Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New Kampada Tradition...

ToshTosh Veteran
edited September 2010 in Buddhism Basics
We (my partner and I) have been visiting the NKT Buddhist place in Bristol, in the UK. It seems great, no problems, very friendly and we've both been 'bitten' by what we've learnt there so far.

But the NKT seems to get a bad press; even from the Dalai Lama.

Is there a problem with it? It seems fine to me.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    http://www.newkadampa.com/

Note: I don't know anything about anything and am not making any claims one way or the other. The link is the result of a google search using the words 'new kampada controversy'.

Conclusions are for you alone to form, or not form
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    The only Buddhist center within a 3 hour drive of me is a NKT center. I've been a couple of times, and it was fine for what it was. It didn't ring my bell however, as it seems like they're trying to blend 'feel good' Christian-type songs and hooplah with Buddhism. Perhaps I have the wrong impression, but I haven't been back recently.

Mtns
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Threads about the NKT have been discussed here before, and none of them ended well. Try typing it in the forum search and you'll no doubt find them.

There are definitely New Kadampa practitioners that participate in forum discussions regularly. We all have our own beliefs and ways of approaching practice. Let's not get involved in judging whether or not one sect or tradition is better or worse than another.

Check out the place for yourself, see what you think. Read more about it from both sides of the issue. As with all philosophies and practice, keep your mind open and don't accept anything blindly :) Only you know what works for you!
  • edited September 2010
    The NKT controversy is very specific to Tibetan Buddhism and may be much ado about nothing. The NKT allows/encourages propitiation of a deity named Dorje Shugden, who it claims as a protector deity, but who HHDL claims is a "negative deity", for lack of a better term, and that Dorje Shugden should not be propitiated because he supposedly can get out of control and cause negative consequences. It's particularly controversial because HHDL's teachers supposedly formerly propitiated Dorje Shugden and supposedly HHDL probably did at one time. What I've seen from NKT about this is that they are pretty strident in their criticism of HHDL over this and accuse him of trying to exercise too much control over who people propitiate and who they don't, especially given that his teachers used to do it.

I myself just get a bad vibe from what I've seen on the internet about them, that is, they seem overly strident to me. But I'm 58 and inclined to be conservative in my old age, so I have just stuck with HHDL on this one based on... yes... faith. HHDL and the upper-level Tibetan hierarchy did a puja to Cittamani Tara just before they left for exile in India, so if that's good enough for them it's good enough for me.

So it's whatever floats your boat, I guess.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    We (my partner and I) have been visiting the NKT Buddhist place in Bristol, in the UK. It seems great, no problems, very friendly and we've both been 'bitten' by what we've learnt there so far.

But the NKT seems to get a bad press; even from the Dalai Lama.

Is there a problem with it? It seems fine to me.

Perhapes youve met some of our friends down there I know a few people on forums who are at the Bristol Centre :)
    There Is no problem Ive been with the NKT for a rather long time nice bunch of people, Very good teachings. There are lots of silly politics issues sorrounding most of the modern contraversy its best generally to steer clear of gossip and go by your own experience of your own interactions. Alot of people scream and shout when it comes to the NKT and make rude and slanderous accusations In fact we should shortly see some of these pop up on this thread best to take many with a large bag of salt.

Follow the advise of the Buddha and let your own experience be your guide ! :)
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Hey, thanks all; the Bristol NKT place seems great to us; maybe I was asking more out of interest than genuine concern, because from what I've seen there's nothing dodgy going on.

And I do actually belong to what some people accuse of as being a 'cult', and that's Alcoholics Anonymous, and that makes me laugh. You should see our business meetings when we're all arguing over what brand of coffee to buy and stuff; LOL. But I think the 'cult status' gives us a little bit of kudos (I've still got an ego). So to read that the NKT has also been accused of the same made me smile.

Being a member of two cults, both of which seem to be more than happy for me to belong to both, is pretty cool, considering a cult tries to isolate its members from information and outside people.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Thanks all.
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Tosh wrote: »
    Hey, thanks all; the Bristol NKT place seems great to us; maybe I was asking more out of interest than genuine concern, because from what I've seen there's nothing dodgy going on.

And I do actually belong to what some people accuse of as being a 'cult', and that's Alcoholics Anonymous, and that makes me laugh. You should see our business meetings when we're all arguing over what brand of coffee to buy and stuff; LOL. But I think the 'cult status' gives us a little bit of kudos (I've still got an ego). So to read that the NKT has also been accused of the same made me smile.

Being a member of two cults, both of which seem to be more than happy for me to belong to both, is pretty cool, considering a cult tries to isolate its members from information and outside people.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. Thanks all.

Glad all is good Tosh. :)
  • edited September 2010
    I think the horse has suffered enough.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Interestingly, Robert A. F. Thurman, in his introduction to Essential Tibetan Buddhism notes that, historically, the New Kadam (Kadampa) tradition, which arose out Dromtonpa teachings (Atisha's main disciple), became known as Geluk. So the term New Kadampa Tradition is probably something of a misnomer.

The other comment worth noting is that no 'deity' has control over one's mind unless one relinquishes that control.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2010
    dorje wrote: »
    I think the horse has suffered enough.

My sentiments exactly. Leave the old nag in peace.

Palzang
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    It sure is lively, for a dead one...