Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dae Gak

skullchinskullchin Veteran
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
Anyone heard of a zen master named Dae Gak and Furnace Mountain retreat center? One of his affiliated zen centers is in my city and I'm wondering about him. Here is his wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dae_Gak

Opinions?

Comments

• Dae Gak traces his transmission through Korea branch of Zen, a well established and fairly traditional Zen practice that uses koans and chanting along with meditation. While he has chosen to start his own temple, his transmission is authentic. If you want a taste of where his teachings come from, you can visit the Kwan Um Zen site, which contains many teachings by his old Master, Seung Sahn, http://www.kwanumzen.com/

• The Wikipedia page you linked to looks great to me. If it were me, I'd go.
  • Thanks to all so far :)

One more interesting note :skeptic: The Wikipedia article USED TO mention that disciplinary action had been taken against his psychologist license. I have not yet checked with his board, but that was one thing making me cautious :wtf:
  • edited December 2010
    https://web1.ky.gov/OnPPub/Verification.aspx

You can search for him there. It says he was disciplined but does not say what it was for. The original wiki said sexual misconduct.

The old wiki quotes from the board finding too, this is not cited however.

From Board finding: "Respondent (Robert Genthner) violated KRS319.082(1)(q) by exercising undue influence in such a manner as to exploit two of his clients for his personal advantage by sexual touching of those clients. Respondent violated KRS319.082(1)(n) by having had sexual contact with two of his clients. Respondent violated KRS319.082(1)(q) by improperly divulging confidential information about one of his patients to a third party without justification."

It sounds like you've already done that search...
  • I didn't know it was for sexual misconduct. By the time I read it a few months ago it just said "disciplinary action" and that was all.

I believe that people that have done horrible things can become zen masters and even enlightened. I still think it is something to be cautious of.

Thanks for everyone's input so far! :)
  • edited December 2010
    If you believe that Buddhism can change people for the better, then I say give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

(It would certainly be nice to know when the disciplinary action occurred; if it occurred before he was given "inka" then it seems much less a problem, IMO, than if he was disciplined as a psychologist afterward.)

Should we expect our teachers to be perfect? I know that some of the Tibetan writings speak almost hyperbolically about the wonderful characteristics of a guru, but I suspect this has a specific attitude-conditioning purpose and is not representative of the aspects of disturbing emotions that exaggerate the good (or bad) qualities of something.

Or should we acknowledge that our teachers are not perfect? Anyone that is "lower" in spiritual attainment than an Arhat will still have remaining some emotional obscurations that would manifest in disturbing emotions. Berzin defines a spiritual mentor as someone that has had "stable realizations" of non-duality and has integrated the experience into their daily life. Does this mean they have removed completely the causes for the arising of disturbing emotions? I think not necessarily.

• @upalabhava, that is good advice re. when the action was taken. And I also agree with you re. giving people the benefit of the doubt. I don't know the exact quote, but Buddha did admonish people to test/question their teachers
  • If you look for a perfect savior, you'll set yourself up for a lifetime of disappointment. If you look for a Dharma Teacher, you'll find one. Kwan Um follows the Japanese model of not requiring vows of celebacy. As far as the discipline in Dae Gak's past, I don't know the particulars and he does still have his license, for what it's worth. There have been no complaints I know of from the students that have been his students during his long career as a Zen Master.

Given the rarity of Zen centers, it would certainly be worth checking it out to see if you like the sangha and practice.

• @cinorjer, again very good advice. Thank you all for the reality check so far. I guess I'm more judgmental than I thought ;)

I have gone to sit with them on week nights, I just have not met Dae Gak yet or gone on retreat.