Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Faith

seeker242seeker242 ZenFlorida, USA Veteran
edited October 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Some people seem to believe that faith plays no part in Buddhism. Which is fine, to each his own. :)

However, as I understand it, this is not in accordance with what the Buddha actually taught his disciples? Yes?

I have read here that his teaching on this is usually taken out of context.
On the basis of a single passage,[from the Kalama Sutta] quoted out of context, the Buddha has been made out to be a pragmatic empiricist who dismisses all doctrine and faith, and whose Dhamma is simply a freethinker's kit to truth which invites each one to accept and reject whatever he likes.

But does the Kalama Sutta really justify such views? Or do we meet in these claims just another set of variations on that egregious old tendency to interpret the Dhamma according to whatever notions are congenial to oneself
Curious of people's thoughts on this, especially people well versed in the suttas.

And reading here the below:
Two factors of inner progress which supplement, support and balance each other are intellect (pañña) and faith (saddha). If intellect remains without the confidence, devotion and zeal of faith, it will stop short at a mere theoretical understanding and intellectual appreciation of teachings meant to be lived and not only thought or talked about. In the words of our simile: intellect, if not helped by the hero of faith, will merely "run up and down the bank of the stream," an activity with a very busy and important appearance but with few actual results. Intellect separated from faith will lack the firm belief in its own power to be the guide on the path of life. Without this inner conviction it will hesitate to follow in earnest its own conclusions and commands; it will lack the courage to make an actual start on the task of "crossing over."
It appears to me that faith plays quite an important role? What do you all think?

:)

Comments

• edited October 2010
    I have used my intellect to discover to be true many of the buddha's teachings, and since the buddha has been consistent with my findings on every point i've been able to verify I accept on faith that he's right about the other stuff as well.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Agreed, faith and wisdom are both spiritual faculties that we should develop. The others are energy, mindfulness and samadhi. All five are important on the Path.
  • nanadhajananadhaja Veteran
    edited October 2010
    It is our initial faith in what Lord Buddha taught that leads us to examine more.As we examine more we get more faith(maybe confidence is a better word)this leads us to more examination.Unfortunately we westerners don't like the word faith due to its connection with the word blind.This the Buddha did not teach.
  • RichardHRichardH Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As you say seeker, "each to his own", but IMV faith is essential.

When first taking refuge I wrote this down and sealed it with wax... "Perfect Tathagata, beautiful Tathagata, I open my hear to your blessing, I open my mind to your Dharma, I have deep faith in your way". That was around 89. It set the whole heart down the road.

When the Theravadin Sangha meets we chant..... "Homage to the Blessed, Noble, and perfectly Enlightened one" (namo tassa....).

When the Zen sangha meets we chant homage to the three jewels, (ji-shim gwi-myong-nye .... you know that one :) )

Rousing faith is integral to the path. It might rouse differently for different people, but a devotion to the path, and to "the Blessed One's desciples who have practiced well" in some form, is part of it.
  • pineblossompineblossom Veteran
    edited October 2010
    seeker242 wrote: »

It appears to me that faith plays quite an important role? What do you all think?

What do you mean by faith? I find faith is an overworked noun.
  • thickpaperthickpaper Veteran
    edited October 2010
    However, as I understand it, this is not in accordance with what the Buddha actually taught his disciples? Yes?

I have no faith that any of what we have now as the written buddha's teachings can be directly attributed to the buddha. So to buddhist skeptics like me, claims about "in accordance with" must be a doubted as any claim.
    I have read here that his teaching on this is usually taken out of context.
    Curious of people's thoughts on this, especially people well versed in the suttas.

I don't think the passages about the ten conditions of doubt in the Kalama Sutta have any context to be taken out of; it is a list of epistemic domains subject to doubt. And the list is wholly comprehensive, covering all transposable human knowledge.

But, as the Buddha instructs in this suttra, we should doubt even the suttra itself.

namaste
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Hmm, I try to take the no faith, no doubt approach and take it as it comes.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited October 2010
    As Descartes discovered, we can doubt and doubt until all that remains is the certainty of doubt. Dubito ergo sum - not a very Buddhist pov.

In addition, of course, the opposite of faith is not doubt. Doubt is an essential component of faith, which is also very different from 'knowledge'.
  • GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited October 2010
    ShiftPlusOne, your name, combined with the topic of faith, reminded me of...

Faith Plus One
  • ShiftPlusOneShiftPlusOne Veteran
    edited October 2010
    Lol, I haven't seen the episode that's from... haven't actually watched south park in years.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2010
    What do you mean by faith? I find faith is an overworked noun.

These passages sum it up well.

From here:
    Foremost among such qualities is the complementary pair of faith and right view. As a factor of the Buddhist path, faith (saddha) does not mean blind belief but a willingness to accept on trust certain propositions that we cannot, at our present stage of development, personally verify for ourselves. These propositions concern both the nature of reality and the higher reaches of the path. In the traditional map of the Buddhist training, faith is placed at the beginning, as the prerequisite for the later stages comprised in the triad of virtue, concentration, and wisdom.
    And here:
    Intellectually faith implies a willingness to accept on trust propositions beyond our present capacity for verification, propositions relating to the basic tenets of the doctrine. Through practice this assent will be translated from belief into knowledge, but at the outset there is required an acceptance which cannot be fully corroborated by objective evidence.
    edited October 2010
    thickpaper wrote: »
    I have no faith that any of what we have now as the written buddha's teachings can be directly attributed to the buddha. So to buddhist skeptics like me, claims about "in accordance with" must be a doubted as any claim.

I don't think the passages about the ten conditions of doubt in the Kalama Sutta have any context to be taken out of; it is a list of epistemic domains subject to doubt. And the list is wholly comprehensive, covering all transposable human knowledge.

But, as the Buddha instructs in this suttra, we should doubt even the suttra itself.

namaste

I see your point. :) But isn't "skeptical doubt" (vicikicchā) considered one of the "ten fetters" and one of the "five hindrances" which is required to be abandoned in order for "stream entry"? Perhaps I misunderstand what "doubt" means? Why would he encourage something that is considered to be a hindrance?
    edited October 2010
    I see your point. :) But isn't "skeptical doubt" (vicikicchā) considered one of the "ten fetters" and one of the "five hindrances" which is required to be abandoned in order for "stream entry"?

Yes, completely. And how is doubt silenced? Surely not by repressing it or ignoring it? That doesn't seem very Dharmic to me.

I believe the way doubt is silenced (and to me this is the spirit of the Kalama Suttra) is by its full application, only when it has been applied totally can one be said to not doubt.

I have tried to doubt that all things are impermanent or interconnected or empty. Like, tried real hard. I cannot doubt it. The same with the four noble truths and all they entail about human experience, these are indubitable.

To me, this is what the hindrance is, the inability or incapacity or lack of diligence to fully exercise doubt.

Perhaps I misunderstand what "doubt" means?

Maybe. I guess it has the connotation of being "negative just for the sake of it." Which entirely misses the mark. Rather doubt is the process that leads to certainty and/or clarity.

namaste
    edited October 2010
    Doubt implies a prejudgment. There is a prejudice against what is proposed, as if it has an element of the preposterous. I doubt Moses parted the Red Sea. Prior to practicing meditation I didn't find the idea of liberation through mindfulness doubtful, just theoretical and as yet unrealized. Doubt has an element of predetermined rigidity. It makes sense that it is a fetter.
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    Doubt implies a prejudgment.

Yep, a meaningful and powerful one: prejudge any claim as dubious (able to be doubted) until it can no longer be doubted.

Mind you, in this culture of ours (humanity, not buddhism per se) we have been conditioned to frown upon doubt as a negative attitude.

Galileo...

Galilei...

I doubt Moses parted the Red Sea.

Sure, but that is not an extinguishable doubt, unlike a doubt about the aggregate mind or universal emptiness.

It seems one way buddhists can be categorised is into those that believe the Buddha taught something like "Doubt everything, be your own light" and those that find that notion an anathema.

I doubt both views.
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2010
    I found a saying, "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. Take one leap after another in the darkness until the light shines."

And another, "Great Faith and Great Doubt are two ends of a spiritual walking stick. We grip one end with the grasp given to us by our Great Determination. We poke into the underbrush in the dark on our spiritual journey. This act is real spiritual practice -- gripping the Faith end and poking ahead with the Doubt end of the stick. If we have no Faith, we have no Doubt. If we have no Determination, we never pick up the stick in the first place."

A related Ch'an saying says the four prerequisites for practice are great faith, great doubt, great vow, and great vigor.

Now, if I could just get the "great vigor" part going.......
    edited October 2010
    ....is not the "Great Doubt" of Chan a different species than the doubt of doubters?

This is from the Kwan Um school of Zen...

"The Zen path begins and ends by asking "Who am I?" When you ask this question very deeply, what appears is only "don’t know". All thinking is completely cut off and you return to your before thinking mind. If you attain this don’t know, you have already attained your true self."

The Great Doubt of Zen involves the courage to give up ground, the doubt of doubters is holding ground. Faith in Buddhism is having nothing to hold, whereas the doubt of doubters involves faith in what they hold tightly.
    edited October 2010
    Richard H wrote: »
    ....is not the "Great Doubt" of Chan a different species than the doubt of doubters?

This is from the Kwan Um school of Zen...

"The Zen path begins and ends by asking "Who am I?" When you ask this question very deeply, what appears is only "don’t know". All thinking is completely cut off and you return to your before thinking mind. If you attain this don’t know, you have already attained your true self."

I think so. Perhaps there are 2 kinds of doubt, skillful and unskillful? Skillful would be doubt about all the things (that are false according to the Buddha) that our minds want us to believe is true. "I am" would probably be the biggest one. Others would be something like "If I satisfy this craving, then I'll be happy", etc. Having doubt about all your personal preconceived notions of life, I think, is what skillful doubt is. Which, for me, is really nothing other than having faith that what the Buddha said is true.

I personally use the question "What is this?" as far as the "great question" goes. The "I" in the other question kinda ruins it for me. :lol: I find the "what is this" question much more expansive also as it also includes other people, the trees, the sky, the solar system, etc. In other words, all 5 skandras in their entirety. It is a really good practice too. Even though I have been practicing for 15 yrs and have always known about this "great question" practice, I have only recently really begun using this particular technique daily. Like, Iron rabbit said, it really does produce a bewilderment and a completely don't know state of mind. It's also very good a diffusing any kind of anger, irritation stress or restlessness, etc. But I really don't view it as "doubting" per say, but rather something like a very perplexing contemplation. Perhaps the "perplexity" is what "great doubt" means.
    thickpaper wrote: »
    Yes, completely. And how is doubt silenced? Surely not by repressing it or ignoring it? That doesn't seem very Dharmic to me.

I agree, repressing or ignoring it is not very wise. I think that doubt is silenced simply by diligently practicing the Buddha's path. However, I can see how this doubt can go too far sometimes. If you really doubt that practice can lead to wisdom and the end of suffering, like the Buddha said, then where is the motivation to practice coming from? It seems to me that it would be absent if it were not for the faith that is can lead to wisdom and the end of suffering, since the motivation for my practice is the faith that it can.

A related Ch'an saying says the four prerequisites for practice are great faith, great doubt, great vow, and great vigor.

Now, if I could just get the "great vigor" part going.......

Perhaps you just need to get older and stricken with cancer and given a year to live by the doctors. I bet that would arouse some vigor! :p
  • edited October 2010
    I have faith that I don't exist. It takes the same role as devotion.

Really helps in my meditation to get into samadhi. I think it's an actual requirement for that last leap into space. You have faith.