Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A little help thinking of an Apiary (beekeeping) name

specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
edited July 2010 in General Banter
I keep bees, and I've grown my hives to the point where I think I am going to try and sell some honey on the side in the next few years. I've always tried to treat the little girls (the bees that is) with respect, and I havn't used pesticides or chemicals in over six years.

Anyway, since I'm going to sell honey, I need a name. I was hoping some creative individuals could help me come up with a name, hopefully one that has subtle hints to responsible roots, or even buddhist origin roots. Since I'll be selling to individuals of all kinds, I don't want to go with anything too radical, like "Dharma Apiary," because that alone would turn someone off (I think).

Anyway, any creative individuals want to help?

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Do A lot of honey research when creating a name.

Try to pick a name that either promotes a strength of honey or address a weakness of honey.

example: If you find that alot of people don't buy honey because they feel there are chemical added. Try something like "Pure Honey"

Example two: If statistically buy the brand of honey that has the sweetest flavor, maybe "Sweet as Honey".

Stuff like that. Pick a name that reflects your new business and its goals. Do research, Have fun.

Or just pick a name that sounds witty. :)
  • specialkaymespecialkayme Veteran
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the help Micsunderland3, very intuitive. I will certainly keep my mind open to the market. I don't, however, have funds to do actual research on the topic, although that would be amazing.

I do know that I was hoping to get something trademarkable. In order to get a trademark (at some point in time) I can't have the name be descriptive. "Pure Honey" or "Sweet as Honey" is simply descriptive of the product, so I can't use those (not saying that those were actual suggestions, I know they were examples).

Additionally, I need something that is unique, and stays with the individual. "Pure Honey" or something similar likely won't stick with the individual, as it is something that is on just about every honey label.

While good advice, I think it's more attributable to marketing or slogans than to a name.
  • edited July 2010
    I wasnt suggesting that you yourself fund a research. I was just recommending to check around the internet.

Its amazing what you can find these days.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2010
    "Bee good naturally."

"Nibbeena Honey" (as opposed to Nibbana....:D)

Just two to play with....

I used to keep bees too... Loved every minute of it.

How do you stop them swarming?
    I was never very good at that.....:o
    edited July 2010
    I wasnt suggesting that you yourself fund a research. I was just recommending to check around the internet.

Its amazing what you can find these days.

Ok, I understand a little better now. Thanks for the advice!
    federica wrote: »
    "Bee good naturally."

"Nibbeena Honey" (as opposed to Nibbana....:D)

I like where your head is at federica. Both good suggestions.
    federica wrote: »
    How do you stop them swarming?
    I was never very good at that.....:o

Practice. After a while you can tell what they are going to do, or want to do before they do it. Swarm prevention was the hardest thing to learn for me too.
  • johnathanjohnathan Canada Veteran
    edited July 2010
    What about "Pureland Honey"... Can't get much more Buddhist than that :) Also implies that the land the honey comes from is pure, so the honey too must be pure...
    edited July 2010
    johnathan wrote: »
    What about "Pureland Honey"

Very nice! I'm not Pureland Buddhist, but I don't think it matters much.

FYI I was looking for more of a name of an Apiary than the label of the honey. So if I used this it would probably be "Pureland Farms," "Pureland Apiary," "Pureland Bee Farm," or "Pureland Acers." Something in that nature, make sense?

Thank you so much for the help John, I appreciate it.