Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhism and Star wars...? George Lucas is a Buddhist, how mant examples do you see in the movies?

light and dark side of the force..Yoda teaches luke to focus on what he is doing, the moment. e.t.c:

Comments

• GuyCGuyC Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Hi GirlLikeSam,

Actually, I think Star Wars was primarily inspired by "Mystery School" beliefs. For example, in the Hebrew alphabet "yod" is the smallest character, in Star Wars "Yoda" is the smallest character. "Yoda" is also the name of a wise being in Freemasonry.

In Ancient Egypt there was a priest class called "Jedi" who, as part of their initiation, had to go inside a tomb for 3 days and after emerging were alleged to have gained psychic powers.

Also, rumor has it that George Lucas is a 33rd degree Freemason.

As for light side/dark side, that seems to be fairly universal in all belief systems except perhaps Nihilism. In Freemasonry this is represented by twin pillars, the checkered floor and also the sun and the moon.

Metta,

Guy
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    There is no spoon!

Oh sorry, wrong movie ;)
  • I stumbled upon Revenge of the Sith on television last week and this quote resonated with me.

Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not. Miss them do not. Attachment leads to jealousy. The shadow of greed that is. Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose.

- Yoda

Very powerful quote.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited June 2011
    doesn't Buddhism advices against most (all?) dualisms?
  • It's been said that Yoda's "look" was based on the looks of a Tibetan monk Spielberg met. My signal is too funky to upload the image, but Google up Serkhong Ripoche and you'll see what I mean.
  • mugzymugzy Veteran
    LOL!!!! Help you I can, yes! :lol:
  • newtechnewtech Veteran
    Hello:

I saw many buddhist concepts in "Tron: Legacy"....
  • lucas drew inspiratoin from manny coltures and beliefs. the code of the jedi cold be partialy samurai code, tau teachings and buddhist teachings if i'm not mistaken
  • auraaura Veteran
    edited June 2011
    "Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace" exemplifies George Lucas' solo scriptwriting abilities.
    The original "Star Wars" movie (1977) was George Lucas' science fiction remake of Akira Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress" (1958)

Kurosawa studied art and kendo and was a master storyteller of the human condition. Many of his films explored Buddhist themes with great depth and honesty.
    By comparison, George does very nice special effects, invented the concept of a 13 year old queen/ambassador, and wrote the character JarJar Binks.
    Enough said.

• IMO, Star Wars is about "light* spirituality"

*as in, without substance, weak.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    I don't think we need to take it - or ourselves - so seriously..... :rolleyes:
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited June 2011
    I was told by my Kendo teachers that a lot of Star Wars was based off the samurai. Darth Vaders costume was actually based on the "Bogu" we wear in Kendo. The samurai were the Jedi, and the "force" was actually "ki" that we use. Whoever does Kendo will become very familiar with utilizing ki. It's an important part of Kendo fights. They would often mention it. The same with using the force in star wars.

Now as for Buddhism. It's a reality that the Samurai were very much into it. The samurai weren't just a bunch of thugs without ethics. A lot of them had a code they followed that had to do with Bushido, Buddhism and just a code of honor. So you can see that there were a lot of samurai and Buddhist influences on Star Wars.
  • Wait.. George Lucas is a Buddhist for real? You're not just saying that as a catchy title? I'm surprised... I never knew that. Well it would explain yoda.
  • Is star wars buddhist? I think so. If not at least in part, then I read
    "The Dharma of Star Wars" by Matthew Bortolin for nothing(the first buddhist book I ever read, and very beginner friendly if a bit longwinded.)
  • My father in law is an avid fan and observor of Star Wars .... he descibed his religion as Jedi on the all of the census information forms we have been asked to fill out here in Australia in the past 11 years in which I have known him .... he firmly maintains that the best aspects of Buddhism are incorporated with the best aspects of all other religions to create the force - lol .... it is a wonderful idea.
  • Bushido... or an extended version of it allowed samurai to kill peasants if they apologised with a simple hand gesture after the fact.

...that's as far as Buddhism as you can get.
  • You mean maintaining our values above maintaining our life? .... given that we do not have capacity to maintain our life, as we know it, " forever " anyway, and given the accounts of the historical Buddha's death ? - yeah, I agree Vincenzi
  • Mr_SerenityMr_Serenity Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Bushido... or an extended version of it allowed samurai to kill peasants if they apologised with a simple hand gesture after the fact.

...that's as far as Buddhism as you can get.

Even though the samurai were assassins for a lord or for their country, some of them did incorporate a code of ethics, like honor, Bushido and Buddhism (both are very different) into their life style. Even though Musashi killed over 60 men, he eventually stopped killing and incorporated Buddhism into his life and he was regarded as a sword saint by Japan.

Some samurai were a lot like the Jedi. Like the Jedi they're trained killers, they kill when they need to, but some of them try to maintain a code of honor while doing so. They also used meditation and awareness to sharpen their skills in battle. So really many of the samurai actually used Buddhism to *help them be more efficient killers lol. One can say Luke actually does this when he's training with Yoda. The way Yoda talks is a lot like a monk or a martial arts teacher would talk, with the force actually being Ki. Just like Kendo (the way of the sword). You aren't actually killing in Kendo, but the principles of meditation and Buddhism are not just improving your character, they're also improving your skills in battle.

So of course it's not Buddhism at its purest form, but there are traces of Buddhism in Star Wars due to the samurai influence. I would say that Star Wars is way more samurai influenced rather than Buddhist influenced.

If one wants to see Buddhist influenced samurai flicks, Rurouni Kenshin is a great one. Same with Vagabond. Those are far more Buddhist influenced than Star Wars.

• andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Knowing when to walk away, and knowing when to run ... ( sorry, that last phrase was from a meaningful song lyric for me ) - lest we get toooooo serious about clever fictional characters and stories for entertainment and inspiration.
  • skullchinskullchin Veteran
    edited June 2011
    Lucas used a lot of mythic archetypes in star wars. Any religion will be able to see similarities between itself and star wars for this reason. Part of my masters thesis was on this very topic.
  • I don't think that the orignal Star Wars films have any blatant Buddhist themes. You really have to stretch things to make them fit. It's based off of Joseph Campbell's Hero journey.
  • There is no spoon!

Oh sorry, wrong movie ;)
    slick, matrix
  • Wait.. George Lucas is a Buddhist for real? You're not just saying that as a catchy title? I'm surprised... I never knew that. Well it would explain yoda.
    As far as I'm aware Lucas identifies as Methodist.
  • He is a buddhisthttp://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_buddhist.html
    Link doesn't seem to work.

• http://www.adherents.com/largecom/fam_buddhist.html

Hopefully that will do better for you.

Likewise, I started reading "The Dharma of Star Wars" by Matthew Bortolin, but ended up putting it down after a few chapters. I always wanted to pick it back up, but the chronology didn't seem to match up well for me, which made it harder to read. He seemed to jump around, hitting different topics (both in Buddhism and Star Wars), along with bouncing around different episodes. It was hard for me to follow, and decided it would be better not to confuse myself.

As far as the reference about Star War's association with Freemasonry, I'm a Mason and I can say I never noticed it. I'm not an avid Mason Scholar, so much of it might have flown over my head, but many of the core ideals in Masonry don't appear to heavily in Star Wars (other than the balance between light and dark, good and evil, but it's hard to attribute that solely to Masonry). Maybe I need to read up a little bit more though.