Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

So, here I am...

FenixFenix Veteran
edited October 2010 in Meditation
Dont answer this

I dont know why this does not come up more. Its the only problem I´ve ever had. Im doubting whetever there is a cure or not. Its not imaginary I know that. And its not a cloud in the sky passing through. Its not even a problem ´cause it is always there and dosent need to be found to be seen. Am I different or are others ignorant to see it, Am I ignorant and others wise to see it? Will it stay or will it leave, it dosent matter ´cause its been here already.

Comments

• edited October 2010
    What are you talking about?
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I
    quit
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    First, watch your language.
    Secondly, consider whether, if you quit, there's any point in starting a thread in the first place.
    Thirdly - what is it you want, exactly?
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I cant explain it. If I try, someone will just say "relax". I cant ok. I cant sit. Its not mental, or a pain matter, I feel fine. I´ve stuck out for ten months for every single night and morning on this same problem. I mean literally I have spend every evening and every morning for ten months on simply sitting down. I have been doing other stuff, but it all leads down to "ok, now just sit on the spot and begin" but I cant. I mean I have not once ever in my whole experience once felt any kind of chance of balance or stability or etc.

I dont want a quick fix. I dont want to lie down. All I can think is this whole thing must be pseudo, cause I am sure that what I have been doing for ten months is not the point. I have tried relaxing. Its not relaxing. Its simply an issue of balance. I feel I would have as much chance of meditating as I would upside down, none that is. Why dosent this ever have come up with literally anyone else. At least of all the things I would have thought that I can just sit. right? Even if I would fail anything else at least I can sit, right? Im so frustrated

I dont want an answer how to get better. I want to know why its so hard. Is the point to actually just sit and do nothing else. I can do that. I can sit, but when I start to focus on something else than my whole being starts to revert to a position where I can naturally "stand", so this is on my face on the floor! surely its not the point to just stubbornly ignore the natural tendency to let go, you know.

Its not either that I have to adjust it a little again, sigh. its that I can NOT let go otherwise I will not be sitting in that chair.

And like I said if I follow this natural tendency I will fall flat on my face OR I will inch lower and lower on my back until the chair would finally slip from under me entirely.

Surley there should be like this point where the weight of your body can be distributed and with slightest efforts coming back to that point.

In my case its like holding a person in your arms and saying "dont hold him, let him float in the air..." Obviously he wont float, I have to hold him there or else he will drop, period.
  • edited October 2010
    Are you crazy? I don't mean to offend you or make you more frustrated, but I think that is the most dramatic description of sitting I have ever heard. If it's been going for you like that for 10 months, I feel bad that you didn't ask for help earlier! Don't worry, you CAN make better use of time than getting frustrated.

Have courage and patience. If you want good results, you have to put in effort. The quick, cheap, easy way gives a poor result. Have faith! There are good results to be had. But they're not just had by hard work, they require the right KIND of work. It sounds to me like no one ever told you which way to go so you've been stuck on step 1 for 10 months.

If I were you, I'd stretch and bend your spinal column (look up yoga stuff on youtube), get something to sit on like folded clothes or something to elevate your butt off the ground, sit down cross legged, and begin an investigation. Investigate what is going on so that you can figure out what to do. Take it one step at a time. It doesn't make sense to try to go from step one to step three, it won't work. For you I think you need to just practice sitting still. Think about your spine and the muscles that stabilize it.

Idk. Good luck. If things are not going well for you, ASK FOR HELP!! It's free and highly beneficial! Jesus said, "Ask and it shall be given to you" Matthew 7:7

Good luck friend, don't give up.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited October 2010
    Fenix, may I ask... why do you meditate?
    To what end?

Do you know, I've been practising Buddhism for around 20-odd years...
    I've only recently begun to devote time to meditating I would say in the last six months or so.

I do it in around 5-minute slots, during the day... and sometimes, I give myself more time, at others I have to take less, depending on circumstance.

Why beat yourself up like this?
    Would you expect a toddler to do 10 lengths of the pool, when he's only been in the water for a day?
    Would you expect a jogger, who's just begun a running fitness regime to do a marathon?
    Meditation is not a forced obligation.
    Little and often is better than timed and prolonged.

A friend of mine meditates standing up. I do that too, sometimes. I adopt a Qi Gong stance, and stand, in relaxed attention, or attentive relaxation... take your pick...
    There are no concrete rules, no must, must nots, can, cannots, no enforcement, no right single way, nor wrong single way.....

When something becomes an ordeal, and a negative challenge - heck, really - it's time to stop!! :D
  • FenixFenix Veteran
    edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    Fenix, may I ask... why do you meditate?
    To what end?

Because, I want happiness
    edited October 2010
    Fenix wrote: »
    Because, I want happiness
    Happiness is not a goal; it's a process.
  • edited October 2010
    federica wrote: »
    When something becomes an ordeal, and a negative challenge - heck, really - it's time to stop!! :D

That ^

Fenix, stop for a few days and see how you feel then. Pushing harder becomes counterproductive at some point.
  • edited October 2010
    just go poop
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    In addition to the other's comments, I would add that there is much more to practice than just sitting. Okay, so you can't sit for long periods of time, big deal. Take time off the cushion. Practice generosity. Practice kindness. Practice gentleness. Practice patience. Make peace. Practice Right Speech. Practice Right Action. Practice Right Livelihood. Read a book on Dhamma. Talk to like-minded people about Dhamma. Go listen to a Dhamma talk.

Watch your mind in all postures. Are you frustrated? Know what frustration is like, know how and why it arises, why it stays and why it ceases. Learn to observe and let go. Learn to see the movements of the mind as impermanent and not-self.

Practice is more than just sitting.
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited October 2010
    just go poop

Yes, when you need to - or try doing it when you don't or try not when you need to, or try ... :)