Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Martial Arts

edited October 2005 in General Banter
i've noticed a few people here are into martial arts. I do Eagle Claw Kung-fu myself.
Just wondering what other martial arts we have here, and the philosophies behind them.

:ninja:

Comments

• edited September 2005
    Comic and I are also members of Kung Fu Clans.

He is Shaolin Drunken fist and I am Wing Chun fist (HK style).

The philosophy underlying all eastern martial arts, in my opinion, is the same - moving meditation...
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    I practise and teach Qi Gong and Zham Jhong.... both very static and meditative forms of Martial arts, and predecessors (though admittedly, not by much!) of Tai Chi.... so I have heard.....;) :)
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    I've practiced taekwon-do since 1991 - except for the last few years due to health reasons.
    I've dabbled in many - at last focusing on Korean arts.

-bf
  • edited September 2005
    I Practice and Teach Tai Chi. I teach Forest Land Tai Chi to the Elderly as well as practicing the 24 form Yang Style. Tai Chi is a practice of Meditative Movments that bring the body and the mind together.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    which is sometimes hard for me, as I'm occasionally doubtful mine exists..... Sabine will tell you why....!!

I love the calming grounding effect of Qi Gong, and I feel so good when I practise. I used to be a bit of a loose cannon before I began. Now I'm much more 'in control' of things....

My pupils obviously reap different benefits, and will give many different reasons for why they practise, but they all agree on how nice it is to just all come together and share an hour or two of 'solitude', meditation and calm peace....
  • edited October 2005
    I started off with Muay Thai Kickboxing and American Jiu-Jitsu at my first school. Then I began to study American Open Style, Sil Lum Kung Fu, Wing Chun, Wu Shu, Tai Chi and various weapon systems as well. I have a small school in our home town where I am as much a student as I am a teacher at times! I think it is very important (least for my students) to use martial arts as a way to look deeper into ones self. Martail arts has been a very useful tool along my path and I find preforming different forms to be as beneficial as meditation at times!
    Mike
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    You consider a few random punches to the wall every morning an art? 'Cause I do... Prepares me for the day...

Philosophy? Ouch.