Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I think I'm getting warmer...

MakarovMakarov Explorer
edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Thanks so much for the responses to my first post here. I hope my question/questions are not offensive to any readers. If I am phrasing them poorly, please excuse the lack of finese. I have been doing a lot of internet reading and think I may be getting closer. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Essentially Buddhism is a religion without a specific God that is worshiped but rather a religion based upon following a path, established by Buddha to lead a simple and moral life leading to inner peace (ie) ultimately to enlightenment.
I don't seem to find anything stating specific rules or "commandments" or any mention of punishment as in the Christian form of hell for lack of compliance. It seems to me more like The Buddha found the path to personal peace and taught how others could do the same. If you fail, give-up or don't care then it is simply your loss as you will never realize the enlightenment he experienced. Is this correct?
I hope I am on the right track here. It's not easy since I can't exactly go to anyone locally and ask for direction or explanation and I guess that just as in Christianity...there are a 1000 different answers depending on who you ask.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    You're doing OK, and your "diagnosis" is accurate.... But as you hint in your post, Buddhism (aside from following the 8Fold path and five Precepts diligently) is pretty much as you describe.... remember the adage... 'life is what you make it'... I guess Buddhism is too, but people forget things like 'sacrifice' and 'devotion'... as with any discipline or, dare I say it, Religion, a certain amount of self-restraint is vital.... self-restraint in that we recognise potentially harmful habits and character traits within ourselves (and only WE can judge them as this!) and we work and strive to change that which we perceive thus.... For MY part, inspite of the 'No God' premise, Devotion is part and parcel of my Buddhist path... I am devoted to Following the Path, Devoted to the Five Precepts and devoted to achieving a Peace and Joy within myself through my practise.
    "Everybody wants to get to Heaven... It's just that some are waiting until the entry requirement Rules are relaxed a bit...." Short cuts exist, but then you don't get to see the full wonder of the magnificent scenery.

What i'm trying to say in a relatively clumsy and verbose way, is that Buddhism can be as simple or as complex as you wish to make it. But chiefly, the toughest Mountain to climb is the one you make for yourself. But the View.......!! :)
  • MakarovMakarov Explorer
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for your reply Federica. Up until now I had not really recognized the "devotion" aspect you mention. I am however much more comfortable with the concept of devotion to a discipline as opposed to a deity or person.
    As I see it so far, Buddha is revered not so much as a God/Deity as he is simply the discovere and teacher of the path to enlightenment. If this is the case...Buddhism may just be what I have been looking for. I have a lot more to learn and a lot more to process.
    Thanks for your help.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    :thumbsup: