Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist newcomer searching for direction

edited October 2005 in Buddhism Basics
Hi everyone, I'm totally new to Buddhism and I actually haven't a clue on where to start. Does anyone know where I could go to study in NYC ( I'm currently a student so an y place thats at no cost is preferable). I am deeply interested in learning meditation for clarity of mind and spirit. If anyone can help me and point me in the right direction I would be glad to hear frmo you. Thanks everyone.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2005
    Welcome Greg!
    Nice of you to come in and post. I can't personally give you the info you're looking for, but I'm sure someone will come in with the help you're looking for! Just thought I'd extend the first wlcome!
    Make yourself at home, I'll put kettle on.....:lol:
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    And I extend the second! Hola brother! Unfortunately I can't help you find a place... But just to let you know, sometimes you can learn from books too, not just a real person, though it is preferred... I started out in Buddhism using only books and still is, with the addition of this forum.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2005
  • edited October 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    And I extend the second! Hola brother! Unfortunately I can't help you find a place... But just to let you know, sometimes you can learn from books too, not just a real person, though it is preferred... I started out in Buddhism using only books and still is, with the addition of this forum.

I agree. I was a practicing buddhist for 2 years before I even met another buddhist. I highly recommend the following books:

"The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching", by Thich Nhat Hanh,and

"Mindfulness in Plain English, by Ven. Henepola Gunaratana. You can download this for free at the following url: http://www.urbandharma.org/udharma4/mpe.html . This is the best pracitical guide to meditation I've found yet.

Welcome to the forum!
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited October 2005
    Generally you should ignore what I have got to say, but if you are starting on books, use books from every school of Buddhism, not confine yourself to one school e.g. Thereveda Buddhism...
  • edited October 2005
    I am deeply interested in learning meditation for clarity of mind and spirit. If anyone can help me and point me in the right direction I would be glad to hear frmo you. Thanks everyone.

Welcome!

_/\_

I hope you find what you're looking for but first maybe it's important to discover what that really is?

Gassho (a bow in English!)

Dave