Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A beginner's question

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
I am just getting in with Buddhism, and I, by things of randomness, got in touch with the SGI Buddhism. (Im in Silicon Valley)They gave me a book, I read it and i got very confused, because they don t see the desire as cause of pain, and they think that we must follow our desires and make them true... I suppose them to say me that i must eliminate desire from my life... What do you know abour SGI? their webpage is http://www.sgisubs.com
I see them a little like "Buddhism of success" or "If you want to increase your earnings, come to us" Can someone tell me if im on the right track? Maybe i've got confused (i usually dont trust) what do you think?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I have real problems with Nichiren Buddhism, not least because of its emphasis of "faith". Nevertheless, there was a real fashion for it a while ago. It appeared to appeal to 'celebrities'.

You are right, Iperich, that ther is an emphasis on the practice bringing wealth, comfort and 'success'. This is allegedly based on the Lotus Sutra.

This is far from being my own take on the Dharma but, perhaps, we have a Nichiren practitioner here who could put us right.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hello, Iperich.... welcome to our humble little abode...
    I originate from the UK but now live in France. So I'm afraid I knnow nothing of this SGI Buddhism, but it strikes me as a load of free-loaders jumping on a bandwagon.... could be wrong. Strictly speaking, there is something to be said for what they say, but I'd have to know a lot more....

The Buddha gave four Noble Truths:
    Life is "Dukka"
    "Dukka" is caused by clinging
    There is a way out of this cyclical samsaric continuous existence
    The EightFold path is the way to freedom from "Dukka".

Now, "Dukka" may be translated as 'Suffering', 'Pain', Dissatisfaction', Frustration', Hard to Bear', Hollow' or quite simply, 'Off the Mark.' Such is the complexity posed by translating ancient texts such as the Sutras.... Interpretation is therefore, by definition, also complex or open to question. But one thing is certain:
    Human beings become overly attached to the trappings of Life, be they material or emotional. Getting overly attached to them brings frustration, because we either (a) begin to perceive it as inadequate, and want it all and want it now, or (b) when it's over, we go into different levels of frustration, dissatisfaction and even downright depression. Therefore, Clinging in its rawest most selfish form is patently not a good thing for us.....
    It's ok to love, to enjoy, to delight in things and people, to take pleasure and joy from that we all share in..... Don't believe however, that these things are the SOURCE of your lasting happiness: They're not. These things too, shall pass away.
    Buddhism teaches and encourages to seek the Inner Permanent Joy you already have, by examining your thoughts, words and deeds, and amending them accordingly, through your own will and self-discipline. It's a quest to Know your Self and improve the later edition.... The Eightfold Path lays out a series of guidelines for you to consider.....
    There are no 'commandments' in Buddhism, for the likes of you and me..... :)

This site is full of people, from all walks of life, from different religious origins and persuasions, who are just like you, out to find some answers.

Together, we question, discuss, debate and generaly chat..... and all of us, with our different angles, add different dimensions to questions/problems/comments posed.