Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Don't know WHAT possessed me, but...

SabineSabine Veteran
edited October 2005 in Faith & Religion
I told my mom that I am seriously planning on "officially" converting to Buddhism. At first (probably because this was late at night), she didn't really say anything, but now my parents are making me randomly pray with them, and they're going to start making me do Bible study stuff. :sadc: What do I do??? I have to stay here for two more years...and I have a feeling that if I refuse to give in, it'll just get worse...I already have to leave my few books on Buddhism in my locker at school :/
And she also told me to not tell my friends/boyfriend (which I've already done), because they'll think I'm "Satanic." :hrm: :confused:

Comments

• edited August 2005
    Wow, that's tough. I don't even live with my mom and it bugs me when she occasionally mentions that I should be going to church (she doesn't know I'm Buddhist). As far as I can see, you have a few rather un-perfect choices.

You can go through the motions and pretend you see the error of your ways (so to speak). She'll think it was just a phase, but you'll probably be at least as miserable as you were before since now you'll have a greater lie to hold up.

You can passively do nothing. You can sit quietly as she prays, refuse to talk about the Bible, etc. She won't be happy, and she'll try harder at least at first, but she might get bored and start laying off a bit.

Of course, you can just consider that cat out of the bag and totally be yourself and do what you want to do. I don't propose that you rub it into your mom's face or try to convert her or prove that you're right/she's wrong, or anything like that. But neither would you be worrying too much about her, either. Again, she'd probably try harder at first, then eventually settle with only occasional lectures.

In reality, you might try a combination of 2 and 3. Please let me know how it goes. Afterall, I'm not out of the closet yet when it comes to Buddhism, though I have told my mom I wasn't Catholic and don't go to church.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited August 2005
    You may go through some horrid times, Sabine. I was certainly not able to smoothe over the tempest that blew up at home!

It lasted about 5 years, on and off, until we decided to avoid the subject entirely.

I carried on with my spiritual studies and practice because my parents were firm believers in freedom of expression (having both taken part in WW2) and, at the same time, I read everything my father threw at me. I learned an enormous amount that way, although I have a memory of great hurt on all sides. My main support was my grandmother.

So I have no advice at all, only sympathy and good thoughts as well as trust that the Dharma does not let us down because it is testable truth.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Tricky situation my friend. My mother did not react quite in the way that yours has, but the technique I have used is to not discuss buddhism; and listen, but not necessarily agree. If you stick with it long enough, maybe your mother will see that you are not going through a 'phase' and she may notice subtle changes in you - for the better. Don't rub it in her face, but be subtle.

Like DK said, keep us informed on how things are going.
    Carlia
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    I wish I could offer wise words of support, and anecdotes of my experiences....
    My parents are both Roman Catholic. my British father converted when he married my Italian mother. It was just the simplest and easiest thing to do at the time. (Anything for a quiet life....!!)
    My mother is still a regular church-goer and actively participates in the mass through doing the readings and assisting during communion.
    Having said this, there are aspects of current Catholic doctrine she abhors, particularly on the issue of women priests. a good 70%of regular RC church-goers are women, and yet....!
    For my part, I was raised RC and actively participated throughout my life, by among other things, attending a convent for my own schooling, and educating my two girls in Catholic schools and becoming a school Governor, which entailed quite a close contact with the school itself, as well as the religion 'supporting' it.
    So when I decided to follow the Buddhist path, as you can see from the above, I expected the fall-out to be sizeable....
    To my astonishment, nobody batted an eyelid. 'Au Contraire':My mother, who has extensively studied Indian philosophy through Ayurvedic medicine, was very interested. We still have wonderful discussions on all sorts of aspects of our two "disciplines" and combine our knowledge wonderfully.

If I have learnt anything through this, it is to not be dismissive. Thank your parents for their obvious care and concern for you. Remember that what people don't understand, they fear. Look for the similarities between the Biblical and Buddhist Teachings - believe me, they do exist! Whichever parent you relate to most, speak to them, gradually and gently introducing your point of view. Sometimes, the fight is just two people pulling in the same direction, without knowing it.... :)
  • kinleekinlee Veteran
    edited August 2005
    federica wrote:
    If I have learnt anything through this, it is to not be dismissive. Thank your parents for their obvious care and concern for you. Remember that what people don't understand, they fear. Look for the similarities between the Biblical and Buddhist Teachings - believe me, they do exist! Whichever parent you relate to most, speak to them, gradually and gently introducing your point of view. Sometimes, the fight is just two people pulling in the same direction, without knowing it.... :)

I like it. I think you are a wonderful person.
    Thanks.

cheers,
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Thanks, everybody...I'm so glad that I have all of you to depend on for advice and everything :)
    I'll just keep learning as much as possible of the Dharma, and also put your advice into action. I guess I'll just have to stay away from her as much as possible, too--I keep hearing random mutterings about "hell, Jesus, God, etc." :p Hopefully, this will be some type of lesson to me.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I guess to throw my $0.02 in...

I don't know what I'd do...

If I were an adult... I'd tell them exactly what I want to do in the most peaceful way possible.

If I were NOT an adult - I think I'd practice passiveness.

I guess if they want you to pray, I think I would go through the motions to please them - and that's about it. And if they say, "You're just going through the motions!!!" - you could tell them, "Yes, because that's what you want me to do."

Or you could meditate while they pray.

You can tell them that you love them and that, possibly, your feelings about Christianity haven't changed a bit.

I just think that if you're not praying to their Christian god for real - it doesn't do any good anyway.

Maybe you could have them pray with you before you go to bed...

"And God bless Mommy and Daddy and Buddha..."

-bf
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Tell them to stop being judgemental christians, LOL.... ;)
    edited August 2005
    If it's any comfort, Gautama's family and friends were furious at him!
    edited August 2005

Were they?

That's one of the stories you rarely hear about. What goes on behind the scenes.

I remember seeing a show on the History Channel about Abraham in the Bible.

The story we've read in the tells a story of the faith Abraham had in God and how willing he was to do God's commandments. Sacrificing his only son (that they had tried and tried for a long time to have) to God as part of God's commandment.

But, in Jewish history, it tells of all the hurt, anger, and such that happened between Abraham and his wife (who's name eludes me at this point in time).
    That his wife never really got over it and it caused a rift between them for the rest of their days together.

Many times we hear the happy tale of what happened to various figures in history - but seldom do we hear about the repercussions of these acts.

If anyone has a link or book regarding Simon's statements, I'd love to check it out. It just goes to show that ~everyone~ has to deal with the real world and it's problems.

-bf
    edited August 2005
    Before I dig around in my books to find the reference to Gautama's family (remembering that he abandoned a wife and child), we have a couple of instances in the New Testament which show that Jesus wasn't terribly popular at home!
    edited August 2005
    Before I dig around in my books to find the reference to Gautama's family (remembering that he abandoned a wife and child), we have a couple of instances in the New Testament which show that Jesus wasn't terribly popular at home!

What were they?

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2005
    Well, I for one know that his mum & dad were livid for him going AWOL during the Passover festival in Jerusalem, and they found him after a long, sweaty and frantic search, at the temple. Like any stroppy teenager, instead of being contrite, he said 'well, where did you think I'd be? It's logical, innit, that I should be at my father's house?'

St. peter denied knowing him, before the crucifixion - if this isn't denial, I don't know what is.... and Judas has gone down big time as history's mega social pariah for dropping him in it big time.....

Ok, peter repented afterwards, but it's always easy after the event....

Abraham's wife was Sarah, BTW... I have it on very good authority....*giggle*
    edited August 2005
    Oh yeah... that's right.

I forgot about them finding him with the religious big-wigs schoolin' 'em with his skilz.

BOYEEEEE!

-bf
    edited August 2005
    re the Jesus story, there is also the episode when his mother and brothers come to take him home while he is preaching (Mat.12, Mark 3 and Luke 8) and, in 'John' (5), we are told that even his brothers didn't believe him.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Wow. I feel his pain ^_^
    Well, so far, I haven't been forced to an exorcism yet, so no biggie. And I read this awesome article in a Newsweek magazine about spirituality, so that helped. :p
    edited September 2005
    Perhaps, Sab., your parents could read and reflect on the words spoken by Jesus in the account by Luke:
    Do you suppose that I am here to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but rather division. For from now on a household of five will be divided: three against two and two against three; the father divided against the son, son against father, mother against daughter, daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law, daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.
    (Luke 12:51-53)

[BTW, there is an interesting clue in this text to an alternative theology of the Cross, very different from the, to me. disgusting 'substitutionary' stuff. But that's a horse of a different colour, isn't it?]
  • edited September 2005
    Sabine,

In a strange way I share your situation.

I come from a staunchly Atheist family where religion is generally scoffed at as a waste of time and, to but it bluntly, nonsense.

I, therefore, get a hard time for being vegetarian, not drinking and generally living for the sake of something other than material gain.

I respect the views of my parents - I don't share them and that means I don't have to live by them.

This makes for some friction sometimes but it only deepens my practice, my resolve to walk the path - regardless of critique.

With regular meditation and mindfullness I have been able to stand up and say:

"Thank you for loving me and caring for me. Now I but wish to love and care for others."

Are these the words of a devil?

I hope the different spiritual paths in your family do not affect your relationship with them - after all you have the sangha for any form of Buddhist support!
    edited September 2005
    [BTW, there is an interesting clue in this text to an alternative theology of the Cross, very different from the, to me. disgusting 'substitutionary' stuff. But that's a horse of a different colour, isn't it?]

Now you're just being cryptic. Be fair and share.... some of us are not so thoroughly read... I'm up for a quick bit of theological education - it is Sunday after all...!! :buck:
    edited September 2005
    OK, Fede., you asked for it (and I admit that it is an aspect of the theology of the Cross which fascinates me):

"In the beginning was the logos" - traditionally the word logos is translated by the static "word" but it also has the meaning of "conversation", an interchange of views.

It is possible to view the event of the Cross as the culmination of an 'internal', 'family' struggle between Yahweh (Justice) and the Christ (Love and Reconciliation) where the latter prevails. It is not about human failings or some 'Fall' but about whether the world is to be judged or loved.

There is therefore no 'sacrifice' of a Son by a Father (a disgusting idea which contradicts the Abraham/Isaac legend) but an event which is reflected over and over again within human families. As Above, so Below, as the Magick people say.

The Swiss theologian, Moltmann is an important writer on this notion of the Cross being a matter internal to the Trinity. The outcome, being a victory for the Son, results in the Spirit being an Advocate rather than an Accuser.

There you are, in a nutshell.
    edited September 2005
    I have often said (though not so much on this site) that scriptures of any kind are malleable and that any idea or belief can be justified and upheld by any quotation, if you can find it.... any 'man-made' scripture is also open to interpretation, and careful study and analysis of the Bible by those far more capable than I, has now revealed it to be a massive composite of writings produced across centuries. None of the four gospels is a work contemporary to Christ.... and anyone intelligent knows that many of the incidents recounted in the New Testament acts are either chronologically innaccurate, or allegorical... (the time between Christ's entry into Jerusalem - Palm Sunday - and his crucifixion is probably more in terms of years than one week...!! Three kings were probably more like thirty.... The Loaves and fishes were an allegory of how God's teachings can reach the masses, and feed thousands or feed a few, whatever the situation...and the massacre of the innocents was in a completely different decade....)

The "trick" is to glean.... you sort the wheat from the chaff and focus on what really matters, what 'speaks' to you.... much of what Christ and St. Paul say can be read in Buddhist terminology.... the scriptures are open to interpretation, but the central message of Truth although coated in multi-layered diatribe, is faultless and crystal-clear.... getting lost in discussing what is probable, arguable or tenuous - and by Buddhist logic, therefore irrelevant - risks taking one away from the important.

Blimey, what a serious post!!
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I seriously love you guys. :bigclap:
    And here's an audio clip from the Newsweek site--the woman in the second part of the clip converted to Tibetan Buddhism and she now teaches it at Wesleyan University ^_^
    (If you want to just hear her part, skip to about 4 minutes/27 seconds. *nod*)
    http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9107257/site/newsweek/
    It's from the Newsweek special "Spirituality 2005." Pretty good read, I rented it from my school's library. ^_^ Unfortunately, the site doesn't have the entire article. XP
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited September 2005
    One word: Compassion
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited September 2005
    hi sabine,
    i think you should explain to your parent why you want to convert/follow buddhism path.if the explanation is reasonable i think your parent will allow you to follow this Path.But even if they don't accept your explanation you shouldn't argue with your parent.Show them that Buddhism have made you become a better person (more diligent, more obidient, for example)
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Well look at it from your parents' point of view... "I mean I raised this kid up from a child and here he comes telling me that I'm following the wrong belief or something like that."

Your parents will be angry of course, unless they are extremely understanding people or what... Maybe you will have to apply your Buddhist understandings to practical situations... Then myabe they will start to realize what you mean.

I was born Buddhist but was raised more like a Taoist. I picked up my first Buddhist book last year and I changed. I knew my life wouldn't be the same again. I wasn't the idiot I had been. My mum noticed a change in me. Maybe your mum will notice the changes in you too.
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Otay :p
    I'll probably just stay off the subject for a while, anyway. You know. Let stuff cool off.
  • edited September 2005
    My scenario at home is like that of BeautifulSpringtimeFist. My mother keeps making random comments that at times I am sure must be a dig at my religion, for example...
    the other day we drove passed a sign that said "tennis buddies". She remarked at the time, "tennis buddhist? what's that all about?!" after which continued a ten minute "joke" with my father involving humming & miming playing tennis. instead of reacting, i just ignored them & let them have their fun. after a while they got bored and started talking about other things.
    it is genuinly best to let these things run their course; but to say something if a certain line is crossed that should never have been.
    that's my advice, anyhow!
    edited September 2005
    Love your signature Rhidee... and your response shows a maturity beyond your years.... :)
  • edited September 2005
    I was raised Christian and became a Buddhist only a few months ago. It is not a rejection of Christianity. It is an acceptance of Buddhism. I have "come out" to most of my friends. They have respected my decision. My wife is a different story. She was raised Catholic and became a Presbyterian about a dozen years ago. While I was reading books by the Dalai Lama and Thich Nhat Hahn, my wife saw it was not just a passing interest. She asked me, "Why are you reading those books? I replied, "Because they make sense to me." She has said no more on the subject. She is not happy with it, but she is not harping on me to show me the error of my ways . I respect her choice of faith and she is respecting, while not agreeing, with my choice. My family is another story. I have not mentioned my religous beliefs to them and I won't, simply because I want to keep the peace. My brother, who is a fundamentalist Christian in every sense of the word, told me, literally, "If you're not Christian, you're wrong." I knew there would be no point in discussing it with him as he would not be willing to listen. I would not want to try and convert him; but he would try to convert me. The quotation from George Harrison that I use, I also use as a signature in my private e-mails. My brother sent me a curt note, "That is bad theology."

If there is a chance for open-minded discussion, I will talk about my beliefs. If the steel door has been snapped shut, I do not even bother.

Some people think they are right and everyone else is wrong. I remember a line from the play and movie "Inherit the Wind": "`Right' has no meaning whatsoever. But `Truth' has meaning, as a direction."
  • SabineSabine Veteran
    edited October 2005
    federica wrote:
    Love your signature Rhidee... and your response shows a maturity beyond your years.... :)
    Yes, and it would be a great senior quote...!:D *writes it down for next year*
    Right-o. Flyte, I'm sorry about your brother. :( To be like that is just in some people's nature, I guess...