive than average to the nuances of music, that gets me emotional and passionate. The Dhamma, however, is the path which leads to dispassion. The fourth of the ten fetters is "sensual desire," and this doesn't refer solely to sexual lust: this refers to craving of the mind for things pleasant and interesting to the sixth senses (counting the intellect as a sixth sense). I am not here to seek pleasure. Peace and pleasure are not the same.
  • edited March 2010
    Is it not the goal to observe and understand the pleasure and reaction that goes with listening to a great Mozart Concerto..as long as you do not become attached to it?

I've never interpreted Buddhism as meaning "the cessation of all things pleasurable". Honestly, I have little interest in that. At least as I am right now.
  • edited March 2010
    The Middle Way is not the denial of pleasure, nor the advocacy of pleasure.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm new to Buddism and I listen to mostly fast and agrressive hardcore punk. This style of music is sort of an enlightenment to me in ways. A lot of the bands I listen to are political and speak out against hatred, discrimination, sexism, etc...It's really opened my eyes and has given me a different outlook on thing in life. Some of bands I like are really sarcastic and sing about goofy off the wall stuff but I still enjoy that kind of stuff too. I'm currently learning to play guitar which I'm kind of struggling with and is testing my patience. I also have an appreciation for clssical music with is kind of weird sice punk and classical are two different extremes.
  • edited March 2010
    Hi everyone. I'm new here.

I have noticed some people mentioning music as an attachment to be abandoned in the pursuit of enlightenment. In my experience, music can provide both inspiration to seek enlightenment and is a source of joy when the mind is clear. I also find that when I am in a mental/spiritual slump, music becomes less enjoyable.

Of course, I don't mean all music. Most popular music I think is total crap. The good music I am referring to has a certain authenticity about it. There is sincerity in both the words (if there are any) and the performance of the music. I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I believe some music is compatible with (my limited knowledge of) Buddhist teachings and practices. There is very much an element of living-in-the-moment when it comes to music. There is a connection between performers and listeners that can facilitate a loving kindness between all involved.

I have dabbled in meditation a few times, but never kept up the practice for more than a few weeks (I know that I need to start meditating again and stay with it). On a few occasions, my meditation coincided with traveling around solo and attending concerts, meeting people, reading (especially Jack Kerouac), and these are some of the most memorable happy experiences of my life. I felt that I was making progress towards enlightenment, only to fall back on old bad habits (drinking, not meditating, desiring things/sex/money, etc.) once my traveling ceased.

I would be interested to hear what people have to say about the relationship between Buddhism and music. Is it possible that a musical life is compatible with a search for enlightenment?

Welcome to the forum, by the way! We can be new together!
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited March 2010
    I'm new to Buddism and I listen to mostly fast and agrressive hardcore punk. This style of music is sort of an enlightenment to me in ways. A lot of the bands I listen to are political and speak out against hatred, discrimination, sexism, etc...It's really opened my eyes and has given me a different outlook on thing in life.

I applaud you for being able to discern anything in that kind of music! Honestly, to my ear it sounds like noise. But if it touches you in that way, more power to you! Mozart or Schubert are more my style :)

Mtns
  • edited March 2010
    Anupassī wrote: »
    The Middle Way is not the denial of pleasure, nor the advocacy of pleasure.

This was my point.
    Apologies, I must have missed something. I inferred from your previous post that you intentionally avoid listening to music that could be enjoyable.

I was raised in the household of a professional musician, and played violin and trumpet in my youth and young adulthood. I'm a long way from giving up my Gabrieli, Mozart, Wagner, Copland, Stan Kenton, Wynton Marsalis, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Iron Maiden. :p
  • edited March 2010
    I'm new to Buddism and I listen to mostly fast and agrressive hardcore punk. This style of music is sort of an enlightenment to me in ways. A lot of the bands I listen to are political and speak out against hatred, discrimination, sexism, etc...It's really opened my eyes and has given me a different outlook on thing in life. Some of bands I like are really sarcastic and sing about goofy off the wall stuff but I still enjoy that kind of stuff too. I'm currently learning to play guitar which I'm kind of struggling with and is testing my patience. I also have an appreciation for clssical music with is kind of weird sice punk and classical are two different extremes.

If it weren't for punk music, I don't know if I would have ever learned to think for myself!
  • edited March 2010
    This was my point.
    Apologies, I must have missed something. I inferred from your previous post that you intentionally avoid listening to music that could be enjoyable.

I was raised in the household of a professional musician, and played violin and trumpet in my youth and young adulthood. I'm a long way from giving up my Gabrieli, Mozart, Wagner, Copland, Stan Kenton, Wynton Marsalis, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Rush, and Iron Maiden. :p

buddha_hat-cat.jpg
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    If music is something that is important to you in a healthy way then I think listening to it is perfectly fine.

Music used to be very important to me; listening to it and writing and playing it myself. But for the last 5 years or so I haven't been listening to music much at all. I've listened to some classical and opera but other than that it's just something I'm not attracted to anymore. For me it's exactly the way Anupassi described it:
    Music strives to inspire emotion and passion in the listener, and, as my brain is more sensitive than average to the nuances of music, that gets me emotional and passionate.
    I'm just not interested in things that ignite strong emotion or passion in me anymore. I've lost the taste for it.
  • edited March 2010
    BlackFlag wrote: »
    If it weren't for punk music, I don't know if I would have ever learned to think for myself!

I'm feel the same way.
  • edited March 2010
    LOL, can someone explain to this slow, new guy the significance of a Buddha statue with a cat on its head?
  • edited March 2010
    It's all rather simple.

2007-04-06.gif
  • edited March 2010
    I'm more of a "straight answer" kinda guy when I'm talking to another average Joe on the Internet, but thanks!
  • edited March 2010
    Everyone has their best approach! (:
  • edited March 2010
    (2) The censorship over the desires arising from the use of the ears, among which we mention, musical sounds from harp, twelve-stringed lute, and instruments using silk, bamboo, metal, stone, etc. and from the voices of dancing and singing girls, reciting, praising, etc. No sooner do we disciples of Buddha, hear these sweet sounds than our hearts are stained and our minds entangled and we are led into evil acts. Such was the fact in the case of the five hundred disciples who lived in a monastery in the Himalayas when they heard the songs sung by a girl named Chindra. They lost their devotion to the practice of Dhyana and became delirious with exciting desires. By all such causes and conditions we may know that sounds are the source of wickedness and guilt.
    ha HA!!

from the chinese. buddhism is an ancient religion and culture that we should consider. modern and ancient culture are very much different and buddhism has been filled with many wise men as well as fools. even wise men that were fools, and wise men that did not have penises (women). in the case of music, media allows for the rapid transmission of music hitherto unknown. music is certainly an accessory to enlightenment, here talking about music outside of buddhist practice, for example chanting sutras, at the same time a hindrance as well. i think the music you choose and the time you choose to listen to it is subject to the tao just as anything else. one should listen to music according to the mood and weather of the heart, not the ears, because the ears are a sense gate that succumb to defilement.

and the most important role of music, i believe, is to inspire bodhicitta and love, which is a very common musical theme, and sometimes i feel if you listen closely enough, is hidden in every song. even sad songs, for example, always provide the opportunity to feel empathy and generate solidarity. music is indispensable to buddhadharma and should be practiced as meditation daily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXtzBuLhy7k
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DxTtJ0jM5s
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig0FZVnwec4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OK6t408kliQ
  • edited March 2010
    buddha said to guard the gates of the senses. listening to music is like holding open the gate of hearing.

listening to music might not have a significant negative effect in our daily lives, but if someone is seriously seeking enlightenment, the pleasure of music must be given up.
  • edited March 2010
    and the most important role of music, i believe, is to inspire bodhicitta and love, which is a very common musical theme, and sometimes i feel if you listen closely enough, is hidden in every song. even sad songs, for example, always provide the opportunity to feel empathy and generate solidarity. music is indispensable to buddhadharma and should be practiced as meditation daily.

I like this. I have always felt a connection to sad songs. There is a co-misery in a sad song that elicits a feeling of empathy and compassion towards others, both near and far. Feelings of empathy and compassion are "emotional and passionate," should they therefore be avoided? My instinct says no.

Also, thanks for the welcome. I look forward to using this forum and its contributors as a daily dose of wisdom. Maybe I can share some as well. Here's hoping. :^)
  • edited March 2010
    buddha said to guard the gates of the senses. listening to music is like holding open the gate of hearing.

listening to music might not have a significant negative effect in our daily lives, but if someone is seriously seeking enlightenment, the pleasure of music must be given up.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef5U5xQPEyY&feature=related
    given up do you mean or not given in to? is tathagata in this song or is tathagata not?
  • edited March 2010
    Pietro Pumokin!

I really liked the music. Especially The Nurses and Bowerbirds. Hadn't heard of either of them before. My kind of music.

Do you know Apollo Sunshine? Check this out if you're keen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYygytO4TU
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Brigid wrote: »

Music used to be very important to me; listening to it and writing and playing it myself. But for the last 5 years or so I haven't been listening to music much at all.

Hey, Brigid. Yes, I can relate to this also. For a long time, music was my passion and my creative outlet. At one time I thought that it would be my life's direction. I used to listen, play, and create too. For me, Dharma is my passion now. Not to say I don't (or wouldn't) enjoy all the music I used to, but things have changed, and sort of like you said, the passion for it may only result in sidetracking me from my true goals and ambitions.

On a side note, I find that sometimes if one is really into a song or certain music, it can get stuck in the head, and become a bit of a hindrance to concentration.

So now mantras are the "songs" that I don't mind getting stuck in my head. :grin:
  • edited March 2010
    hmm. so are creative outlets necessarily hindrances to achieving enlightenment?

Here is a question: Is it possible for something to facilitate making steps towards achieving enlightenment even though it too must ultimately be abandoned for true enlightenment?
  • ManiMani Veteran
    edited March 2010

No, I don't think so. I think that these aspects of creativity come from our "Buddha-nature" actually. There are many achieved teachers who have very creative sides to them. For example, the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje has written some poetry, has composed some musical pieces, etc. I think that one is usually in a certain state of mind when in that creative process. Sort of like when musicians say they are "in the zone". Very aware, where things just flow in that sense.

I answered the way I did because if I continued to play music, I would probably spend most of my time doing that, and very little time studying and practicing. When thinking about when I used to do that, it didn't really bring me any closer to the aspirations and goals I now have.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Mani wrote: »
    On a side note, I find that sometimes if one is really into a song or certain music, it can get stuck in the head, and become a bit of a hindrance to concentration.

So now mantras are the "songs" that I don't mind getting stuck in my head. :grin:
    I have a real problem with songs, or bits of songs, getting stuck in my head. At first it's amusing but after 12 or 13 hours of it it's not so funny anymore. And what's weird is that the songs pop into my head spontaneously. It's not like I hear them on the radio or TV or something beforehand. They come out of nowhere. And they're usually really, really bad songs. Jingles from commercials, bits of really old songs from the turn or early part of the 20th century, really bad pop songs. To be fair I do get parts of operas stuck in my head, especially Carmen. Lol!
    Here is a question: Is it possible for something to facilitate making steps towards achieving enlightenment even though it too must ultimately be abandoned for true enlightenment?
    Absolutely. Even the Dhamma itself.
  • edited March 2010
    Pietro Pumokin!

I really liked the music. Especially The Nurses and Bowerbirds. Hadn't heard of either of them before. My kind of music.

Do you know Apollo Sunshine? Check this out if you're keen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dYygytO4TU
    no, i liked though
  • edited March 2010

I imagine that's precisely correct - use the raft and then let it go (give it up!!) YES!! :lol:
  • edited March 2010

[Beavis]Heh heh heh, heh heh heh, enlightenment sucks...heh heh heh[/Beavis]
  • edited March 2010
    I once recall seeing a monk meditating on a bench near a busy city plaza. In any moment, a proper monk must listen attentively and consciously while absorbing a deep peace within himself. He must be at one with all that is.

Now, if his mental associations and cultural conditioning do not grant him this freedom while listening to music, he is not yet free deeply within himself. In this way, the listener has mentally identified with something as being separate from himself. Yet again, this is just the ego's great delusion.

The monk should be still and at one with all that exists in the present, be it pleasure, pain, or distraction. He is simply present. He is aware and completely unattached.

Speaking of conditioning, western thought has a notoriously selfish yet emotionally rewarding way of viewing art, music, and dance. It is easy to feel compelled to lace artistic creation with our own emotion, judgment, and personal experience. Even so, this is not necessarily the artist's intentions. If so, the artist can not yet be free within himself (oh, the romantics!).

In fact, a worthy artist would want his audience to accept his art and creativity for what it is, irregardless of personal taste or opinion. This is even the case if the selfish artist is luring us for controversy or fame. The listener remains peaceful and compassionate. His deep compassion helps him go beyond his own notion of taste.

A monk's mind is not a tyrannical state filled with countless casual labels and judgments. Nor is music just another pawn of the ego.

If a monk has nurtured a sense of separateness from listening to music, it is advised to meditate while listening to music. As he listens, he repeats within himself:

"listening to music...listening to music..."

If he is led to distraction as caused by the music, he is asked to repeat:

"let the music be...let it be...let it be."

He repeats "let it be..." until he has become completely still, at one with the music, the breath, and all else that surrounds him.

headphones.gif
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Whether it's music or something else, we all have our attachments.

Enlightenment does not mean that attachments cease to exist, but rather that we change our relationship to our attachments ... let me relate a story about the Dalai Lama ...

He was taken on a tour of a Catholic monastery which made cheeses and fruitcakes for sale. They gave him a piece of cheese to sample. What he really wanted was a taste of the fruitcake. His reaction? When he told the story months later, he broke out in rolling laughter that he had wanted the fruitcake.

If HE still has his attachments (remember, he was raised as a monk since what ... age 4?), how can WE expect to not be attached? But he is a model for us on how we will someday react to our attachments and disappointments.

So listen to your music, watch your attachment to it, accept that you are attached. Realize that your relationship to your attachment is the barrier to enlightenment, and that someday it won't be the barrier. But remind yourself that there is nothing about music itself that helps your practice ... at least, no more than cheese and fruitcake!
  • edited March 2010
    to me music is more than just sound, music is in many ways an expression of the spiritual nature of humans, whereas i don't think food generally has the same relationship.... ha ha ha.... unless you're a chef or extremely overweight.... but you will see people dance to music all over the globe for hours, in trances, in ecstasy... hare krishnas singing like mad and sending out love, you know, and hot dog eating contests usually just ends in an explosion of diarrhea.
  • edited March 2010
    Anyone else in the thread ever been a performing musician?

I can offer only my own experience as a semi-pro trumpet player for a number of years:
    It takes on a completely different meaning when you're standing out in front of an audience, creating a certain tone and technique on a trumpet, while accompanied by a talented organist. Something happens in your mind when it's right, a total focus and rapture, and a near absence of thought at times. I'm thoroughly unqualified to call it jhana...but it sure matches the descriptions. :)
  • edited March 2010
    i've never performed, but jamming with others has resulted in some great experiences, also simply playing by myself i've had some glorious moments... i remember one time i hadn't slept at all one night and in the morning as happens when the night was completely robbed of sleep for you you have a weird ecstatic energy, i started playing my geetar and very emotionally got into a great rhythm and sang with a voice i've hardly heard before, the depths that you can touch in your being when you have been deprived of such a necessary activity as sleep and when you express yourself with such a thing as music are amazing, though too i could have been hallucinating ha ha. but yes i imagine performing is much deliciouser than other musicmaking, very communal activity, very spiritually arousing, especially when the audience can really feel it and is reacting to it, or rather not reacting at all, just being it.
  • edited March 2010
    I've been a musician for 25+ years.Not professional. I've spent more money than I'll ever make. Right now I play bass and sing in a classic rock cover band, and also write and record at home.
    Ive learned to let go of a fair amount of attachment to music. Obsession with it helped kill my marriage. Now It's just for fun, and most days I can take it or leave it.
    I definitely can see the dark side of it, though. For years I've been really into bands with overly intense, and often times downright depressing themes. Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, Alice in Chains. When you listen to The Wall, or Animals over and over again, and start identifying with it, internalizing it and actually thinking there is some virtue in the whole tortured artist thing, it can really drag your whole consciousness into an abyss. Amazing how much pleasure one can take in their own pain.
    These days, I'd much prefer to listen to a talk by Ajahm Brahm than Dark Side Of The Moon.
  • StaticToyboxStaticToybox Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Some of my most meditative and "in the moment" moments come while I'm listening to music or playing music of my own making.
  • edited March 2010
    I'm glad to read this out of all the responses, because to me playing classical guitar is part of who I am, and how I can express what I feel nothing less nothing more.

Most of the comments here have been about listening to music, about letting go of attachments. But to me if done with the right perspective and in proportion, playing or enjoying music is not unlike any other need that we have, and any other healthy pleasure that we can experience.

If I were to stop playing music it would be similar to stopping eating or at least enjoying it. So to reach enlightenment are we to cease this too?

I do "work" at not overdoing things like eating, and should music become a matter of concern, and excess than I can see it being a problem, and an obstacle in my journey. But at least up to now, it is just a another facet of my Day to day life.
    Mani wrote: »
    No, I don't think so. I think that these aspects of creativity come from our "Buddha-nature" actually. There are many achieved teachers who have very creative sides to them. For example, the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje has written some poetry, has composed some musical pieces, etc. I think that one is usually in a certain state of mind when in that creative process. Sort of like when musicians say they are "in the zone". Very aware, where things just flow in that sense.

I answered the way I did because if I continued to play music, I would probably spend most of my time doing that, and very little time studying and practicing. When thinking about when I used to do that, it didn't really bring me any closer to the aspirations and goals I now have.