Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What to do about Positive Stereotypes

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
As I've learned in some of my education classes, stereotypes come in many forms. In addition to the obvious negative stereotypes ("Hispanics are lazy." "Blondes are ditzy." etc.) there are "positive" stereotypes that can be just as hurtful in their own way. For instance, in my country Chinese people are considered naturally smarter in areas such as science and math. That doesn't seem so bad, unless you are a Chinese girl who's efforts never get appreciated because everyone believes you are smarter and don't have to work as hard.

And what about us Buddhists? According to some, we're all vegetarians who never get upset, all know how to do yoga, karate, etc. And when the reality doesn't fit the stereotype, it's not unlikely that (instead of changing their stereotype) the stereotyper will just say, "Well, you're not really a Buddhist." My own brother-in-law said that I'm not really a Buddhist because I have stuff! Apparently, true Buddhists don't have possessions because that would be too materialistic of them!

Anyways, here's an interesting question and response from Answerbag.com (Warning, it's deceptively nice):

Q: What are the strengths and weaknesses of the religion of Buddhism?
A: Buddism isn't a religion per say. It's a way of life. Buddists don't neccessarily believe in a divine, merely the divine in ourselves. They try to do all that they can to become all that they physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually can. Strengths are that they live far longer because they do not polute their bodies with all that we do. They are humble and kind people. They are usually very well educated. Weaknesses include very few points. If you enjoy poluting your body and sleeping very little from working and playing too hard and do not really care for spirituality then it's not the way of life for you!
In response to the comment below: If you follow Buddism then aren't you in fact a 'Buddist'! Fact of the matter is that they do not consume as many free radicals as we do in their diet so they are healthier and it is the Budist way to be healthy (so your body works as best it can), kind (because the Buddist view on life is Karma; what goes around comes around) and intelligent (because there is more to advancing yourself than just the physical and spiritual but to understand the world around us aswell). Before you say that you not need to be intelligent to uderstand the world (I can see that one coming) the definition of intelligence is: The ability to understand your knowledge.

Anyways, I think it missed the whole point of Buddhism - which has little to do with free radicals. They make the great philosophy/religion of Buddhism look like a diet plan! That's like saying Islam is great because they don't consume pork or alcohol or red meat whatsoever (the last one added since it couldn't be all truthful, right?)

Ok, enough ranting. What do y'all think? Do you encounter people like this? What do you say to them?

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    You are quite right, DK, that 'positive' stereotypes based on race are essentially nonsense. On the other hand, there are some valuable insights to be gathered from cultures.

As the comedian Jeremy Hardy says, it is not because he is Black that Nelson Mandela can get up and dance without looking like a dork. It is because he lives in a culture where dancing is normal. To go from there to say that all South Africans, or, worse, all black South Africans, "have rhythm" is plain nonsense.

Stereotyping may, to some extent, be inevitable because the human mind appears to form such gestalts very easily. They can be broken down by information.

There is, in Catholic theology, the notion of "invincible ignorance" and I fear that we shall all be at the receiving end of it at some time or another. We can only attempt to share information which will enable the breaking down of stereotypes, replacing them with role models.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    There are times when there is nothing to be said. To say one thing may lead to confusion while saying something else could lead to harsh words.

Sometimes it is better to just leave it be. Which times are those? The times when your ego wishes you to correct those that you feel are wrong. When your ego is in control there is also conceit. Instead of compassion the words you will say will be poluted by this conceit. It can be very subtle, but it is still there - lurking, waiting to be right with "its" views. The views themselves may be correct mind you, but the attitude behind them is not.

Just my perspective anyhow. :)

Jason
  • edited September 2005
    In the past few years I have seen a lot more images of and references to Buddhism appearing in popular culture. They're in ads and cute news articles and other things meant to be read quickly. I guess it's better that it's distorted and overly simplistic on the positive side than on the negative. But, my sense is that it is partly just a fad. If the fad keeps going, I can imagine that a more critical and negative side will start appearing in pop culture, too. Crime or "odd" behavior by "Buddhists" will become news. There will be shocking reports about monks who own cars and fancy watches, etc. The crazy price for gold leafed statues of Amida will be revealed.

Then the fad will be over.

In the mean time, I guess we just practice patience and smile proudly with the knowledge that we have fewer free-radicals than "them," eventhough I didn't know it mattered.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    There are times when there is nothing to be said. To say one thing may lead to confusion while saying something else could lead to harsh words.

Sometimes it is better to just leave it be. Which times are those? The times when your ego wishes you to correct those that you feel are wrong. When your ego is in control there is also conceit. Instead of compassion the words you will say will be poluted by this conceit. It can be very subtle, but it is still there - lurking, waiting to be right with "its" views. The views themselves may be correct mind you, but the attitude behind them is not.

Jason

Ouch.

I was sitting here reading this, Jason, and had forgotten what the subject of the thread was about ...

I was going to correct you because you were wrong. I had lots of conceited words to say to you - then I realized you must have been talking about me! :)

Boy... even though your response was about something entirely different - you sure painted a good picture of things I need to work on... :)

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    Elohim wrote:

Jason

Excellent.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited September 2005
    :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Not one of your longest posts, Elohim.... ;):lol:
  • edited September 2005
    Simon,
    I have to admit I am impressed. Jeremy Hardy is by far one of the most brilliant comedians of his time. I hiring him on several occassions for a community based project I was involved in, he was a complete gentleman, very professional and spent at least an hour before the gig research the venue. He always has an angle on a event that has taken place in the news that day. A real pro and a very bright man indeed. He doesn't command a big fee either compared to some lesser comics from the same stable.
    Bill Bailey is great favourite of mine too but a little stroppy before a performance.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    HH,

We are very blessed, over here, with comic writers and performers of real quality - not just very funny but genuinely thought-provoking.

Mind you, I am old enough to have listened to The Goon Show first time around. And am a total ISIHAC addict.