Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Too much hate

NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
edited October 2010 in General Banter
I barely began my last high-school year, and it seems that everyone in my class , except the girls (we are like 23 boys and 2 girls), is going loose. Today it seemed like a riot was about to start. From 7:30 AM untill 13:40 PM our attitude was that of hate. But, there is one colleague of mine who is like the king of all hate going on in that room, or, let's say, the riot starter. Everything he does, is to mock everyone, even with the price of making himself a fool. When this clown starts to act, some not-so-intellingent guys from behind the classroom begin to 'criticise' (what's the correct form of this word ?) that buffon's acts of stupidity.
The thing is, that we, as a class will suffer from his mockery.
The climax of this hate thing was at the Maths class, when this clown started to argue with the teacher about the math books that were ordered for us, and the clown proe-ordered them, and he said tha the didn't want, etc. This little argument covered even the standards of my collective, and by that, people began to insult each other. We were on the brink of beating the crap out of each other today.
Please tell me, what's going on ? How should I deal with this ? I've endured this chaos for three years and I'm fed up with it.

Comments

• edited September 2010
    Every high school will be like this and let me tell you something. It happens in the real world as well. Typically when I go to the fire station its like stepping right back into high school. These kind of people are everywhere and you just have to learn to deal with it.
  • ChrysalidChrysalid Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Class clowns act like that because they crave attention, and even negative attention is still attention. Other kids encouraging him in his stupid actions reinforces his mindset, his reward for acting the fool is their attention.
    The only thing you can do is sit still and calm, don't let them draw you into their arguments and games. I was in a similar position to you when I was at school, there is really nothing else you can do. It is up to the teacher to control the class, not you.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Wow... that's an awful situation to be in. My sympathies to you and your classmates. My question is, who is in charge of this school? It sounds to me like there is no adult supervision worthy of the name. Are these kids so rowdy that adults in positions of responsibility for them are unable to regain control? If so, it sounds like the higher authorities above them need to intervene and get someone in there who *can* exercise some authority.

Without some authority and discipline, what you are describing is nearing anarchy. Or at best mob rule. That doesn't work, especially in an educational institution.

Good luck!

Mtns
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2010
    In my school you would get detention if you argue with the teacher. For one hour after school. If you speak out in detention you would get kicked out of school (suspended) for 1 week.

You would not get as many work oportunities without a highschool education.
  • edited September 2010
    I work at the local high school and trust me, it really is barely contained anarchy.
    The majority (not all) of the students are virtually out of control and due to weak leadership in Admin. and legal constraints placed over teachers, there is often unbelievably little that can be done.
    Place students on detention? They just don't turn up!
    Students skip classes and wander the hall ways all day and many of the teachers have all but given up.

Nomad Buddha, about all you can do is cling to your own core beliefs and sense of decency and responsibility and try not to get involved in the shenanigans of fools.

I really do feel for you as I have a fair idea of the circumstances in which you are trying to gain an education. Just try to remember that that is the reason you are there.
    All the best, my friend. :)
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Sure, but why do they act that way? I was one of the worst in high school (constant detentions and suspensions). I actually started off as a very good student, but the turning point was when I got a detention for not making a "Wash your hands!" poster for science class. It had nothing to do with education or science and the teacher kept talking about that poster like it's the most important thing in the universe. That wasn't very motivating so I just gave up on school until we stopped finger-painting and starter learning (grade 10). It wasn't just me either, as soon as the real education kicked in suddenly being smart or nerdy wasn't seen as a negative trait, the universe stopped revolving around image and I stopped trying to be the class clown and did pretty well academically.

To sum up, I didn't have anything better to occupy myself with and it's hard to respect 'authority' when say speak nonsense like "this exact thing you're doing at this very moment in time is the most important thing in your life" and apply it to everything.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2010
    Too much testosterone.
    Age-related bravado (Alpha male behaviour, strutting your stuff, ruffling feathers, leader-of-the-pack behaviour)....

Wrong people in charge.
    Just because somebody (a teacher) knows something (their subject) it doesn't make them a good teacher. if they can't command the respect and attention of their pupils - who give these voluntarily, because they want to, because they believe the teacher merits it - then they have no place being a teacher.
  • edited September 2010
    "this exact thing you're doing at this very moment in time is the most important thing in your life" and apply it to everything.

I kind of think that there could be great Wisdom in that statement. :)
  • edited September 2010
    NomaD, hi. :-) wow: very tough situation. my condolences, and remember: this too shall pass. that said, it's also an ideal (if somewhat extreme) situation for you to deepen your practice. if you can maintain equanimity, compassion, and nonattachment in a situation this challenging, you will have come a long way on your path towards awakening. Garchen Rinpoche was imprisoned for 20 years in a chinese labor camp. he refers to that time now as "his retreat" and says his only regret is that he at times felt anger towards his chinese captors/torturers. so perhaps you can think of what lies ahead as a one-year trial-by-fire retreat? :-)
  • NomaDBuddhaNomaDBuddha Scalpel wielder :) Bucharest Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Mountains wrote: »
    1.My question is, who is in charge of this school?
    2. It sounds to me like there is no adult supervision worthy of the name. 3.Are these kids so rowdy that adults in positions of responsibility for them are unable to regain control?
    4.If so, it sounds like the higher authorities above them need to intervene and get someone in there who *can* exercise some authority.

5.Without some authority and discipline, what you are describing is nearing anarchy. Or at best mob rule. That doesn't work, especially in an educational institution.

Good luck!

Mtns

1. Some wacko lady who knows only to scream at us if we don't wear some useless uniform (in my high-school uniforms are mandatory- they are composed of a white T and a sawn emblem on it; in my opinion this is really useless). She doesn't care that we , as a whole school, didn't manage to qualify for any olympics. She just wants to see uniforms.

2. No there isn't. Those teachers want just to see if the student has the uniform and his hair-cut proper.

3. Well, not at all. We are dividede into 'churches' as we Romanians call them. And, the ones who seem to be out of control are those clowns. These are the ones who not only worsen their situation, but worsen the situation of the whole collective they belong to.

4. They said, but for four years nothing is done. I don't expect to see any changes before I leave the high-school to go to Medicine.

5. Surprisingly, it's not really the mobs rule. To put it simply, those clowns are the ones that will manifest physically and violently towards the ones in charge. The rest ( me included) will just don't give a damn about what's going on. The rest will want to either cut the 'bullshit' ( the time wasting buffonery of the clowns) or either to express the same things as the clowns do, only in a much more civilised way.
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Too much testosterone.
    Age-related bravado (Alpha male behaviour, strutting your stuff, ruffling feathers, leader-of-the-pack behaviour)....

Wrong people in charge.
    Just because somebody (a teacher) knows something (their subject) it doesn't make them a good teacher. if they can't command the respect and attention of their pupils - who give these voluntarily, because they want to, because they believe the teacher merits it - then they have no place being a teacher.

No, there is no Alpha male behaviour in a class where everybody tends to be a sole ruler of himself.

Yes, you are right about the teachers. They have threatened the clowns with Correction Exams ( I don't know how are they called in the West, but these kinds of exams are given a week before the new school year ends; the ones who take part at the exam are the ones who couldn't pass at some subject in both semesters and his grades' media on both semesters is below the pass limit) but to no use. These clowns don't care at all. The system in Romania works like this : why should I make a clown repeat the year, and thus to kill my neurons, while I can pass him and make my life easy ?.
    edited September 2010
    Jeffrey wrote: »
    In my school you would get detention if you argue with the teacher. For one hour after school. If you speak out in detention you would get kicked out of school (suspended) for 1 week.

You would not get as many work oportunities without a highschool education.

Sorry to say, but in Romania there is no detention, but, there is the expell thing.
    As I've seen today in my classroom, you could swear and cuss loudly during the class, and the teacher wouldn't do a thing to punish the one who did it.
  • TreeLuvr87TreeLuvr87 Veteran
    edited September 2010
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Only one more year. And I agree with the poster above who pointed out that it's an excellent opportunity for you to practice. I know it seems like there's too much hate, but you have too much love inside you to let that ruin the entire experience for you. Just keep pressing on buddy.
    edited September 2010
    TreeLuvr87 wrote: »
    I'm sorry you're going through this. Only one more year. And I agree with the poster above who pointed out that it's an excellent opportunity for you to practice. I know it seems like there's too much hate, but you have too much love inside you to let that ruin the entire experience for you. Just keep pressing on buddy.

I manage to avoid these clowns during the breaks, but during the class, their stupidity and their will to look stupid is just...hard to ignore.
    edited September 2010
    Dog Star wrote: »
    I kind of think that there could be great Wisdom in that statement. :)

Absolutely, it's just a matter of context. We are all aware that the here and now is the only thing that's eternal, everything else is past and future, so 'course what you're doing right now is what's most important. In the context of finger painting and everyday use of 'the here and now' concept, it's foolish.
  • edited September 2010
    events are only really important if thay impact upon your survival. The present moment is pretty important if you're driving a plane. OTOh, if you're just garbling speil on the intnet then it has no significance at all, you may be criticized for your spelling tho.
    edited September 2010
    ...yet I persist. =)
  • edited September 2010
    well at least I can pretend it's important, ok I concede it's important to you.
  • edited September 2010
    I manage to avoid these clowns during the breaks, but during the class, their stupidity and their will to look stupid is just...hard to ignore.

That you refer to these people trapped in the cycle of conditioned existence as clowns is a problem. It's a problem for you. It's a problem because perceiving these people as clowns is an indication you are still fully trapped in your own cycle of conditioned existence.

You are being emotionally reactive. Being reactive means you are trapped in your conditioning. Your habitual patterns haven't seen a break yet.

These 'clowns' are clowns because they can't be otherwise. To react to conditions is the state we all find ourselves in. They behave as clowns because of their conditioning. You have certainly heard others and perhaps yourself use the expression "s/he really knows how to push my buttons."? In truth we don't have any buttons, but in our conditioned experience of life we do. A person says this or that or does this or that and we simply react emotionally. This is a conditioned response. This makes us slaves to the whims of circumstance. It's like we are programmed computers. If we receive a particular input then we react with a particular response. There is no element of choice involved. We are simply robots acting according to our programming. She says this, we react thusly.

That is the cycle you are currently trapped in and your choice of words reveals it.

If you wish to reduce/end your suffering then you need to learn how to move beyond emotional reactivity. That's the path the Buddha realized and taught us about.

Ultimately the question is do you wish to end this suffering for yourself or are you satisfied taking your grief here and expressing it?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    edited September 2010
    username_5 wrote: »
    You are being emotionally reactive. Being reactive means you are trapped in your conditioning. Your habitual patterns haven't seen a break yet.
    Excellent. Also keep in mind that whatever others do is their karma. But how you react is your karma.
    edited September 2010
    Well, I know that expression, but the thing is, that it doesn't really reflect my own way of thinking. The suffering those people spread is more like a small but annoying toothache. Even if it is small and yo ucan ignore it for a while it becomes really annoying when you don't want to.
    And yes, I need that painkiller pill.
    edited September 2010
    Excellent. Also keep in mind that whatever others do is their karma. But how you react is your karma.

The thing is , that I don't react in a hateful way. I can even say that I don't react at all when chaos breaks out in my collective. I'm more surprised to find out that people who really want to put an end to the chaos will just behave like the ones who create it and they are, let's say, spreading the hatred and so on.
  • MountainsMountains Veteran
    edited September 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Just because somebody (a teacher) knows something (their subject) it doesn't make them a good teacher.

Boy, ain't THAT the truth? :)
    edited September 2010
    Indeed it is. For four years the teachers threatened the man, but they didn't take any measure to ' punish' him. And now, the result is that he has the guts to argue, and he is close to insult directly the teachers in an argument (I'm talking about the one you labelled as attention-seeking kid).
  • fivebellsfivebells Veteran
    edited September 2010
    Before we can respond sensibly to your question, we need to know what you want to get out of it.
  • edited September 2010
    can u beat any of them up? (joke...just kidding) Hang in there Nomad Buddha. Perhaps the condition itself is a small test for you. Like how to properly see those clowns and the reactions that they get. Watch them closely. How they move to how they dont move, what they say, what they don't say. Treat it as if they are performing just for you in a school play. Yet dont let them notice your carefull scrutinity. Its kind of a balancing act. Maybe the Buddha has sprinkled some pepper into your life. Or like Don Juan's (carlos Castaneda's) itty bitty fools. Think it was something different then fools. So im probably not quoting it correctly.
    edited September 2010
    Budhabee, you deserve a biscuit for reminding me a thing taken from James Clavell's 'Shogun' that I forgot to apply it in my daily life : to play Noh just like Tokugawa/Toranaga did. But, I should have played it when the situation demanded.
    The good part is, that I have another day to observe how the chaos behaves :D.
  • edited September 2010
    I let the same things get me down a few years ago during highschool. It was a huge mistake in my personal development. Luckily, you have the eightfold path to guide your actions.

Endure the class "fool", do not let him break you. You have the ability to be stronger then that.

We are all prisoners to our own cravings, set your craving for escaping your classmates free. Embrace him. Recognize that they are in worse shape then you are when they act out. Acting out is his response for coping with his own suffering. Sympathize with him, his suffering is all of our suffering

Practice practice practice.
    edited October 2010
    Another crap exploding in my classroom : we got a really really quiet guy who is really , really shy, and seems tha the lacks any emotional functions. He seems like a stand-by robot. To make a long story short this is what happened:
    - we were talking about the pool game and what we did yesterday (we went to the mall, played some pool, and then went to a KFC to eat something), and we got to the part were we criticisez the quietness of this guy, and his 'disability' to talk with some girls ( who were with us) at the mall.
    - this guy couldn't even say a word, or, if he said something ,I couldn't hear; I tried to make him talk, but he couldn't , he said "I just told them ! I just spoke!", but nothing...;
    - after I went into my desk ( I sit in the front row, the tiny guy sits in the last) the 'black sheep' in my classroom came to make fun of the quiet guy, asking him if he has a girlfriend, or any friends besides us.
    - because he couldn't talk for himself, his deskmate ( in my country, we have two-person desks) said that the Q.G. (quiet guy) had a boy lover, and said why is that.
    - Q.G. , as he told me , tried to counter-attack, but the ' black sheep' announced in the whole class (we were in the middle of Geography class) that the Q.G. is gay.

The next class ( Sports) the 'clown' started to make fun of him, by touching the Q.G.'s legs and other body parts, and so on, and everyone was making fun of him because of the gay thing.
    I tried to help, but I can do nothing. I once pulled the Q.G. from a similar thing, but it seems really worthless.

What should I do ?
    edited October 2010
    Nothing... just be a good friend. It's not what happens to him now that's important, it's what will happen to him later. Many people get damaged in school and develop social anxiety. There's not much you can do about that. However when you're done with school, you may find that you lose touch with the people you were friends with. In the case of Q.G., that may mean he will have no friends and will be too shy to make new ones. The best you can do is be there for him during that time because that's when he'll start to come out of his shell. If you're not there for him then, he'll be pretty miserable for many years to come.