Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What makes Harry Potter evil?

edited October 2005 in Faith & Religion
According to the Pope (is it true he was in the Hitler youth?), Harry Potter is evil.
Does anybody know why. Just puzzled me.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
  • edited September 2005
    Yes, he was for a short time in the Hitler youth, this was obviously compulsory!...he then went on to join the German Army.....then according to his brother he simply absconded, in all the confusion during the very end of the War.
  • edited September 2005
    i've never read Harry Potter, but from the sounds of that article it sounds like its teaching that the world isn't black or white - good or evil... might have to start reading it.
  • edited September 2005
    Bob, you can borrow my copies if you would like. Harry Potter is neither Evil or Good. Neither is Eragon or Eldest of the Inheritance series or J.R.R. Tolkiens Lord of the rings series, They are works of Fiction. I have read all three series. What about movies like The Passion of Christ? or the lost years?
    If Mankind in their infinate wisdom has to rely on works of fiction for their moral conceptions then I am truly afraid of what we are becoming.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I find it deeply disturbing that the Pope, who looked on the real face of evil in the Third reich, can be so petty as to find it in a childrens' school story!

Are we now to ban Macbeth because it contains witches and fortune-telling!

Has this man nothing better to do?
  • edited September 2005
    Harry Potter is completely harmless. I have the books except for the newest one, and even my parents even suggest that I should read and buy the books, but when you think aout it from a christian perspective it could be considered evil because of the magic. The source of magic is supposed to be from Lucifer himself which one could use to do things beyond human capibility. Christians not only see magic as evil because of the supossed source but also because one could use it to mimic the power of God with it such as healing and other things.
  • edited September 2005
    Be careful Brother Simon, You might give them further ideas.
    edited September 2005
    Such ideas I could give them, Sister Night Hawk: Goethe's Faust, Homer. even Dante! Beethoven will have to go - he used pagan imagery. And what are we to do about Mozart and The Magic Flute with its evil Masonic themes?

There are still people alive who witnessed the Nazi book-burnings. Does Mr Ratzinger not understand that there are some resonances he would be wise to avoid.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Very true Simon.
  • edited September 2005
    No, Not Dante, Beethoven or Mozart! Not even the Ghost Dance.
    edited September 2005
    The Catholic Church has a long history of rejecting the best of science. Will it now turn to artistic iconoclasm? Is he going to bring back the Index Librorum Prohibitorum? In a world where the poor are getting poorer, where slavery still exists, where the powerful behave disgracefully towards the weak, the Roman bishop, in his palace, is less honoured as a humanitarian than an exile in a rather scruffy bungalow!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Harry Potter is the story of a boy.

A boy in a set of different situations that many boys and girls have problem imagined about in various fantasies they act out in the course of regular play. I know I had a pretty active imagination. I used to wish I could be Thor - The God of Thunder.

Harry Potter is also a story of a regular boy growing up but faced with situations that lead most readers to believe that by making the attempt, good can overcome evil.

If anyone reads more into this than that - they need to get a new line of work or some new hobbies to help themselves adjust.

-bf
    edited September 2005
    twobitbob wrote:
    According to the Pope (is it true he was in the Hitler youth?), Harry Potter is evil.
    Does anybody know why. Just puzzled me.

Oh.. but to answer your question...

The Catholic Church, The Christian Coalition, The Bible Belt, the Evangelist and whever teach that Harry Potter is evil because he is a wizard. All wizards are evil.

There is no attempt to realize that these are simply stories. Witch = evil. Wizard = evil. My way is the right way and everyone else is wrong.

Once again, it's Man's attempt to tell everyone what some certain god is thinking (whether they exist or not) that is the problem.

You've made these rules, doctrines and dogmas for centuries - you have to stick to them and uphold them - otherwise, the masses might start thinking for themselves - and you can't let that happen!

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    i knew Gandalf was evil! It was the way he tried to help people and said wise things that gave him away.

Thanks for the offer MoonLgt, but my mum has the entire collection of books (and videos).
    (i knew she was evil too - it was the way she made my sandwiches go all soggy by midday)

So this is the same mentality that saw eccentric, or just unpopular, women burn?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    yes.... you have to understand that for some, soggy sandwiches were a really big issue.....
    edited September 2005
    I bet Benny the Rat doesn't get soggy sandwiches in the Vatican!
    edited September 2005
    Man ,I was about to post something sooooooo wicked.....!!
  • edited September 2005
    I showed my son this post and the wonderful Link you posted Fed. He told me that none of us should be surprised by this. The government and the Churches have been banning things they do not understand for years. Only that in the last few years it has gotten worse. He reminded me of the fight his school had to take on when one of our state senators decided that any and all school mascots that related to Native americans had to be changed because they were degrading to the Indians. ( Ie. Braves, Warriors, Seminoles, Redskins, Etc.)

By the Way his school with the help of the local tribe, won the rights to keep their mascot.
  • edited September 2005
    No way Harry Potter is evil! Voldemort yes, but Potter???

Haha

LIke everyone pointed out earlier wizards and witches= evil...

The book is not evil. In fact, my friends and I absolutely love it! (apart from LOTR) of course. Loads of Moral values... Shall I start analysing it? Ho hum.

It is totally harmless, so long as little children do not try to jump down from the balcony trying to fly on a broom... Happened before though...
    edited September 2005
    Amara wrote:
    .................., so long as little children do not try to jump down from the balcony trying to fly on a broom... Happened before though...

I think that any person, of any age, who kills themselves like this is probably little or no loss to the gene pool!
  • Argon.AidArgon.Aid Veteran
    edited October 2005
    I still don't understand all those furore over Harry Potter being an evil book.For peace sake..its just a book.Is there such a lack of controversy in our world that every single book have to be aimed at.
    Harry Potter is just a story,a book,so read it from a normal perpspective.And if you do think carefully,this book really teaches some good life skills.
    The fact on wheter children will follow the actions are all based on their nature.So why can't we say and express concern on whether children will also follow the actions of dropping an anvil on a friend like that in cartoons or swing from builing to building like Spiderman.
    Lets ponder That.
    edited October 2005
    The US Senate heard testimony on climate change and global warming from the well-known "expert", Michael Crichton, who has just written a novel about it. Are they now going to call J. K. Rowling to help solve any airline problems?
  • edited October 2005
    Brother Simon, You may be right about the US senate calling J.K. Rowling next, for the Airlines problems. I have found that alot of these committees call only those who can tesify to what the senate wants to hear . Although Mr. Crichton's call for verifing results is understandable and on some things should be done. There is alot of bad Information out there.
    But as far as Climate Change is concern, All they really have to do is walk out their door.
    edited October 2005
    The US Senate heard testimony on climate change and global warming from the well-known "expert", Michael Crichton, who has just written a novel about it. Are they now going to call J. K. Rowling to help solve any airline problems?

Too bad Roger Zelazny died - or Carlos Castandeda - that would have been a way to travel!

-bf