Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Differences/similarities between Tibetan, Japanese, Chinese Buddhism?

edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Dear more enlightened forum members--I was wondering if someone could help me understand the key distinctions between Chinese, Japanese, and Tibetan buddhism (key practices, timeline, and distinct beliefs?) I'm actually quite curious, because I'm a borne-buddhist, who hasn't really looked beyond the Buddhism beliefs that I was raised with (largely a blend probably of Chinese culture and Buddhism.) Any help would be great!

Thank you so much!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2010
    That's a lot to ask....
    To be honest, I think it easier to be able to answer questions about different Schools and Traditions of Buddhism, rather than to provide information on cultural, social and historical differences.

We probably know as much as you do, and would have to research such matters in depth, if only to try to provide you with answers.
    something you could probably do just as easily.
    I'm not trying to fob you off, but I think it's just what would happen.

Could I ask why this is important for you?
    Perhaps, as a life-long Buddhist, you're looking to see how Buddhism is practised elsewhere?
    Could you expand on the nature and reasons for your curiosity?

It would be interesting....
  • ansannaansanna Veteran
    edited May 2010
    the 3 are common are all Mahayana Buddhism

the Tibetan Buddhism teaches both esoteric and exoteric Buddhism, but focus mainly on esoteric Buddhism
    the Japanese Buddhism has all the 8 schools still extant, has both esoteric and exoteric Buddhism , it has evoded further to suit their culture
    the Chinese Buddhism left only exoteric Buddhism, lost all the major schools - left only the pure land and Chan schools ( or mostly in practice the combination of both pure land and Chan for the monastic people )
  • lightwithinlightwithin Veteran
    edited May 2010
    There is a wealth of information online and a couple well placed search terms through Google would do you a lot of good if you're trying to find out what each tradition is about. That's what I've been doing since I became interested in Buddhism. Good luck in your research.
  • edited May 2010
    Thanks to everyone's replies--

Ansanna, thanks for your reply, I'm going to do a bit of digging on the details behind eso and exoteric--I would have thought that the dividing influence was the major schools first, but this is very interesting!

Federica, I am curious as to the answer to this question because my acquaintances, upon finding out I am a Buddhist, have asked me, and I have very little idea.

I have, of course, tried googling, and the first 5 pages of my query turned up very little in terms of direct comparison (the way that, for example, there is plenty of material on the differences and commonalities between Methodist, Episcopalian, Baptist, Catholic, etc.) There's plenty on the origins of Buddhism, on the difference between the Theravada and Mahayana schools of Buddhism, on some of the beliefs (incomplete as they may be) for each of the major Asian schools, but less on the differences between the variations as they traveled through East Asia. What I have heard is from the monks at my temple, but I wonder if they are also limited in their viewpoint. Perhaps there simply hasn't been much discussion on the web or I am not looking in the right places (further reinforced by lightwithin's suggestion.)
  • edited September 2010
    Most Chinese, Japanese and Tibetan Buddhism is derived from the Mahayana school as opposed to the Theravada school. Mahayana means 'great vehicle'. Theravada means 'way of the elders'. Most Japanese and Chinese Buddhism beliefs are Zen (Japanese) or Ch'an (Chinese). Tibetan Buddhism is heavily influenced by its pre-Buddhist religion of Bon.

Buddhism first came to China in the first century AD. In 520 AD the monk Bodhidharma brought Zen (Zen Buddhism) to China. The Soto and the Rinzai are the two main Zen schools of Buddhism in Japan. The Soto school was brought to Japan by Dogen Zenji. He was born in 1200 AD. The Rinzai school of Buddhism was founded by Rinzai Gigen. He died in 866 AD.

The Tibetan Bon religion is the pre-Buddhist religion of the Tibetan people. Bon is an ancient religion composed of shamanistic beliefs, and secretive rituals for the initiates only. These various rituals include exorcisms and incantations of spells. Bon beliefs include gods, good spirits, evil spirits, the use of amulets and charms, and other superstitious means. Bon has heavily influenced Tibetan Buddhism.

The 14th Dalai Lama has said, "Bon is Tibet's oldest spiritual tradition and, as the indigenous source of Tibetan culture, played a significant role in shaping Tibet's unique identity. Consequently, I have often stressed the importance of preserving this tradition.”

There are many differences between the various schools of Buddhism. Zen Buddhism uses koans. This is one of my favorite Zen Koans.
    The Muddy Road

Tanzan and Ekido were once travelling together down a muddy road. A heavy rain was still falling.
    Coming around a bend, they met a lovely girl in a silk kimono and sash, unable to cross the intersection.
    "Come on, girl," said Tanzan at once. Lifting her in his arms, he carried her over the mud.
    Ekido did not speak again until that night when they reached a lodging temple. Then he no longer could restrain himself. "We monks don't go near females," he told Tanzan, "especially not young and lovely ones. It is dangerous. Why did you do that?"
    "I left the girl there," said Tanzan. "Are you still carrying her?"

By the way Theravadan Buddhism basically follows Shakyamuni Buddha's teachings as close as possible which means very little superstition and regards Shakyamuni as a man. Mahayana Buddhism has taken on various aspects depending culture of origin. Mahayana often if not always regards the Buddha as a God or at least supernatural in many ways.

:)