Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dark Buddhism or Objectivism?

Hi all - my apologies, I didn't realize one or the other of these topics was forbidden (I don't recall hearing of Dark Buddhism before, though Dark Zen has come up I think) or I wouldn't have responded to the thread - which one is it, so I can avoid in future? Many thanks.

Comments

• BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    I didn't realize either was forbidden, so I can't be of any help.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Same here. Had no idea.
  • Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    Why is the topic of Dark Buddhism or Dark Zen forbidden? Is the topic really that dangerous that it cant be discussed? Kinda seems like an unbuddhist thing to forbid talking about a topic.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    Inc88 said:

Why is the topic of Dark Buddhism or Dark Zen forbidden? Is the topic really that dangerous that it cant be discussed? Kinda seems like an unbuddhist thing to forbid talking about a topic.

We thought you'd become vexated or go mad.

• Inc88Inc88 Explorer
    vinlyn said:

I really just cant believe that, there has to be a real reason.
  • DaftChrisDaftChris Spiritually conflicted. Not of this world. Veteran
    Inc88 said:

vinlyn said:

I really just cant believe that, there has to be a real reason.
    I think because it involves the philosophy of Ayn Rand; and I think that caused some issues in the past.

• NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Inc88 said:

Why is the topic of Dark Buddhism or Dark Zen forbidden?

Many Buddhists practice pushing away what they don't like or what they think damages the image of Buddhism or themselves.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    There's no forbidden subjects. The discussion was mistakenly closed, it was a misunderstanding, and it's been reopened.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    I seem to remember on old E-sangha is was a forbidden topic.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Its Adharma false teachings about exemplifying Self cherishing rather then removing it.

Its dangerous only to the foolish who would consider it genuine Buddhism.
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    But which is the sort-of off-limits topic--Dark Zen/Buddhism or Objectivism? Or maybe it doesn't matter -- would like to know, though, to be a little more sensitive in future...or maybe it's better not to know, lol!
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    Brian is pretty clear about what's forbidden and what's not.
  • Inc88 said:

I actually can see sense in this post, however I have not read why Brian has made it forbidden. It is like some harry Potter biz or something.
    I remember before coming here 2 or so years ago I was on another Buddhist forum that has closed down, some of us have come from there I know, but one person was talking about it on there and it was even a bad talking point there. I don't get it, really I don't see why it is such a bad thing to talk about.
  • Dark Buddhism? Sounds kinda badass. :)
  • SileSile Veteran
    But what is "it?" Are you referring to the Dark-whatever, or Objectivism? Sorry if I'm being dense!
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited January 2013
    There are only a few things "forbidden" on this site: Things that hurt people, being a jerk, people with legitimate mental problems posting bizarre rants and whatnot, calling other people stupid/idiotic, ridiculing others. There are no wholesale "forbidden topics". That ain't how we roll.

Brian didn't make anything "forbidden", not sure where you're getting that from.
  • I seem to remember on old E-sangha is was a forbidden topic.

This was the site was referring to, there was a thread a a member was worried about her friend that was involved in that which should not be named, a group of sorts, and she couldn't get her to leave it. I asked what it was and I got told we were not allowed to talk about it. Seriously, what the hell is this stuff, mind cancer?
  • SileSile Veteran
    edited January 2013
    Was it Dark Buddhism/Zen, or Objectivism? :eek2:

I guess it may be technically moot here, but @federica seemed to feel strongly about it and I want to respect that. Sounds to me like almost certainly the Dark thing, but want to be sure, because I am prone to Rand tangents now and then! I do find some core concepts in Rand's writings which I appreciate.

• Many examples in the modern world and historic world are experiencing the Rand's concepts of objectivitism in exercising intellect and Will known as IQ sort of. Overtime, the value of EQ sunk and the world is in disarray at its larger scale. In individual level, the rand value disregarded compassion, or compassion accorded with condition, and unconditioned compassion is the core basis of Zen that rand value never would realize it which arouse disharmony in them unknowingly. Dark Zen is those that do not realize zen and objectivism without Zen, you die is not their problem, as mandarin adage goes like this "18 years later, you will still be a gentleman".