Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Ajahn Brahm instructions

patbbpatbb Veteran
edited March 2010 in Meditation
Hello all,

I'm currently reading Ajahn Brahm's book called "Mindfulness, Bliss & Beyond" which is his instructions to meditation.

I just found out that, at least part of it, is available online here.

Anyhow, I have a question regarding his instruction, and i thought i might find someone who could help me here.

In his book, the first stage should be "Sustained attention on the present moment".
he points to:
-The goal of this meditation is the beautiful silence, stillness and clarity of mind.
-The effort is directed to letting go, to developing a mind that inclines to abandoning.
- he points to abandoning future and past.

and that is pretty much it for this stage.

The problem is that he doesn't say how to do these things.

Focusing your attention on the breath (or something else) only come 2 stages later.
Should i just close my eyes and not think anything?
Should every times i have a thought, i should say to myself "let go"?

remember that the first stage is named "Sustained attention on the present moment".
Which i guess means i must give my attention to something "the present moment" and NOT do nothing.

But how to give my attention to the present moment if not observing the breath? By listening to the sounds? By observing the thoughts that pop in my head? ...

In Vipassana (I did a 10 days retreat a year ago), you always doing something (focusing on the breath, on the sensations in the body...)
so i'm just lost at what to do.

Hope someone can help me!

thank you so very much and have a wonderful day!:)

Patrice

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    (. . .) remember that the first stage is named "Sustained attention on the present moment".
    Which i guess means i must give my attention to something "the present moment" and NOT do nothing.
    Attention, yes. Not singular focus, because every moment is a present moment....
    But how to give my attention to the present moment if not observing the breath? By listening to the sounds? By observing the thoughts that pop in my head? ...
    Encapsulate everything that is happening within you and around you, but without commentary, evaluation, appraisal or judgement.... just' watch'. Don't 'say' anything about it.....
    In Vipassana (I did a 10 days retreat a year ago), you always doing something (focusing on the breath, on the sensations in the body...)
    I know...it can be a bummer, can't it? Don't sweat it.... remember the brain is a 'computer' made to think and keep us alive. You're not suppressing thoughts. You're just noticing them, permitting them to arise, but controlling them and not letting them run away with you.....

Patrice
    Hope I did.... But I dunno.....
    You have a great day too!

Fede :)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thank you!

Observe whatever is happening from any of the 5 senses?

It seems to be right.

Thanks again!

Patrice
  • DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited March 2010
    But he has. Ajahn Brahm has advised silence, stillness and clarity of mind.

If I advise you to keep your speech silent, can you do that?

Ajahn Brahm has advised to keep the mind silent.
    Focusing your attention on the breath (or something else) only come 2 stages later.
    I am not sure this is correct. When the mind is silent, the breathing in & out naturally becames the object of meditation. Attention gathers itself naturally upon the breath. There is no need to "focus your attention". Attention will focus itself at the right time. The mind & the breathing with converge in unison. Mind will go to the breath and the breath will go to the mind.
    Yes. Absolutely. That is, if you wish to follow Ajahn Brahm's method.
    Yes. Absolutely. The method is to establish your mind in silence, stillness and clarity. What is there to think about?
    remember that the first stage is named "Sustained attention on the present moment".
    Yes. Sustained attention on the present moment (rather than thinking).
    Yes and no. The mind always has attention or awareness. If you do nothing, awareness will still be there. Better to do silent 'nothing' than to do 'something'. The mind should not be strained. It should be at ease but silent. Just naturally awake.
    By doing nothing. When one is doing 'nothing', sounds may enter which is fine. This is because sound awareness will still remain when doing 'nothing'. But if thoughts pop into your head, you are doing 'something' rather than 'nothing'.

Having the mind fall upon and listen naturally to sounds is fine. In fact, it cannot be avoided. For the silent mind to 'listen' is the most natural thing.
    Ajahn Brahm is teaching a different method than what Goenka labels as 'vipassana'.

You must choose the method that is suitable for you. If you cannot make the mind still in the present moment then possibly you should stay with the Goenka method.

The Buddha said:
    I don't say that there is mindfulness with in-&-out breathing in one of lapsed mindfulness and no alertness...

Anapanasati Sutta

Kind regards

DD

:)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2010
    Thank you!

Observe whatever is happening from any of the 5 senses?

It seems to be right.

Thanks again!

Patrice

yes... "watch" using the 5 senses, but don't stay stuck on it, nor dwell on it, nor give any of it needless priority or attention... simply "be there" and note....

DD above, is also insightful, as ever....;)
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thank you DD.

You must choose the method that is suitable for you. If you cannot make the mind still in the present moment then possibly you should stay with the Goenka method.

This is why I'm trying to understand the instructions of Ajahn Brahm so I can give his method a fair trial.

I cannot choose or know which method suits me unless I experience it first.
    Or perhaps Vipassana (at least the Goenka's way) doesn't really suits me so I seek a different method... hmmm, i guess this is right...

What method do you use?

Thanks again for the help!

Patrice
  • edited March 2010
    Hello all,

I'm currently reading Ajahn Brahm's book called "Mindfulness, Bliss & Beyond" which is his instructions to meditation.

I just found out that, at least part of it, is available online here.

Anyhow, I have a question regarding his instruction, and i thought i might find someone who could help me here.

In his book, the first stage should be "Sustained attention on the present moment".
    he points to:
    -The goal of this meditation is the beautiful silence, stillness and clarity of mind.
    -The effort is directed to letting go, to developing a mind that inclines to abandoning.
    - he points to abandoning future and past.

and that is pretty much it for this stage.

Patrice
    I'm reading the same book and had the same question.
    edited March 2010
    What method do you use?
    I suppose i could say i use AB's method although it could be said AB uses my method.

May your practise bear fruit

:smilec:
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Holy cow, Dhatu. Isn't AB's method the Buddha's method? Are you the Buddha? :)
    edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    Holy cow, Dhatu. Isn't AB's method the Buddha's method? Are you the Buddha? :)
    Indeed. Well spoken (despite the fact we were not talking about the Buddha but talking about different methods). I would say it is the Buddha's method. But one has to work it out.

Many cannot discern the suttas so teachers must develop teachings as follows:
    The Great Way is not difficult
    for those who have no preferences.
    When love and hate are both absent
    everything becomes clear and undisguised.

Make the smallest distinction, however
    and heaven and earth are set apart forever.
    If you wish to see the truth
    then hold no opinions for or against anything.

To set up what you like against what you dislike
    is the disease of the mind.
    When the deep meaning (unity) of things is not understood
    the mind's essential peace is disturbed to no avail.

The Way is perfect like vast space
    where nothing is lacking and nothing is in excess.
    Indeed, it is due to our choosing to accept or reject
    that we do not see the true nature of things.

Hsin-hsin Ming
    But then some say the Hsin-Hsin Ming is not what the suttas teach. It is Zen, not Theravada.

Kind regards

:)
  • edited March 2010
    Reading books about Buddhism can be beneficial, but it is not practice. You speak of confusion about your method of meditation. That is where you are. You are probably confused about other issues too i suspect. Confusion is a normal part of our minds activity. What is necessary is to stop it. :)
    Here is the method i used to stop confusion......place a spot on the wall maybe 6 ft from where you will be "sitting". Get comfortable and begin to stare at the dot. When your mind wanders bring your attention back to the spot and just stare at it. No matter what your mind produces bring your attention back to the spot. After about 20 minutes stop the exercise. I would do this soon after i awoke in the morning, and around sunset for a few months. What will begin to happen is your mind will stop thinking and and will enter a silence and awareness but no words or distractions will be present. That is the goal of meditation. Then remember that state of mind when you get up and go about your life. The more you stay with this empty mind and open heart, the more you will not fall into confusion. Books can lead us astray. practice will not.
    edited March 2010
    dennis60 wrote: »
    ...your mind will stop thinking and and will enter a silence and awareness but no words or distractions will be present. That is the goal of meditation.

That is not the goal of meditation, at least not Buddhist meditation. The goal is full awareness of every aspect of experience.
    Then remember that state of mind when you get up and go about your life. The more you stay with this empty mind and open heart, the more you will not fall into confusion. Books can lead us astray. practice will not.
    You are setting up a mental state which people will attach to and chase after. This is potentially highly counterproductive.
  • edited March 2010
    wrong, there is no mental state that i have suggested. There is only awareness and listening. If your mind is conceiving thoughts and your are following them, then you are being lead by your thoughts, which are by nature illusion. I would not discount what i have said and ridicule the method until you experience it. It is demeaning and you should know better than that.
    edited March 2010
    It's not ridicule, just pointing out that your description has the potential to lead people astray.
  • edited March 2010
    Astray from what? and yes you did ridicule as though what i have experienced is invalid. I see you have been around this forum for awhile. With 1,354 posts. You probably have assisted many on their way. Thank you for that. But please, before you actually do the practice of which i speak, please don't tell others it will lead them astray. EVERYTHING and ANYTHING has the potential to lead us astray. That is why and how to maintain your practice of empty mind, heart open. And that is diligence in keeping the mind free of obscuring thoughts and the body free of conflicting feelings. That does not happen overnight. One must find a practice that accomplishes these things and stay with it. Always being willing to modify their practice so that they can experience the universe as it is, not what we describe at it as.
    edited March 2010
    Heh. And were you remembering "that state of mind" as you wrote these defensive responses?

"By their fruits ye shall surely know them."

BTW, this is ridicule.
  • edited March 2010
    Don't do the point your finger at me game. You started this with a ridicule of my first post. Live with it. And i would like you to do the practice i suggested for three months and then get back to me, other than that, leave it alone and let others try it without belittling the method of meditation which is highly regarded in many Buddhists practice.
    edited March 2010
    If you read over the record, there was no belittling of the practice, just a contradiction of your characterization of the goals of Buddhist practice as inaccurate and a warning that you are setting up a mental state to chase after. The practice (and the mischaracterization) are quite familar.
  • edited March 2010
    fivebells wrote: »
    If you read over the record, there was no belittling of the practice, just a contradiction of your characterization of the goals of Buddhist practice as inaccurate and a warning that you are setting up a mental state to chase after. The practice (and the mischaracterization) are quite familar.

OK, i will accept that. But please explain how the goals of an open mind and heart and seeing clearly ( awakened ) are not the goals of Buddhist practice. And there is no "chasing after" that you are talking about. I have no idea what state of mind you are referring to. Please help me out here. The meditation of which i suggested helps one drop all "chasing after". For a calm mind and heart has no need ( desire ) to chase after anything. Please what state of mind do you think this practice could lead to.?
    edited March 2010
    ...please explain how the goals of an open mind and heart and seeing clearly ( awakened ) are not the goals of Buddhist practice.
    That's a fine characterization, but not what you said. You said "What will begin to happen is your mind will stop thinking and and will enter a silence and awareness but no words or distractions will be present. That is the goal of meditation."
    And there is no "chasing after" that you are talking about. I have no idea what state of mind you are referring to.
    The state of mind described in the quote with the bold text.
  • edited March 2010
    Ok, i think i understand where you are coming from. For me after many years now of practice, there is little distinction about meditation and the practice of Buddhism. I do not change while meditating anymore and neither when i am walking about or talking with others. It is a very fine distinction between the practice in/of Buddhism and goal of meditation and the result of "no chasing after". I will leave it at that, maybe later it will come to me how they differ.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    His book is the most descriptive I have read so far on meditation. You sure you were reading it with mindfulness? :p
    Yes. He is advising us to start with the “silent present moment consciousness” without jumping to the breath all at once. That is, when you sit on your cushion, first let go of your inner chatter and thoughts of the past and the future and just be in the present moment. If you hear a bird chirping out of the window just hear that sound without labeling or analyzing it. That is “silent present moment consciousness”. He has given a simile for this in the book: “Greeting visitors”.

After you feel that you are comfortable with this state (usually takes about 5 minutes for me) then slowly drift your attention to the breath.
    Yes. You cannot meditate while your mind is clouded with a thousand thoughts, can you? Thoughts are unproductive; just noise. Let go of your thoughts and inner chatter. First you need to establish a level of Samadhi (attentive stillness) of the mind before vipassana arises in your mind. That is the whole idea of “mindfulness with breathing”. You use the breath to still the mind so that wisdom can arise in the still mind.

Every time you get a thought, let go of the thought and gently turn your attention back to the meditation object, which is the breath. This is the practice.

Why is this so confusing? Maybe you have been practicing meditation in a totally different way before.

The idea here is simply this:

1) Silent present moment consciousness (let go of the thoughts, inner chatter and just be in the present, listen to the sounds in the present without analyzing them etc)

2) Then slowly drift your attention to the breath. Follow the breath in and out without missing a single step. That is “sustained attention on the breath”. If you slip somewhere, start all over again

3) Fully sustained attention on the breath gradually develops into deeper absorption (you lose sense of the five sensory feelings, the duality of the breath becomes one etc)

4) Then the mind naturally drift towards the nimitta. The rest is out of your control really. AB gives instructions on each step in greater detail

In this method of meditation you really do not cloud your mind with too many thoughts of the “quality of the breath”, “sensations in the body” or this and that. Vipassana arises naturally as your mind gets absorbed into attentive stillness and awareness. As AB says “you cannot gain wisdom by contemplating the world. You can gain wisdom by attentive stillness.”

But really, all this is described in the book in greater detail. Maybe you should totally forget the things you learnt in the retreat and start reading the book with a fresh mind. Good luck!1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thank you Deshy, it was very kind of you to explain this in such a detailed manner response.

I will re-read the book with this new information in mind.

Have a great day!
    Deshy wrote: »
    His book is the most descriptive I have read so far on meditation. You sure you were reading it with mindfulness? :p

Yes. He is advising us to start with the “silent present moment consciousness” without jumping to the breath all at once. That is, when you sit on your cushion, first let go of your inner chatter and thoughts of the past and the future and just be in the present moment. If you hear a bird chirping out of the window just hear that sound without labeling or analyzing it. That is “silent present moment consciousness”. He has given a simile for this in the book: “Greeting visitors”.

After you feel that you are comfortable with this state (usually takes about 5 minutes for me) then slowly drift your attention to the breath.

Yes. You cannot meditate while your mind is clouded with a thousand thoughts, can you? Thoughts are unproductive; just noise. Let go of your thoughts and inner chatter. First you need to establish a level of Samadhi (attentive stillness) of the mind before vipassana arises in your mind. That is the whole idea of “mindfulness with breathing”. You use the breath to still the mind so that wisdom can arise in the still mind.

Every time you get a thought, let go of the thought and gently turn your attention back to the meditation object, which is the breath. This is the practice.

Why is this so confusing? Maybe you have been practicing meditation in a totally different way before.

The idea here is simply this:

1) Silent present moment consciousness (let go of the thoughts, inner chatter and just be in the present, listen to the sounds in the present without analyzing them etc)

2) Then slowly drift your attention to the breath. Follow the breath in and out without missing a single step. That is “sustained attention on the breath”. If you slip somewhere, start all over again

3) Fully sustained attention on the breath gradually develops into deeper absorption (you lose sense of the five sensory feelings, the duality of the breath becomes one etc)

4) Then the mind naturally drift towards the nimitta. The rest is out of your control really. AB gives instructions on each step in greater detail

In this method of meditation you really do not cloud your mind with too many thoughts of the “quality of the breath”, “sensations in the body” or this and that. Vipassana arises naturally as your mind gets absorbed into attentive stillness and awareness. As AB says “you cannot gain wisdom by contemplating the world. You can gain wisdom by attentive stillness.”

But really, all this is described in the book in greater detail. Maybe you should totally forget the things you learnt in the retreat and start reading the book with a fresh mind. Good luck!1aK+F4PJ7cBm32CUNiyI2GAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited March 2010
    Thank you Deshy, it was very kind of you to explain this in such a detailed manner response.

I will re-read the book with this new information in mind.

Have a great day!

You're welcome :) Please feel free to ask anymore questions if you have any on the book as I have read it so many times and it is basically my meditation handbook. ;) Nonetheless I am reading "mindfulness with breathing" by Ajhan Buddhadasa these days. Another great read but not so descriptive as mindfulness by AB