Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

buddhism

edited September 2005 in Buddhism Basics
i only just found my true calling... buddhism and I don't know how to go about this i mean how do I start worshipping Buddah? I would really like to know as I think I am finally complete.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hello Emmie,

No worship required! That's why most of us love the practice so much.

Read some of the threads in Buddhism 101 and you will get some idea of why Buddhism may include devotion but certainly no worship.

I hope you enjoy it here and will decide to stay.

BTW: you are, of course, complete but I wonder what you mean by it.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2005
    Hello Emmie, and welcome!

The best thing I can advise you to do for my part is to have a really good trawl through the site. Buddhism 101 and the Buddhist FAQ zone (right at the bottom of the forum index) plus any other threads which catch your eye... Jesus & Buddha, judaism, atheism.... there's so much for you to read! In addition to which, you're always welcome to jump into any of the discussions we're all having, and give your slant and perspective! We have members of all ages on here, but be under no illusion - even us oldies are more than happy to learn a few things from our younger members. There's no difference as far as we're all concerned, when it comes to sharing and learning.... Don't be shy, and have your say.
    Look forward to hearing more from you....

PS: You can bet your bottom dollar that if there WAS a nice neat shortcut to "being Buddhist" - man, I'd have taken it long ago! Life is one long process of learning - I certainly am not through yet - !! But don't let that put you off - because alongside the friends you'll make, the trip is great fun, and very worthwhile!!
  • edited September 2005
    Welcome, emmie!! It's great to have you here. Like Fede and Simon have said, the best way to get through this is to just start reading! I started by coming on this forum and it has been so helpful! There are some wonderful people on this site. I hope you enjoy it here.

Kim
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Hello Emmie,

No worship required!

Simon,

I liked your response. Could work as a radio spot...

Come down to the Arena this weekend for the Convert to Buddha Moto-Cross. Kids get a free t-shirt - and as always - there's no cover charge!

-bf
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Oh yeah...where are my manners? Hi Emmie - welcome!

-bf
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    That's no worship required - Unless you want some Pure Land, Chinese or whatever else along with your burger.