Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Since I do not have a teacher/group near me I have a question

edited December 2009 in Meditation
When meditating I put my right hand under my left and I connect the tips of my thumbs. My chin is slightly down.

This has happened several times and I just experience it for what it is but perhaps someone might actually be able to explain what is really happening?

Usually when I hit that spot of complete concentration after maybe I would guess 15 min I notice all sensation in my thumbs, hands, arms, is gone AND my chin moves up on its own into an upwards position.

The first time this happened I expected to find my arms and hands asleep (you know, the tingling feeling) but they aren't. They are completely normal. But yet I lose complete sensation of them during meditation.

This does not scare or concern me, because when I come out of meditation all feelings return right away and I have no tingling effects.

Thanks for any answers.

Comments

• DeshyDeshy Veteran
    edited December 2009
    As you enter deeper into meditation you are expected to lose awareness of the body. Your mind naturally abandons any concentration with the five sensory world that is hearing, tasting, seeing, smells or touch. This is supposed to happen. It is as if your body doesn’t exist anymore. When you feel as if you have lost your body, just return your mindfulness to the breath and follow it. Eventually your mindfulness will gradually cease concentration on the breath as well.
  • MagwangMagwang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    You're just getting started! Wait until you have visions of kssing William Shatner!

shatner-is-everywhere-25416-1261207006-109.jpg

(or isit just me?)
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited December 2009
    Well, that's enough to put you off meditation!

Kick, that sensation is perfectly natural and not limited to meditation. Whenever you don't move something for long enough and have no sensory data flowing from it, you tend to lose awareness of it. Just a physiologic response. BTW, the hand position you mentioned (called a mudra) is excellent for meditation. The way I was taught is to just barely touch the thumbs together. Otherwise you short-circuit the whole thing and you're a mess! No, not really...

Palzang