Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Time for me to read another Buddhist book

shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
edited June 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Greetings to you all!

I want to do some Buddhist reading again. Does anyone know of a book that:

1. You really liked.
2. Is slightly (but not too much) above Beginner level.
3. Suitable for a sceptical Western reader.
4. Emphasizes every day life over big metaphysical questions.

I myself am a big fan of Pema Chodron's books. "The Wisdom of no Escape", "No Time to Loose" and "When Things Fall Apart" have been very helpful to me.

Thank you very much!

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Joyful Wisdom by Yongey Mingur Rinpoche.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Ajahn Chah books. Pick them up pretty cheap from Amazon, and you will have a nice surprise in your mailbox in 1 week :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2010
    Greetings to you all!

I want to do some Buddhist reading again. Does anyone know of a book that:

1. You really liked.
    2. Is slightly (but not too much) above Beginner level.
    3. Suitable for a sceptical Western reader.
    4. Emphasizes every day life over big metaphysical questions.

I myself am a big fan of Pema Chodron's books. "The Wisdom of no Escape", "No Time to Loose" and "When Things Fall Apart" have been very helpful to me.

Thank you very much!

Three that really had an impact on me were the "Awakening Trilogy" by Lama Surya Das.

AWAKENING THE BUDDHA WITHIN: Eight Steps to Enlightenment
    AWAKENING TO THE SACRED: Building a Spiritual Life from Scratch
    AWAKENING THE BUDDHIST HEART
    : Integrating Love, Meaning and Connection into Every Part of Your Life.

They're written in an enjoyable, easily-digestible way, with anecdotes and lighthearted dialogue.
    I enjoyed them, and were what I needed at the time.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thanks, folks! I'll consider your suggestions...
  • edited June 2010
    The Way of Zen by Alan Watts. Above all I would suggest not to think 'I don't follow Zen, so it wouldn't apply'.....the true Dharma is pointed to by many different words and ways of thinking. Zen isn't my first choice, hasn't been what I've practiced, but I have studied it and I would recommend it as a less text-based way toward seeing the true Dharma that stands without words.

Namaste
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited June 2010
    When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
  • edited June 2010
    I have been very happy with Lama Surya Das' books. Just received "Buddha is as Buddha does" today.

I'll definitely take a look at some of the other titles mentioned here as well.
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Javelin wrote: »
    The Way of Zen by Alan Watts.
    this was good at the time, but today there are plenty of proper western monks who wrote books about Buddhism.

Alan Watts is interesting if you study his personnal story but not proper Buddhism book.

The guy died an alcoholic... at least please put a warning if you are going to recommand his books.
  • edited June 2010
    We would be in for a loop of back and forth dukkha to begin thinking in such terms. I recommend the book for the contents, which despite what any other book may teach I have found to be quite clear and contain the essence of the heart of Zen as opposed to traditional approaches (which sustain themselves much as the Non-Self sustains its particular trends of thought). If we argue, we make it a personal contest of will; these support my view, these contest your view, etc.

Zen is more about what Zen is, and viewed without the attachments Zen is the same thing that all Buddhism is. It is a pointer, a guide, to seeing the true Dharma that exists beyond words and thought.

The only disclaimer, the only warning, should be on posts that digress into futile acts of self. It would be peaceful to simply acknowledge this and not wear out our welcome. Shall we lay down our arms, friend? :)

Namaste
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    The only disclaimer, the only warning, should be on posts that digress into futile acts of self. Let's not. :)
    i don't think so, if a book is likely to mislead people, based on the clues left by the fate of it's author, especially if the book is written in a very inspiring and engaging way, then I believe that a disclamer is simple common sence don't you think?
    We would be in for a loop of back and forth dukkha to begin thinking in such terms.
    Dukkha only come in the equation if we are attached and we identify with our views.
    Back and forth conversations can certainly take place on any subjects in a perfectly peaceful way.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »
    Ajahn Chah books. Pick them up pretty cheap from Amazon, and you will have a nice surprise in your mailbox in 1 week :)

Seconded. If you go here [very first section on the left] you can read many of his teachings to get an idea of his views and method of teaching before purchasing a book.
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Oooooo yes! Read Good Life Good Death by Gehlek Rimpoche. Easy read, not quite conversational, but sentences you want to write down and re-read over and over.

This is a book in the Tibetan tradition.
  • edited June 2010
    FoibleFull wrote: »
    Oooooo yes! Read Good Life Good Death by Gehlek Rimpoche. Easy read, not quite conversational, but sentences you want to write down and re-read over and over.

This is a book in the Tibetan tradition.

This is a good book by an excellent teacher.
  • edited June 2010
    patbb wrote: »

Food for the Heart is a really great book.
  • edited June 2010
    "proper western monks who wrote books about Buddhism.

Alan Watts is interesting if you study his personnal story but not proper Buddhism book.

The guy died an alcoholic... at least please put a warning if you are going to recommand his books"

What exactly is a proper Western monk anyway?
    That is such a shame about him dying of alcoholism. I guess we can all fall from grace and are human. In context his teachings may have been very illuminating for the period relevant to his writing. Such a shame. I feel for his death.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Thank you, thank you again.

As for as Alan Watts dying an alcoholic...may he rest in peace. Yet I think it was relevant to bring that up. Such facts inevitably undermine one's faith in the writing but keeping them concealed smack of cult-ism. I think it's better to not embrace a teaching at all than to be hypnotized by it and to deify its carrier(s).

To me, Buddhism is ultimately about facing the truth. And part of the truth is that for all the meditating and beautiful philosophy one may still arrive at an inglamarous end. It is a very heavy truth, especially for someone just starting out on the path. But can the path be considered real and valid if one chooses to ignore some aspects of reality?
  • edited June 2010
    Thank you, thank you again.

As for as Alan Watts dying an alcoholic...may he rest in peace. Yet I think it was relevant to bring that up. Such facts inevitably undermine one's faith in the writing but keeping them concealed smack of cult-ism. I think it's better to not embrace a teaching at all than to be hypnotized by it and to deify its carrier(s).

To me, Buddhism is ultimately about facing the truth. And part of the truth is that for all the meditating and beautiful philosophy one may still arrive at an inglamarous end. It is a very heavy truth, especially for someone just starting out on the path. But can the path be considered real and valid if one chooses to ignore some aspects of reality?

Why are people making a big deal about this?! Facing the truth? What? He didn't murder anyone, geesh.

It is not necessary to say, "I suggest books by Alan Watts, but be careful. He became an alcoholic towards the end of his life."

We could also put a warning for other people as well.

"I suggest Buddhist scriptures, but be careful. Buddha knowingly ate toxic food before he died."

"I suggest books by Nietzsche, but be careful. He became a schizophrenic before he died."

• johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Whether Alan Watts became an alcoholic or not, I read his book "The Way of Zen" and found it excellent... Perhaps that is due to my limited knowledge of Buddhism from any other perspective but it is the book that propelled me towards Buddhism...

I recommend it. http://www.amazon.com/Way-Zen-Alan-W-Watts/dp/0375705104
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited June 2010
    Why are people making a big deal about this?! Facing the truth? What? He didn't murder anyone, geesh.
    he did murder himself and create a huge deal of suffering for himself and probably his family and friends.

it's like saying "here's a wonderful book written by this guy teaching you how to deal with your emotions; don't worry about the fact that the author ended up a pedophile by dealing with his emotions the way he did."

We could also put a warning for other people as well.

"I suggest Ajahn Chah books, but be careful. Chah became enlighten and extremely peaceful dealing with life the way he teach you in his books."
  • edited June 2010
    Transmission of the Dharma is the utmost focal point, and it is lost when the mind focuses instead on an object ('Alan Watts') which is no object at all.....merely a process. Many 'people' preach what they do not practice, but it is the transmission of the teachings that conditions us to seek liberation.

Whatsoever of Alan Watts may be discussed; his birth, his life, his alcoholism, his ultimate death.....the teachings in this book, The Way of Zen, are transmission of the Dharma and as yet there have been no posts that this transmission is somehow of itself not worthy of respect or an inaccurate picture of reality.

That's all I want to convey. I've practiced another form of Buddhism and am very familiar with it, and mostly familiar with the other traditions. The contents of The Way of Zen are in accord with the core of the teachings and my own experiential insights, though of course there are minor differences in perspective as each will have on the Dharma.

As always, believe nothing unless it accords with your own reason and your own common sense. So said the Buddha; such is the only way to see and know for yourself.

Namaste
  • edited June 2010
    I really liked Chogyam Trungpa's books. He was Pema Chodron's teacher. I really like Pema Chodron's books and lectures and they've helped me a lot, but i feel Chogyam Trungpa's books don't have so much of a problem of feeling dumbed down, americanised, or even just too comforting.