Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dark Zen

edited January 2009 in Buddhism Basics
I wasn't sure where to post this, and I may have asked this question before, but WTF is dark zen?

Comments

• JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2008
    Craig,
    Craig wrote: »
    I wasn't sure where to post this, and I may have asked this question before, but WTF is dark zen?

They're a group that has certain interpretations of Dhamma that conflict with traditional interpretations.

This is especially true with regard to the doctrine of not-self (anatta), i.e., they are adamantly pro-self.

Jason
  • edited June 2008
    Elohim wrote: »
    Craig,
    They're a group that has certain interpretations of Dhamma that conflict with traditional interpretations.
    This is especially true with regard to the doctrine of not-self (anatta), i.e., they are adamantly pro-self.

Jason

Man, and here I thought they were into the dark side of the force, and all that electricity coming out of the hands and such stuff.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2008
    *deep growly voice* They are the spawn of the devil, Satan's on henchmen, and not very nice to their grandmas....:mad: :lol:

Actually, I've read some of their work and "twitter and bisted" doesn't cover it.
    Distinctly bizarre.... :eek: :crazy:
  • not1not2not1not2 Veteran
    edited July 2008
    They're a small offshoot of Buddhists, emphasis on OFF. You can find the website at http://www.darkzen.org/. Some of their stuff isn't too bad, if you take it for what it is, but some of it is really strange. Also, the individuals who associate themselves with it around the online buddhist fora are not exactly the kindest fellows and fellowesses. They have a tendency to overblow (imo) certain parts of certain Mahayana Sutras to take on a very pro-Atman stance which goes contrary to many many other Buddhist teachings. They have a very large affinity with terms like 'the light' and 'the Self' and tend to be very nasty with those who take a more strict anatta (non-self) interpretation.

metta
    _/\_
  • jj5jj5 Medford Lakes, N.J. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited January 2009
    ???
  • edited January 2009
    Multiple .????? - spam spam spam spam
  • edited January 2009
    Yep, I thought it had to do with Dark Vadar, too.

On e-sanga, discussion of Dark Zen is forbidden. I went to their website, and just shook my head. The part about being mean to the grandmas really turned me off.

I like my happy zen better :)