Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tranquilize the bodily formation.. the forgotten step?

shanyinshanyin Novice YoginSault Ontario Veteran
edited May 2010 in Meditation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY77In3ZYGI&feature=related

Here Bhante Vimalaramsi points out that Buddha never seemed to use the words abdomen, nostril tip, or upper lip, that these came from commentaries and that nobody seems to be using the step of 'tranquilizing the bodily formation'.

Vimalaramsi describes tranquilizing the bodily formation as recognizing and letting go of craving, manifested as tension or tightness in the head.

Has anyone else noticed that the Buddha never used the those terms (upper lip, abdomen, nostril tip.)? Does anyone else just use the method taught in the suttras which seems to be more of "understanding" what the breath is doing (long, short, etc.) And the tranquilizing the bodily formation is often not talked about?

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited April 2010
    shanyin wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY77In3ZYGI&feature=related

Here Bhante Vimalaramsi points out that Buddha never seemed to use the words abdomen, nostril tip, or upper lip, that these came from commentaries and that nobody seems to be using the step of 'tranquilizing the bodily formation'.

Vimalaramsi describes tranquilizing the bodily formation as recognizing and letting go of craving, manifested as tension or tightness in the head.
    hello Shanyin

my suggestion is to avoid getting caught up in the words used because theoretically what bhante has said is incorrect but what he has practically said is correct

true, the buddha did not use the words abdomen, nostril tip or upper lip but he did not use the word "bodily formation" either

the buddha used the word "body conditioner" (kaya sankhara), which is the breath

the buddha said 'tranquilizing the breath'.

however, if Bhante taught his students to tranquilize the breath, due to their lack of subtle skill, they would be straining their minds & not relaxing or letting go of craving

Bhante has taught here with skilful means, namely, tranquilise the body by letting go of craving and the tension & tightness in the head
    Does anyone else just use the method taught in the suttras which seems to be more of "understanding" what the breath is doing (long, short, etc.) And the tranquilizing the bodily formation is often not talked about?

the buddha taught four things associated with the breath, namely:

1. understanding what the breath is doing - when it is long

2. understanding what the breath is doing - when it is short

3. experiencing how the breath conditions or effects the body [see footnote]

4. tranquilising the breath

to end, i have explained to you exactly what the buddha taught but now this may be more complicated

my recommendation is to simply listen to Bhante Vimalaramsi & try practise what he is instructing

kind regards

dd

:)
    edited April 2010
    Footnote: when the breath is long, smooth & refined, the body becomes relaxed & comfortable - when the breath is short, rough & agitated, the body becomes tense & uncomfortable - the buddha called this experiencing "sabba kaya" - sabba means "all" and kaya means "bodies" - in the sutta, the buddha says "the breath is a body (kaya) amongst bodies (kaya)"
    passambhayaṃ kāyasaṅkhāraṃ assasissāmī’ti sikkhati

'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication B]fabricator[/B.'

Kāyesu kāyaññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ – assāsapassāsā.

I tell you, monks, that this — the in-&-out breath — is classed as a body among bodies

Anapanasati Sutta

Assāsapassāsā kho, āvuso visākha, kāyasaṅkhāro,

In-&-out breaths are bodily fabrications B]fabricator[/B.

Culavedalla Sutta
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited April 2010
    I have a slow connection so the video is still loading, but I have to say I found it amazing when I read someone was actually adressing this major issue I have while meditating, of tension in my head. I'll be watching this video with interest, even if I don't practice mindfulness-of-breathing meditation per-se.
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    my recommendation is to simply listen to Bhante Vimalaramsi & try practise what he is instructing

Yep. I have found that his instructions "to let go, relax and continue" is helpful in practice. It has helped me deal with building up pressure around my eyes while meditating. But other that there isn't much more he says really :D
  • edited May 2010
    Dharma Dhathu
    I disagree with you - You SHOULD listen to what the buddha said -Exactly! Kaya Sankhara is translated as Bodily Formation. I don't know where you get "Conditioner". Bhikkhu Bodhi changed most of references in the Majjhima Nikaya from "Body of Breath" which is wrong to just body in later editions. He says it was his teachers desire to put that in but he agrees that it is not right to just "Tranquilize the Breath" but rather RELAX the entire body as the Sutta says. No other teachers actually really stress this yet it is there. This IS an active meditation in the sense you are actively Relaxing Tensions in your body-especially in your head. When you add this relax step it Turbo Charges your practice as others have found. Please just try it - I didn't believe it until I tried it and wow - I got calm fast. Here is another Youtube where he explains this process.

Youtube Relax Step by Bhante Vimalaramsi
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Yep I'm starting to really like this Bhante Vimalaramsi's teaching. The only thing that is radically different and hard for me to understand is his alternative to focusing on a part of your body in which you frequently feel the breath. But rather "understanding" what the breath is doing. I do not know how to do that and it might be very difficult for me as I have never practiced that method. But I think his "6 r" method is very good.

Good luck... Aaron.
    edited May 2010
    Begintosee wrote: »
    Dharma Dhathu
    I disagree with you - You SHOULD listen to what the buddha said -Exactly!
    Dear Notseeingatall

Your statement is not only BOLD but incorrect. Please take care with your karma. You are referring to what the translator said rather than what the Buddha said.

The body conditioner or fabricator is the breath. It is stated in MN 44, as I quoted. You need to read what the Buddha said. I will repeat for you.

Assāsapassāsā kho, āvuso visākha, kāyasaṅkhāro,

In-&-out breaths are kaya sankhara - bodily fabrications [bodily fabricator].

Culavedalla Sutta

Similarly, the vaci sankhara is not the verbal fabrication but the verbal fabricator. I will quote for you.
    Having first directed one's thoughts and made an evaluation, one then breaks out into speech. That's why directed thought & evaluation are verbal fabricators.

Culavedalla Sutta

If you cannot follow the above logic of cause & effect (iddappaccayata) then understanding Buddhism will be tough for you.

Best wishes

edited May 2010
    Dharma Dhathu
    I disagree with you - You SHOULD listen to what the buddha said -Exactly!
    Dear Notseeingatall

I will now post a series of questions for you, that are posted elsewhere.

The sutta (MN 44) also states perception & feeling are the mental formation (citta sankhara), along with the kaya sankhara (body formation) and the vaci sankhara (verbal formation).

This seems a little strange because the Buddha did not say perception & feeling are karma.

The body can perform karma, speech can perform karma & the mind can perform karma but perception & feeling cannot perform karma nor are they karma.

For example, intention is karma, craving is karma, thought is karma but not perception & feeling.

Also, feeling is an aggregate unto itself & perception is an aggegate unto itself. Also, citta or sankhara khanda is an aggregate unto itself.

For example, in satipatthana, vedananupassana and cittanupassana are two distinct things, described as follows:
    "And how does a monk remain focused on feelings (vedana) in & of themselves? There is the case where a monk, when feeling a painful feeling, discerns that he is feeling a painful feeling. When feeling a pleasant feeling, he discerns that he is feeling a pleasant feeling. When feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling, he discerns that he is feeling a neither-painful-nor-pleasant feeling.

"And how does a monk remain focused on the mind (citta) in & of itself? There is the case where a monk, when the mind has passion, discerns that the mind has passion. When the mind is without passion, he discerns that the mind is without passion. When the mind has aversion, he discerns that the mind has aversion. When the mind is without aversion, he discerns that the mind is without aversion. When the mind has delusion, he discerns that the mind has delusion. When the mind is without delusion, he discerns that the mind is without delusion.

My questions.

In the quotes above & the quotes below, which do you regard as the mental formation?

Perception & feeling or passion, aversion & delusion?

Perception & feeling or the thinking & complication?

Perception & feeling or the delight, clinging & infatuation?

Which are the causes & which are the effects?

Which is the fabricator or conditioner and which is the resultant fabrication or condition?

:confused:
    "Dependent on eye & forms, eye-consciousness arises. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition, there is feeling. What one feels, one perceives (labels in the mind). What one perceives, one thinks about. What one thinks about, one complicates. Based on what a person complicates, the perceptions & categories of complication assail him/her with regard to past, present, & future forms cognizable via the eye.

The Blessed One said: "Not knowing, not seeing the eye as it actually is present; not knowing, not seeing forms... consciousness at the eye... contact at the eye as they actually are present; not knowing, not seeing whatever arises conditioned through contact at the eye — experienced as pleasure, pain, or neither-pleasure-nor-pain — as it actually is present, one is infatuated with the eye... forms... consciousness at the eye... contact at the eye... whatever arises conditioned by contact at the eye and is experienced as pleasure, pain, or neither-pleasure-nor-pain.

"For him — infatuated, attached, confused, not remaining focused on their [feeling's] drawbacks — the five clinging-aggregates head toward future accumulation. The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now this & now that — grows within him. His bodily disturbances & mental disturbances grow. His bodily torments & mental torments grow. His bodily distresses & mental distresses grow. He is sensitive both to bodily stress & mental stress.

“On seeing a form with the eye, he lusts after it if it is pleasing; he dislikes it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body unestablished, with a limited mind, and he does not understand as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Engaged as he is in favoring and opposing, whatever he feels he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it, and remains holding to it. As he does so, delight arises in him. Now delight in feelings is clinging. With his clinging as condition, being [comes to be]; with being as condition, birth; with birth as condition ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair come to be. Such is the origin of this whole mass of suffering.

:smilec:
    edited May 2010
    Bhikkhu Bodhi changed most of references in the Majjhima Nikaya from "Body of Breath" which is wrong to just body in later editions.
    Bhikkhu Bodhi is both wrong & clueless.

Bhikkhu Bodhi is a renowned scholar but not a renowned meditation master.

I already quoted the Buddha from the Pali but you are not listening.

The Buddha said the breathing in & out is a body amongst bodies.
    Kāyesu kāyaññatarāhaṃ, bhikkhave, evaṃ vadāmi yadidaṃ – assāsapassāsā.

I tell you, monks, that this — the in-&-out breath — is classed as a body among bodies

Anapanasati Sutta
    The Buddha used the term "sabbakaya". Sabba means "all", as in the phrases "sabbe dhamma anatta" "all things are not-self" and "sabbe satta sukhita hontu" - "may all beings be happy".

Sabba does not mean "whole".

The Buddha said "experiencing all bodies", which means experience the breath and the physical body together and the cause & effect of how they interrelate with eachother.
    RELAX the entire body as the Sutta says. This IS an active meditation in the sense you are actively Relaxing Tensions in your body-especially in your head. When you add this relax step it Turbo Charges your practice as others have found.
    Your mind is brainwashed. :eek2:

It is not possible to relax the body directly.

One relaxes the mind which in turn relaxes the breath which in turn relaxes the body.

The body is just physical matter. It is the quality of the mental formations and the breath formations in the body that cause it to be stressed and conversely relaxed.

Compare it to a balloon. The balloon is just physical matter but it is the amount of air in the balloon that causes the balloon to be either stressed or relaxed.
    Please just try it - I didn't believe it until I tried it and wow - I got calm fast.
    :lol:

Where did I criticise the method?

I originally said the theory is incorrect but the practise is correct.

Your mind (not "I") may have got calm fast but it is not seeing clearly.

If you can free your mind of craving (and forget about the body), it will be TURBO CHARGER MACH II

edited May 2010
    he agrees that it is not right to just "Tranquilize the Breath" but rather RELAX the entire body as the Sutta says.
    Dear Notseeingatall

The sutta does not say this.

However, regarding reality, when the breath relaxes the body relaxes.

One cannot relax the breath without relaxing the body. How silly?

The two are interrelated. It is like saying one can stop breathing but continue to live.

Tell me. Where in the following quote does the Buddha say to relax the body?
    "There are, monk, these six quietenings. In him who has attained the first absorption, speech is quietened. Having attained the second absorption, thought-conception and discursive thinking are quietened. Having attained the third absorption, rapture is quietened. Having attained the fourth absorption, inhalation and exhalation is quietened. Having attained the cessation of perception and feeling, perception and feeling are quietened. In a taint-free monk greed is quietened, hatred is quietened, delusion is quietened."

Rahogata Sutta

Bhante Vimalaramsi is aiming to have the listener relax their mind, to free it from craving.

So he offers a broader object rather than a narrow object.

Can't you see?

His means is skilful but his theory is all wrong (like your post David at Dhammasukha.org).

edited May 2010
    You SHOULD listen to what the buddha said -Exactly!
    Exactly what the Buddha said is as follows:
    "Now how is mindfulness with in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit?

"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect and setting mindfulness to the fore.
    ...folding his legs crosswise, setting his body erect and setting mindfulness to the fore.

Abandoning covetousness for the world he abides with a mind free from covetousness; he purifies his mind from covetousness.

Abandoning ill-will and hatred, he abides with a mind free from ill-will, compassionate for the welfare of all living beings; he purifies his mind from ill-will and hatred.

Abandoning sloth and torpor, he abides free from sloth and torpor, percipient of light, mindful and fully aware; he purifies his mind from sloth and torpor.

Abandoning restlessness and remorse, he abides unagitated with a mind inwardly peaceful; he purifies his mind from restlessness and remorse.

Abandoning doubt, he abides having gone beyond doubt, unperplexed about wholesome states; he purifies his mind of doubt.

Having thus abandoned these five hindrances, imperfections of the mind that weaken wisdom, quite secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, he enters upon and abides in the first jhāna, which is accompanied by thinking and examining thought, with joy and happiness born of seclusion.

With the stilling of thinking and examining thought, he enters and abides in the second jhāna which has self-confidence and stillness of mind without thinking and examining thought, with joy and happiness born of collectedness.

With the fading away as well of joy a bhikkhu abides in equanimity, and mindful and fully aware, still feeling pleasure with the body, he enters and abides in the third jhāna, on account of which noble ones announce: ‘He has a pleasant abiding who has equanimity and is mindful.'

With the abandoning of pleasure and pain, and with the previous disappearance of joy and grief, a bhikkhu enters and abides in the fourth jhāna, which has neither -pain-nor-pleasure and purity of mindfulness due to equanimity.
  • edited May 2010
    Hi Dhamma Dhatu
    I am mind boggled that you dismiss Bhikkhu Bodhi and say that he can't translate and is clueless and we should listen to the words of the Buddha. Unfortunately the Buddha is not here but the Suttas are here and Bhikkhu Bodhi is an excellent translator of Pali and I don't think there is anyone better. If there is I would suspect he would want to know so he can train with him. I do understand you are very versed in Pali and would ask a little patience in this explanation.

I think we are really talking about the same thing -Its just that you are translating this differently. My teacher - Not Guru please. is a MahaThera monk who has meditated with all of the great burmese masters and was told they had nothing left to teach him and that he had attained what ever there was to attain (Nibbana). He said "No, that wasn't it" so he went back to the Suttas and has come up with this new interpretation of the teachings. Now -he himself is actually working with several Pitakachariya expert monks a new translation of the Majjhima Nikaya. While he thinks BB is a good translator he believes he is translating based on the commentaries and Bhante V says to throw out the Vissuhdi Magga and only use the Suttas. The Jhanas are real but they are different than what is taught in Burma and basically everywhere else. They are a Tranquil Wisdom Jhana or Sama dhi Tranquil Wisdom jhana and you are aware of your body in this space. They have the same characteristics as the absorption jhanas but don't take 10 years to achieve -in fact they can be done fairly quickly and my self and others have verified this to be correct .

So I don't really need to go back and re-read the sutta and try to re-translate it as it does make sense in the way that Bhante Vimalaramsi is now teaching it. It works! All 8 jhanas are attainable just as described in the book. In fact the Buddha actually said the teachings were "Immediately Effective" . That doesn't mean 10 years of practice but he said in as little as 7 days you can experience them and people do have this result.

I do understand that this is not in accordance with most teachers out there - I am ex-Vipassana of 20 yrs or so and did many retreats including 3 mo retreats- so yes I understand how someone would think this is crazy and doesn't make sense and it took me 3 months of doubt and asking questions of Bhante to even try it. But I did and it works as he describes.

Much metta
    David
    I am still waiting for your reply on the relaxing body thread.

Buddha said:

passambhayaṃ [relaxing]kāyasaṅkhāraṃ assasissāmī’ti sikkhati (MN 118)

Assāsapassāsā kho kāyasaṅkhāro - breathing in & out is the kāyasaṅkhāro (MN 44)

run this by your guru

• edited May 2010
    The body can perform karma, speech can perform karma & the mind can perform karma but perception & feeling cannot perform karma nor are they karma.
    Perception & Feeling arise from the mind that resulted in correct and incorrect speeches and actions of worldly desire and attachment. Therefore, in this regard is still performing karma.:)
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Here is another Youtube where he explains this process.

Youtube Relax Step by Bhante Vimalaramsi

Discussion aside, I'd like to hear more about the body producing a reaction with each thought that arises in the mind. Are there any videos where he discusses this further?
  • edited May 2010
    Hi
    Bhante does discuss the idea of tension manifesting with each thought in most other talks.

He explains this as part of the Dependent Origination Process

The important links of the 12 are as follows which he shows as the key to the thoughts:

Feeling: You experience a feeling -either pleasant or unpleasant or neutral with that sight, thought , etc
    Craving: Then based on the feeling Craving arises in the form of "I Like it! or I don't like it"
    Clinging: Then the mind starts the story about why you like it or dislike it. "I really like Ice Cream because I my folks used to give it to me when I did something good - and so on
    Habitual Tendencies: What you do when you have this type of thought process--go get ice cream , or tell people about your favorite place to get it
    Birth: You then go to the ice cream shop
    Sorrow, Lamentation, Grief, Despair: You have the ice cream and its all gone... Or you spilled it on your shirt
    Death: End of this process

So the tension arises at the CRAVING link. The mind leaps out at the object and you take this as a personal process. Actually its just tension or tightness conditioned from the past. But this is the beginning of this thought process and it is constantly happening all day long as you like or dislike objects that arise.

The key is Let go and relax the tension and tightness surrounding that Feeling or thought that you might have arise.

For example Depression is a very strong Feeling that arises BUT there is the next step where you (Likely) Don't like that feeling and have all these stories about why your are depressed.

The key is to let go at Craving and then the rest of the links do not arise and this is the end of Samsara as the Buddha taught it. You must let go of the tension -thoughts. At first you see the thoughts -after awhile you only see the tension and you let that go.

Here is a link to a dependent origination 5min fun video where Bhante explains this process. Youtube on Dependent Origination

Metta

David
    edited May 2010
    Wilfred wrote: »
    Perception & Feeling arise from the mind that resulted in correct and incorrect speeches and actions of worldly desire and attachment. Therefore, in this regard is still performing karma.:)
    Sorry, it does not.

edited May 2010
    I do understand that this is not in accordance with most teachers out there - I am ex-Vipassana of 20 yrs or so and did many retreats including 3 mo retreats- so yes I understand how someone would think this is crazy and doesn't make sense and it took me 3 months of doubt and asking questions of Bhante to even try it. But I did and it works as he describes.
    The "vipassana" here is contrary to the Buddha.

Vipassana is not a technique, as taught by the so-called "Burmese masters".

Vipassana is the natural arising of insight, just like the mind naturally sees the moving (impermanence) of a tree branch moving in the wind.

The technique is right mindfulness & right concentration, placing the mind in a condition that promotes the natural arising of insight (vipassana).

Vipassana is not a technique.

The so-called Burmese masters have not right to misappropriate this word and use it to label their clumsy & rigid techniques.
    edited May 2010
    Here is a link to a dependent origination 5min fun video where Bhante explains this process. Youtube on Dependent Origination
    Why does this video include a superstitious diagram of Dependent Origination, which states "past causes", "present effects", "present causes", "future effects"?

:confused:
    edited May 2010
    In actuality, the "I" arises after craving. Craving does not arise from the "I".

"Tightening up" is attachment.

Pain comes at aging & death.

"'The six classes of craving should be known.' Thus was it said. In reference to what was it said? Dependent on the eye & forms there arises consciousness at the eye. The meeting of the three is contact. With contact as a requisite condition there is feeling. With feeling as a requisite condition there is craving.

If anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self,' that wouldn't be tenable. The arising & falling away of craving are discerned. And when its arising & falling away are discerned, it would follow that 'My self arises & falls away.' That's why it wouldn't be tenable if anyone were to say, 'Craving is the self.'

MN 148

"'Self-identification, self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

"There are these five aggregates affected by clinging: form as an aggregate affected by clinging, feeling as an aggregate affected by clinging, perception as an aggregate affected by clinging, fabrications an aggregate affected by clinging, consciousness as an aggregate affected by clinging. These are the self-identification described by the Blessed One."

"'The origination of self-identification, the origination of self-identification,' it is said, lady. Which origination of self-identification is described by the Blessed One?"

"The craving that makes for further becoming — accompanied by passion & delight, relishing now here & now there — i.e., craving for sensual pleasure, craving for becoming, craving for non-becoming: This, friend Visakha, is the origination of self-identification described by the Blessed One."

MN 44
    There is the case where an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person — who has no regard for noble ones, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma; who has no regard for men of integrity, is not well-versed or disciplined in their Dhamma — assumes form to be the self.

That assumption is a fabrication.

Now what is the cause, what is the origination, what is the birth, what is the coming-into-existence of that fabrication?

To an uninstructed, run-of-the-mill person, touched by that which is felt born of contact with ignorance, craving arises. That fabrication is born of that.

And that fabrication is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen.

That craving... That feeling... That contact... That ignorance is inconstant, fabricated, dependently co-arisen.

SN SN 22.81

"Who, O Lord, craves?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One. "I do not say that 'he craves.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who craves?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of craving?' And to that the correct reply is: 'Feeling is the condition of craving, and craving is the condition of clinging.'"

SN 12.12

The "I" does not crave. Rather than the "I" is born of craving.

edited May 2010
    Discussion aside, I'd like to hear more about the body producing a reaction with each thought that arises in the mind.
    The body does not really produce a reaction.

The mind produces a reaction that flows into the body and can be felt in the body.

Reactions are mind produced rather than body produced.

Kind regards

edited May 2010
    Craving: Then based on the feeling Craving arises in the form of "I Like it! or I don't like it"
    Craving is an urge or energy. The "I" is not craving.

A gross craving is sexual craving. This arises due to psycho-biology rather than due to the "I".
    Clinging: Then the mind starts the story about why you like it or dislike it.
    Clinging is either infatuation or the thing pertaining to "self". Clinging is the small "I", the first "I".

The story is becoming (bhava). The habitual tendency is becoming.
    Birth: You then go to the ice cream shop
    Indeed. Birth is karma. Birth is the "ice cream lover" or "hungry ghost" being born. Birth is acquiring the object.
    Subject to birth are these acquisitions, and one who is tied to them, infatuated with them, who has totally fallen for them, being subject to birth, seeks what is likewise subject to birth.

MN 26
    "What is birth? It is the birth of beings in the various classes (planes) of beings; the production, their conception, coming into existence (re-birth), the appearance of the aggregates, acquiring of the sense-bases.
    Sorrow, Lamentation, Grief, Despair: You have the ice cream and its all gone... Or you spilled it on your shirt
    Death: End of this process
    Death comes before sorrow, lamentation, grief, despair. The ice-cream is eaten quickly, it is gone and one has no money. One wishes more but cannot obtain more. This is death & from death comes sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, despair.
    So the tension arises at the CRAVING link.
    An urge arises at the CRAVING link.

The tension arises at the ATTACHMENT link. In the First Noble Truth, the Buddha said "attachment to the five aggregates is dukkha".

The Buddha did not say craving is dukkha.
    ...whatever he feels he feels - whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant - he delights in that feeling, welcomes it and remains holding to it. As he does so, delight arises in him. Now delight in feelings is clinging.

MN 38
    The mind leaps out at the object and you take this as a personal process.
    The mind starts to leap out at craving. The personal process begins at attachment, develops at becoming and reaches maturity at birth.

It can be compared to having a baby. The lust is craving. The sexual intercourse is attachment. The pregnancy is becoming. And the birth is birth.
    "If a monk abandons passion for the property of consciousness, then owing to the abandonment of passion, the support is cut off, and there is no landing of consciousness. Consciousness, thus not having landed, not increasing, not concocting, is released. Owing to its release, it is steady. Owing to its steadiness, it is contented. Owing to its contentment, it is not agitated.

SN 22.53
    Actually its just tension or tightness conditioned from the past.
    It has nothing to do with the past. It occurs in the present.
    But this is the beginning of this thought process and it is constantly happening all day long as you like or dislike objects that arise.
    OK.
    The key is Let go and relax the tension and tightness surrounding that Feeling or thought that you might have arise.
    The first key is to prevent the occuring of that tightness via mindfulness & clear comprehension at sense contact.

The second key is to let it go if it has not been prevented via mindfulness & clear comprehension.

“On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder.

Having thus abandoned favoring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant, painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering.

MN 38
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Again Bhante V is teaching contrary to the Buddha.

Bhante V states craving is "I like that".

Worse, he states craving = "tightening up".

He describes the craving as "I like that mind". And tightening up in the head is a physical manifestation of craving.
    edited May 2010
    Craving is drive or urge. For example, the mind sees some chocolate on a table and there is the urge to take a piece. This urge or salivation is craving.

Then the mind focuses intently upon the chocolate, fixated upon it. This fixation or tightening is attachment. The obsession & holding on is attachment, fueled by craving.

Or there is a "tightening" in-between, which is will or intention born of thought. This is intention.

But as soon as the "I" arises, that "I" is attachment. The "I" is not craving. The "I" does not crave.

When the mind thinks "I want it", "I like it", attachment has already occurred.

So when Bhante states: "tightening up in the head is a physical manifestation of craving"...sure...there is craving there. There is always craving in attachment. The tightening is fueled by craving but the tightening itself is attachment.

Dependent origination is depicted artistically as the Wheel Of Life.

Craving is thirst. Attachment is grasping tightly on the object, not letting it go.

In the quote below, the Buddha did not invoke the "I" until becoming.
    "Who, O Lord, has a sense-impression?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One. "I do not say that 'he has a sense-impression.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who has a sense-impression?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of sense-impression?' And to that the correct reply is: 'The sixfold sense-base is a condition of sense-impression, and sense-impression is the condition of feeling.'"

"Who, O Lord, feels?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One. "I do not say that 'he feels.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who feels?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of feeling?' And to that the correct reply is: 'sense-impression is the condition of feeling; and feeling is the condition of craving.'"

"Who, O Lord, craves?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One. "I do not say that 'he craves.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who craves?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of craving?' And to that the correct reply is: 'Feeling is the condition of craving, and craving is the condition of clinging.'"

"Who, O Lord, clings?"

"The question is not correct," said the Exalted One, "I do not say that 'he clings.' Had I said so, then the question 'Who clings?' would be appropriate. But since I did not speak thus, the correct way to ask the question will be 'What is the condition of clinging?' And to that the correct reply is: 'Craving is the condition of clinging; and clinging is the condition of the process of becoming.' Such is the origin of this entire mass of suffering.

Phagguna Sutta
    edited May 2010
    11mdkr5.jpg
    edited May 2010
    244xt9x.jpg
    From bottom to top: (1) craving or thirst; (2) attachment or tight grasping; and (3) becoming.
  • edited May 2010
    Sorry, it does not.

Is there a perception or feeling:lol:

Food for thought on meditation in general:)
    Hi Learned Audience, to practice the 'Samadhi of Specific Mode' is to make it a rule to be straightforward on all occasions - no matter whether we are walking, standing, sitting or reclining. The Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra says, "Straightforwardness is the holy place, the Pure Land." Don't let your mind be crooked and practice straightforwardness with your lips only. We should practice straightforwardness and should not attach ourselves to anything.

People under delusion believe obstinately in Dharmalaksana (things and form) and so they are stubborn in having their own way of interpreting the 'Samadhi of Specific Mode', which they define as 'sitting quietly and continuously without letting any idea arise in the mind'. Such an interpretation would rank us with inanimate objects, and is a stumbling block to the right Path which must be kept open. Should we free our mind from attachment to all 'things', the Path becomes clear; otherwise, we put

ourselves under restraint. If that interpretation 'sitting quietly and continuously, etc.' be correct, why on one occasion was Sariputra reprimanded by Vimalakirti for sitting quietly in the wood? Learned Audience, some teachers of meditation instruct their disciples to keep a watch on their mind for tranquility, so that it will cease from activity.

Henceforth the disciples give up all exertion of mind. Ignorant persons become insane from having too much confidence in such instruction. Such cases are not rare, and it is a great mistake to teach others to do this.
    edited May 2010
    Wilfred wrote: »
    Is there a perception or feeling:lol:

Food for thought on meditation in general:)
    Of course there is perception & feeling.

Your mind appears to not understand exactly what these things are.
    "And why do you call it 'feeling'? Because it feels, thus it is called 'feeling.' What does it feel? It feels pleasure, it feels pain, it feels neither-pleasure-nor-pain. Because it feels, it is called feeling.

"And why do you call it 'perception'? Because it perceives, thus it is called 'perception.' What does it perceive? It perceives blue, it perceives yellow, it perceives red, it perceives white. Because it perceives, it is called perception.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn22/sn22.079.than.html

When food taste sweet or pleasant, that is feeling. When there is food poisoning and acute abdomenal pain, that pain is feeling.

When you ask: "Please pass the salt", there is perception.

When your mind read words or sutra, there is perception.

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    I am mind boggled that you dismiss Bhikkhu Bodhi and say that he can't translate and is clueless and we should listen to the words of the Buddha.

Well I am not, considering the fact that Bhikku Bodhi is interpreting birth in the DO as birth from a mother's womb and kamma of this life will ripen in the next life etc
  • edited May 2010
    Deshy
    Where do you see that? Check MN38 where Dependent Origination is translated as the mental process which occurs which is 12 links long. Physical Birth and death are NOT Dependent Origination. D.O. can happen many times a second.

In fact the Buddha only said there was "rebirth". Which means on a moment by moment basis. Physical death is just an even but not D.O. as the buddha explained. In the meditation Bhante V is asking the meditator to try to see this on a moment by moment basis only.

Metta

David
    Deshy wrote: »
    Well I am not, considering the fact that Bhikku Bodhi is interpreting birth in the DO as birth from a mother's womb and kamma of this life will ripen in the next life etc
    edited May 2010
    Bhikkhu Bodhi states the following in his introduction to the Majjhima Nikaya:

11rzl29.jpg
    25z5sf7.jpg
    edited May 2010
    More Bhikkhu Bodhi:
    To clarify the working of the twelve factors the Buddha explains them as distributed over three successive lives. They can be applied to any three lives in sequence.

If we take the main portion from consciousness through existence (No 3 -10) as applying to the present life, the first two factors pertain to the past life, to the immediately preceding life, and the last two factors, birth, and ageing, and death, represent the next life, our future existence.

The Buddha explains that our present life is the result of our past life. We have come into being on account of our own ignorance and volitions in the past. Thereafter in this present life, through our craving and attachment, through our actions or karma, we set rolling the forces that bring about a new existence in the future, new birth followed by ageing and death, thus the process of becoming is repeated over and over again.

http://www.beyondthenet.net/dhamma/presentLife.htm
    One’s practice should also be grounded in right view, which involves other ideas that are also being disparaged in Western Buddhism: for example, the fact of rebirth; the acceptance of kamma or volitional action as the force that determines our modes of rebirth; the understanding of dependent origination as describing the causal structure of the round of rebirths.

http://www.dharma.org/ij/archives/2002b/bhikkhu_bodhi.htm
    The suffering with which the Buddha's teaching is concerned has a far deeper meaning than personal unhappiness, discontent, or psychological stress. It includes these, but it goes beyond. The problem in its fullest measure is existential suffering, the suffering of bondage to the round of repeated birth and death.

http://www.hundredmountain.com/Pages/readingroom_pages/oct01_dependent.html
  • edited May 2010
    DD
    Thank you for pointing out this error on BB's part.:eek: Now I realize Bhante V also explains that THIS idea of extending over 3 lifetimes is from the commentaries and has nothing to do with the Suttas. Bhikkhu Bodhi is still somewhat influenced by the commentarial work of BuddhaGhosa. That being said I would still go directly to the Suttas as translated by him for how D.O. works as 12 links as explained in the MN38 Sutta on D.O.
    David

Bhikkhu Bodhi states the following in his introduction to the Majjhima Nikaya:

11rzl29.jpg
    25z5sf7.jpg
  • DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited May 2010
    Deshy
    Where do you see that? Check MN38 where Dependent Origination is translated as the mental process which occurs which is 12 links long. Physical Birth and death are NOT Dependent Origination. D.O. can happen many times a second.

In fact the Buddha only said there was "rebirth". Which means on a moment by moment basis. Physical death is just an even but not D.O. as the buddha explained. In the meditation Bhante V is asking the meditator to try to see this on a moment by moment basis only.

Metta

David

I was not talking about the Buddha, I was talking about Bhikku Bodhi. Did you read my comment before answering it :p
    edited May 2010
    Right concentration from the suttas:
    And what bhikkhus is the faculty of concentration? Here, the noble disciple gains concentration, gains one-pointedness of mind, having made release (vossagga) the object. This is called the faculty of concentration.

SN 48.9
    There is the case where a monk develops concentration as a factor for awakening dependent on seclusion (viveka), dependent on dispassion (viraga), dependent on cessation (nirodha), resulting in relinquishment (vossagga).

MN 118
    Vossagga [=ossagga; ava+sṛj] relinquishing, relaxation; handing over, donation, gift

Vossagga, tossing back, relinquishment: the natural giving away by the liberated mind

• edited May 2010
    Deshy
    Yes in a comment to DD I did say that I believe Bhikkhu Bodhi to be wrong about D.O. extending over 3 lifetimes. However lets lay that aside and go to the Buddha's words as TRANSLATED by BB. Posting the commentary from Majjhima Nikaya may make the point that BB stated this fact but I am not interested BB opinion but the Buddha's words as translated by BB. Bhante Vimalaramsi has had several discussions with BB and they agree to disagree on some areas of the teachings. BB is following the usual commentarial Burmese understanding.
    Deshy wrote: »
    I was not talking about the Buddha, I was talking about Bhikku Bodhi. Did you read my comment before answering it :p