Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Kundalini

edited December 2010 in Faith & Religion
About 1 year ago I started experiencing symptoms of a Kundalini awakening after doing LSD that still remain today. During this LSD trip I experienced a oneness with the universe and immediately after that I started feeling intense heat in my spine. As of right now I have body vibrations constantly, skin crawling sensations, uncontrollable body movements, extreme mental dullness, feeling like I'm not in my body, high anxiety with a constant fear of dying, and a high sensitivity to the energies of other people. I feel so disconnected from everyone in my life and I can no longer relate to people at all.

I have seen various doctors, but they can't find anything physically wrong with me. They have basically told me that I am deeply psychotic and they have labeled me as having various mental diseases. I have been given various psychiatric medications and all they do is make my symptoms worse.

Does anyone have any tips on how I can better deal with this? I'm not really sure if Kundalini is taught in Buddhism, but I am suffering greatly and I do not now how to deal with all these symptoms anymore. There has honestly been times where I have contemplated suicide because of everything I am experiencing.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    You should visit a Tibetan medical Dr. and attend a healing Chod ceremony, or find a teacher who is known for this practice.
    Kundalini isnt really taught, but it is known and can be dangerous. There are solutions to what you are experiencing.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Rachael wrote: »
    About 1 year ago I started experiencing symptoms of a Kundalini awakening after doing LSD that still remain today. During this LSD trip I experienced a oneness with the universe and immediately after that I started feeling intense heat in my spine. As of right now I have body vibrations constantly, skin crawling sensations, uncontrollable body movements, extreme mental dullness, feeling like I'm not in my body, high anxiety with a constant fear of dying, and a high sensitivity to the energies of other people. I feel so disconnected from everyone in my life and I can no longer relate to people at all.

Do you think you could be having some sort of flashback? It's not uncommon to have long-lasting effects from using LSD. The symptoms you've described sound similar to those described by acquaintances of mine who were heavy LSD users in their youth.
    I have seen various doctors, but they can't find anything physically wrong with me. They have basically told me that I am deeply psychotic and they have labeled me as having various mental diseases. I have been given various psychiatric medications and all they do is make my symptoms worse.

Did you tell your doctors about your LSD trips? What kind of mental disorders and medications have they suggested?
    Does anyone have any tips on how I can better deal with this? I'm not really sure if Kundalini is taught in Buddhism, but I am suffering greatly and I do not now how to deal with all these symptoms anymore. There has honestly been times where I have contemplated suicide because of everything I am experiencing.

I am so sorry to hear that you are suffering in this way. It sounds very scary and I hope that someone on the board can suggest a solution. Of course I'd suggest simple breathing meditation as one option to try.

Shenpen made the suggestion of seeing a Tibetan doctor, which may be a good option if you can find one in your area. I have had excellent results with acupuncture (classical Chinese medicine, not traditional), acupressure, and energy healing. You mentioned seeing a doctor, but not a therapist; maybe just talking with a counselor would be another option to try.
  • aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited August 2010

Rachael,

I am very sorry that your reality is unstable right now, that is one of the complications of using drugs that shift our perceptions. We can learn to see things from a new angle, which is good... but it is packaged with an intense amount of side effects, such as the kind of experience you describe.

There are techniques to healing/incorporating the new experiences you're having, and I really feel that an authentic Zen or Tibetan teacher would be well positioned to help on a more long term basis. What you sound like you're going through is fairly common with quick awakenings... all you need to do is develop some mindful practices. It sounds as though you're quite aware and have strong empathy, which are wonderful when tempered a little.

First, you might wish to consider a sitting meditation practice, specifically breath meditation. Here is great introductory meditation series on youtube. By meditating, you will increase your focus and openness in the present moment, which is undoubtedly where most of your challenge is taking place. The openness will give you more space to examine the arising phenomena, which will help with your feeling of anxiety. The focus will help you cultivate right view, so that while you are working with the experiences, you do so in a way that you learn what can be learned and then move on.

Second, try to cultivate some acceptance of what is happening around you. Admittedly, your reality appears quite different from what other people see, which is fine! If you can, just try to accept that you're in a different place than you were, and so what you're bound to notice is also different. When you accept that things are what they are, they won't impact you quite so dramatically and you'll have some detachment.... some space between you and the experience.

Finally, as you notice phenomena arising around you (say, an odd or strong synchronicity) know that it is actually empty... there is no wisdom behind the phenomena. I hear lots of stories from people such as yourself, who consider the presence of synchronized events to indicate that they are on the right path or following some kind of arrow. When we meditate ourselves awake, this is often the case because we are stable and slowly open, so our wisdom is naturally cultivated in the process. In the case of a drug induced awakening, the openness isn't tempered by right view. So, instead of looking to external phenomena for advice, it is better to cultivate a stable connectedness to wisdom.

I suggest again finding a seasoned teacher who seems to you to glow when he talks. :) If that is not available, youtube's dhammatube and Ajahn Brahm are packed with wonderful help and teachers. Sometimes, just listening to these ripe and flowing minds can help the rest of our mental noise settle.

Also know that as your mind heals it gets easier. Feel free to post here at any time, there is a great deal of compassion behind the people in these parts. And remember, you're not alone. :)

With warmth,

Matt
  • patbbpatbb Veteran
    edited August 2010
    well, since Buddhism doesn't deal with Kundalini directly, perhaps you should attempt to find a Kundalini expert.

I'm no Yoga, Kundalini, chakra expert by any consivable mean but I have heard good things about this person Acharya Shree Yogeesh, and personally, i just have good vibes with him.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg68DB5vMj8&feature=related
    Im certain that there are plenty of qualified expert capable of giving you support or directing you in the right path to find support.

good luck!
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2010
    You could try reiki or crystal therapy to realign your energy and get it flowing properly again.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited August 2010
    Doing LSD is never a good idea.The effects can last a very very long time after I would consult a physcian, Lets hope youve not done any permenant damage.
  • edited November 2010

sitting meditation, alone in a garden. Cease all thought, cease the thought of ceasing thought, DO NOT be afraid. feel the energies run up your spine with each breath,connect to life through death, [the death of your old ways] BE NOT AFRAID
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2010
    yes.
    Unfortunately Rachel has only touched this forum once, and that was back in August.
    Sometimes it's worth considering the value of reviving old threads.... particularly if the OP was a transient visitor. ;)

Thanks anyway.....:)
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Hello. I sympathize and hope can sort of relate. I have been told that I was phychotic and put on medication, told I didn't have touch with reality and this and that.

One thing that helped me was reiki, as ferderika insightfully pointed out. I started by going to a reiki/cyrstal/hypnotherapist to treat depression. She pointed me to a very very good reiki healer. After he did his first session I felt very good. I recomend you find the best reiki healer that you can... perhaps to do this you could call any reiki healer you can find in your town, and try them and ask them who taught them reiki, and ask to see that person. I don't understand the science of crystal healing, but it could be an option. Hypnotherapy may also help. These are people who will want to see you get better and are probably open minded and would be good to have you in your life. From what I read I think I know how you're feeling.

One thing that my friend who is on medication like me pointed out was that in order to feel better, medication was not sufficient, one has to change their daily life.

2 people here have suggested mindfulness of breathing practice. What I suggest is to practice the 5 precepts, and what you can of the eightfold path on top of the mindfulness of breathing (renunciation of indulgence and such) So perhaps if you are using marijuana or smoking ciggarettes you can cut the former and cut down on the latter.

I know how it is to feel fear of not being able to relate to people.

I think that mindfulness of breathing is causes much more positive changes in your life when you try to practice things in the eightfold path such as the five precepts, goodwill, harmlessness, etc. I also recomend loving kindness meditation:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixmba3jAEEk
    edited November 2010
    Bringing my mind to stillness helped me feel relief from feelings like you are having. Work towards that with the path.

If your medication isn't working, talk to your doctor.

Love.
    edited November 2010
    I have a visualization CD that the shaman gave to me that really helps me calm down and feels like I don't care about the external world any more, PM me if you're interested I could send it via. the internet or send you a copy.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2010
    It's not unusual for people in the throes of Kundalini to be declared psychotic. Don't fall for that. Read Gopi Krishna's book, "Living With Kundalini", if you haven't already.

I saw a couple of Tibetan doctors when I had a spontaneous Kundalini rising, and they couldn't help. Maybe there are some who can. I asked an acupuncturist about it, and he said Kundalini is too powerful, you can really mess somebody up by interfering via acupuncture. You just have to let it run its course, and hope it doesn't take long. Tibetan Buddhism actually does deal with Kundalini, but they call it "Inner Fire". Or they use the Indian term, "kunda". In my experience, anyway.
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited November 2010
    I had some interesting experiences which I could either label as spiritual or medical or both. I have had great results once I found the combination of meds that worked for me. Every body is different.

My teacher says that meds may be the result of the action of buddhas and bodhisattvas in this world. Or thats what I recollect anyhow.

It takes time to adjust to the med. I usually give it about 6 months and if it fails then I don't try that med again.
  • edited November 2010
    Kundalini only recognises that it resides in sacrum bone, and that means, the flesh can do away to feed the nature :p The suggestion to visit the right Tibetan Buddhism guru is good choice.:D Prior to this, you ought to let go all Kundalini teachings & knowledge and restart afresh, and dedicate the merits of cultivation and be patient and perseverance is the only course as already attacked by poison.
  • edited December 2010
    So called kundalini sounds like a load of superstitious nonsense to me.Someone with mental problems should see a proper doctor and take the right medication ,not be directed to some raikey or who knows what new age flakey spiritual fakes.
  • edited December 2010
    bart1964 wrote: »
    So called kundalini sounds like a load of superstitious nonsense to me.Someone with mental problems should see a proper doctor and take the right medication ,not be directed to some raikey or who knows what new age flakey spiritual fakes.

Medications rarely help depending on the mental problem in my opinion. Medications only mask the problem, it doesn't solve the underlying issues that are the cause.

It often takes alternative treatments for the person to notice any improvements to their mental health.
  • edited December 2010
    Drugs can't bring enlightenment
  • edited December 2010
    Maybe not ...but they can help keep you out of the nuthouse
  • edited December 2010
    I thought I had kundalini but it turned out it was just a swollen prostate. Qi Gong worked it out sure enough, though.
  • edited December 2010
    bart1964 wrote: »
    Maybe not ...but they can help keep you out of the nuthouse
    oops, indeed! Drugs is the a general term. :o
  • edited December 2010
    Ch'an_noob wrote: »
    oops, indeed! Drugs is the a general term. :o

It's always a term used very loosely. I agree that no psychoactive can bring enlightenment; however, would say that certain psychoactives can point people in the right direction or wrong direction, though just like how anything in existence can.
  • Too much kundalini can be fixed with 'grounding'. This means going out in nature, going for walks, swimming in the ocean, having sex, eating food. In essence, connect with the Earth element. When kundalini gets too strong, it means that a lot of purification is happening but there is a lack of grounding. If anyone is having these issues the folks at Kundalini Support Network know what they are doing and can be very helpful http://www.kundalinisupportnetwork.com/

I myself have experience with the Tibetan tradition, but kundalini is not really known by Tibetan teachers. It's not that they lack experience or anything, but with Tibetan practices you don't have these problems. These problems come to us Westerners who generally have really messy energy channels and are not very emotionally grounded and are way too in our heads. Not a good combination, especially if you're experimenting with substances that can blow open the gates.
  • mzaur, that is a great link, thank you so much!
    I must say, my spontaneous Kundalini rising couldn't be addresses with any of the measures you mentioned, and sex notoriously makes it worse. Gopi Krishna had to give up relations with his wife completely because of that, had to change his diet because he became too sensitive energetically to heavy foods (like meat), etc.

It's a fascinating phenomenon; I hope someone in the West does a study of people with active Kundalini rising so we can understand it better and get scientific validation of it.

• edited December 2010

Rachael- Do you have a primary care doctor? All I've read about LSD is that it is a very dangerous drug and can cause flashbacks. LSD was used in experiments for it's mind altering effects. Please be honest with your caregivers so they can help you. I don't know how they go about drug treatment, but that would be a good start. It would be hard for an untrained person to determine if your experiences are from the LSD or reactions to new meds.

The experience you described as Kundalini awakening doesn't sound anything like the bliss one feels when doing breathing and chakra exercises drawing up Kundalini energy. I used to do this regularly but have taken a break to deal with other issues. The energy is pure, vibrant, and the feeling is both peaceful and exhilarating at the same time. One "taps" into the universal source and things become clear. Your perspective expands. I would suspect that the LSD was causing the frightening feelings and visions.

Please get proper care and let us know how you are. I hope that you find the peace, guidance, and healing that you need.

Namaste

• Good advice, kayte. I thought that since Rachel described a burning in her spinal column, that SOME of her symptoms were Kundalini-related, but I think you're right.
  • mzaur, that is a great link, thank you so much!
    I must say, my spontaneous Kundalini rising couldn't be addresses with any of the measures you mentioned, and sex notoriously makes it worse. Gopi Krishna had to give up relations with his wife completely because of that, had to change his diet because he became too sensitive energetically to heavy foods (like meat), etc.

It's a fascinating phenomenon; I hope someone in the West does a study of people with active Kundalini rising so we can understand it better and get scientific validation of it.

Interesting. I've never read Gopi Krishna, though I've read about him. I have heard that ejaculation for males can be very grounding and can lessen the effects. Perhaps Gopi wasn't ejaculating? For females, sex might of course make the energy stronger since you don't ejaculate, although some females do :)

I'm surprised about meat though. Perhaps it's different for everybody. The website Biology of Kundalini is pretty scientific http://biologyofkundalini.com/ but it's definitely not scientific validation.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2011
    Are you in touch with the Kundalini support network people, Mzaur? I emailed them and got no response. Do they have a workshop schedule?

Gopi Krishna is fascinating.

I'd like to see kundalini practitioners studied for their brain activity, and for their electromagnetic phenomena. This is a rich field for study.

• About 1 year ago I started experiencing symptoms of a Kundalini awakening after doing LSD that still remain today. During this LSD trip I experienced a oneness with the universe and immediately after that I started feeling intense heat in my spine. As of right now I have body vibrations constantly, skin crawling sensations, uncontrollable body movements, extreme mental dullness, feeling like I'm not in my body, high anxiety with a constant fear of dying, and a high sensitivity to the energies of other people. I feel so disconnected from everyone in my life and I can no longer relate to people at all.

• if it is really Kundalini, stop taking neuroleptics (pyschiatric pills), start a vegetarian diet, and meditate with care.
  • edited January 2011
    Rachael I hope you see this, There is a Naturopathic Dr. in Brooklyn NewYork who
    does frequencies and bioelectric medicine. He employs someone to sit in for you and you send him a picture. He can fix you over the phone. He just balanced all my chakras with a rife frequency generator and I feel so much better. This man is very kind and VERY knowledgable about energy. He will help you and you will feel better. If you live anywhere near him it would be a more complete treatment including any other health issues and even motional stuff too. He is a true humanitarian and only charges for the test not the treatments.

Don't advertise on forum.
    I'm sure if she's interested she'll PM you.

Thanks.
  • Where is the OP?? This thing's really interesting.. (I don't mean any harm though)
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Here is an interesting video:

Thoughts?

Leon
  • Drug induced psychosis is quite common and the mind will try to pin something as the 'reason.' The idea that this is kundalini is likely to be part of the psychosis... A symptom and not a cause... I would return to your medication and wait, it may take some fine tuning with a competent Psychaitrist to get it right, but in time you may heal and be able to lead a more normal life. In the meantime, focus on grounding practices like Yoga, metta, mindfulness and observe the precepts. Forget about kundalini, as it is not mainstrem Buddhist and tends towards the magical thinking end of the spectrum. Good luck, I hope you find a cure!
  • Here is an interesting video:

Thoughts?

Leon
    Not that I have anything against Nithyananda(I love his speeches :) ), but have you heard of the scam hes involved in?? More than half his followers have turned against him from last year...
    well this thread is 6 months old, and frankly, until the OP comes back, really pointless pursuing.
    if the OP comes back, she can begin a new thread.
    Thanks to all.
This discussion has been closed.