Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When to Visit Monastery?

laughing_statuelaughing_statue Explorer
edited November 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I realize this is a pretty lame question. I'm really new to Buddhism, but I know that I am in it for the long-term. There is a great Buddhist monastery near my college. I'm not sure when it's really okay to go though? I mean, I know I need to call (I have the number) to see when they are meditating and things, but when am I ready to meditate there with other people? I have meditated on my own some, read all about Buddhism, have a small Buddha statue, I've been trying to be a better person, and I have read much of the Dhammapada. But I really am still totally new. And especially since I know I will be visiting alone, do you just walk in and sit or what? And, if you go to a temple of some kind, how long after getting into Buddhism or becoming a Buddhist did you first go to your temple? What have your experiences in temples been like? How often do you go and for how long? Sorry. I'm just kind of nervous about the whole thing. But I really want to go at some point. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• edited November 2010
    I suggest you just call them up and ask them. They can answer those questions better than any of us can.
  • edited November 2010
    Barge in and throw yourself at their mercy.
    If they offer you cool-aid or punch.. politely decline...and escape!
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    You just walk in and say "Hey! Teach me Buddhism!" They say "OK! , blah blah blah blah, etc" Then you sit and stare at the floor for 1/2 hour. That's pretty much it. :)

But seriously though, these people are your brothers and sisters, there is no need to be nervous, they don't bite.
  • edited November 2010
    I think the OP's question is sincere.
  • laughing_statuelaughing_statue Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Thanks guys! I really just wanted a second opinion anyway. I'll be sure to make that call and head over there soon. And thanks for the sarcasm 'TheFound.' Very funny :)
  • edited November 2010
    do they have a web site? check the FAQs.
  • LostieLostie Veteran
    edited November 2010
    Dude,

why so uptight?

From where I come from, devotees flock to the monasteries on the 1st and 15th day of each lunar month for chanting sessions, lapping up free vege food and making offerings etc.

I see no big deal in going to any monastery of any form or any country for whatever reason.

Go, Experience.
    I realize this is a pretty lame question. I'm really new to Buddhism, but I know that I am in it for the long-term. There is a great Buddhist monastery near my college. I'm not sure when it's really okay to go though? I mean, I know I need to call (I have the number) to see when they are meditating and things, but when am I ready to meditate there with other people? I have meditated on my own some, read all about Buddhism, have a small Buddha statue, I've been trying to be a better person, and I have read much of the Dhammapada. But I really am still totally new. And especially since I know I will be visiting alone, do you just walk in and sit or what? And, if you go to a temple of some kind, how long after getting into Buddhism or becoming a Buddhist did you first go to your temple? What have your experiences in temples been like? How often do you go and for how long? Sorry. I'm just kind of nervous about the whole thing. But I really want to go at some point. Thanks so much in advance!
  • edited November 2010

I know exactly how you feel! I'm very new to Buddhism myself and was thinking about checking out the Buddhist church in my town, only i'm a little nervous to go by myself. I'm the only one in my group that is interested, so no one is really interested in going with me. Guess i might have to just be brave and check it out alone.
  • edited November 2010
    I had the same questions after I took Refuge and wanted to visit my Monastery. I felt a bit uneasy just droping in.

If there is a calender of Teachings and other public events posted, that is a good place to start. For me, it was good to visitr on days when people were expected to come and there was a set structure to follow. Once you go a few times and get the feel for the schedule, it is much more easy.

You could also see if there are ongoing chanting and other regular events that are open to the public. Overall, the Lama's want people to benifit from the Monastery being there and will be quite welcomeing to a new face.

So long as you follow the basic ediquete for the shrine room etc , dont worry too much about making a mistake. People are very decent about helping you without embarasment.

I can only speak from my own expeareance, but from what I have heard from other people from other places, this seems to be a consistent theme.
  • edited November 2010

Just go! There is no better time than your next opportunity!
    Leave your expectations at home, and do not be surprised if they do not welcome you enthusiastically. Just keep going back till you know whether or not this is the right place for you to be.

Best wishes!
  • laughing_statuelaughing_statue Explorer
    edited November 2010
    Thanks you guys! I do have one more question on the subject. I DID call the nearby monastery today. A woman that did not speak very much english answered the phone. And... well... that conversation was about as helpful as a screen door on a submarine. I wanted information about when they had meditations open to the public and other events going on. She proceeded to tell me that it was a Buddhist temple with monks that meditate daily. -_- Like I said, not helpful. Not that I'm holding anything against her because of it. But can I stop by any weekday afternoon and hope for the best? Is it okay to just stop in any day? Or would that be bad or would no one be there? What do you think?
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited November 2010
    TheFound wrote: »
    Barge in and throw yourself at their mercy.
    If they offer you cool-aid or punch.. politely decline...and escape!

Priceless!

Point Made! Just plunge right in.
  • edited November 2010
    But can I stop by any weekday afternoon and hope for the best? Is it okay to just stop in any day? Or would that be bad or would no one be there? What do you think?

Check their schedules. Have you checked the Buddhanet pages? They can be helpful and sometimes the Viharas have their own pages. (><) My closest Meditation center is an hour away since I cannot drive. :-/

http://www.buddhanet.info/wbd/province.php?province_id=67

For Virginia. I hope you have better luck than I do!
  • edited November 2010
    Most monasteries also have a lay community supporting them.

Just go there - investigate politely. Look for the office when you arrive.