Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

was Christ a Buddha?

VincenziVincenzi Veteran
edited August 2011 in Faith & Religion
...after 3 days in arupa-dhatu, and then resurrecting.

Comments

• DhammaDhatuDhammaDhatu Veteran
    edited August 2011
    no, definitely not

• no, definitely not

prove it.
    edited August 2011
    it is required of you to prove your assertion about "arupa-dhatu"

apart from that, Christ may have entered into a deep samadhi to help survive the crucifixation, such as the cessation of perception & feeling

this would stop his diaphramic breathing

(however, we must keep in mind Jesus had many influential friends, such as the "centurian", and that Jesus was not hanging on the cross for very long. the two fellow crucifees were not even dead when Jesus was declared dead, according to the Gospel of John)

but mastering such a samadhi does not mean he was a Buddha because such attainments are not the liberating dhamma of Buddhism. many yogis master samadhi states

the evidence Jesus was not a Buddha is he did not teach the Four Noble Truths; he did not teach emptiness (sunnata)

the evidence Jesus was not a Buddha is that Jesus explicity sought to reform a godly religion, i.e., Judaism, and entered the temples to claim them as his own, turning over tables and doing other forms of disruptive
  • it is required of you to prove your assertion about "arupa-dhatu"
    (...)
    Buddhist Cosmology
  • continued

the evidence Jesus was not a Buddha is that Jesus explicity sought to reform a godly religion, i.e., Judaism, and entered the temples to claim them as his own, turning over tables and doing other forms of disruptive behaviour

but Buddha did not ever seek to reform Brahmanism. Buddha simply set up his own religion and helped Brahmins understand their religion

Jesus was not a Buddha

kind regards

:):):)
    edited August 2011
    Buddhist Cosmology
    this proves nothing, as I said

you seem to be interpreting arupa-dhatu as some "place" rather than a state of mind

the Buddha taught arupa-jhanas are conditioned states of mind or acts of will (rather than some "place")

Jesus taught about "God", "self", "soul", "Father", etc

Jesus was a Brahmin

Buddhism teaches Brahma thinks he is the "Father of All"

Buddhism teaches the way to Brahma is via love

Jesus was a Brahmin and not a Buddha

When our mind is not free from "self", it still believes Jesus was "holy"

:)

• DD: do you think Jesus went into an altered state of consciousness to survive the crucifixion? ("Cruci-fixation"--I love it! ^_^ ) If so, where do you think he went afterwards? Just curious. I think he probably survived, too.
  • edited August 2011
    The Buddha said that the next Buddha is Maitreyya and he doesn't come for a while (when his dhamma completely disappeared for some time) . Perhaps Jesus is a bodhisattva but definitely not the next Buddha after Gautama Buddha.
  • DD: do you think Jesus went into an altered state of consciousness to survive the crucifixion? ("Cruci-fixation"--I love it! ^_^
    :dunce: :lol: ) If so, where do you think he went afterwards? Just curious. I think he probably survived, too.

Later, knowing that everything had now been finished, and so that Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.

Now it was the day of Preparation, and the next day was to be a special Sabbath. Because the Jewish leaders did not want the bodies left on the crosses during the Sabbath, they asked Pilate to have the legs broken and the bodies taken down. The soldiers therefore came and broke the legs of the first man who had been crucified with Jesus, and then those of the other. 33 But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus’ side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+19&version=NIV
    edited August 2011
    The Faith of the Centurion

5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help. 6 “Lord,” he said, “my servant lies at home paralyzed, suffering terribly.”

7 Jesus said to him, “Shall I come and heal him?”

8 The centurion replied, “Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed. 9 For I myself am a man under authority, with soldiers under me. I tell this one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and that one, ‘Come,’ and he comes. I say to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

10 When Jesus heard this, he was amazed and said to those following him, “Truly I tell you, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith. 11 I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. 12 But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.”

13 Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+8&version=NIV
  • Was Gotama a Christ?
    edited August 2011
    The Death of Jesus

33 At noon, darkness came over the whole land until three in the afternoon. 34 And at three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?” (which means “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?”).

35 When some of those standing near heard this, they said, “Listen, he’s calling Elijah.”

36 Someone ran, filled a sponge with wine vinegar, put it on a staff, and offered it to Jesus to drink. “Now leave him alone. Let’s see if Elijah comes to take him down,” he said.

37 With a loud cry, Jesus breathed his last.

38 The curtain of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.

And when the centurion, who stood there in front of Jesus, saw how he died,[c] he said, “Surely this man was the Son of God!”

40 Some women were watching from a distance. Among them were Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James the younger and of Joseph,[d] and Salome. 41 In Galilee these women had followed him and cared for his needs. Many other women who had come up with him to Jerusalem were also there.

The Burial of Jesus

42 It was Preparation Day (that is, the day before the Sabbath). So as evening approached, 43 Joseph of Arimathea, a prominent member of the Council, who was himself waiting for the kingdom of God, went boldly to Pilate and asked for Jesus’ body. 44 Pilate was surprised to hear that he was already dead. Summoning the centurion, he asked him if Jesus had already died. 45 When he learned from the centurion that it was so, he gave the body to Joseph. 46 So Joseph bought some linen cloth, took down the body, wrapped it in the linen, and placed it in a tomb cut out of rock. Then he rolled a stone against the entrance of the tomb. 47 Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joseph saw where he was laid.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Mark+15&version=NIV
    edited August 2011
    Was Gotama a Christ?
    Definitely not

When we are hungry for love, we take delight in any form of love, be it Buddha, Christ, HHDL, whatever, etc

But when we are hungry for emptiness & the end of suffering, Christ cannot help us

:-/
  • Thanks for the reference, DD, very interesting, but it raises as many questions as it supposedly answers. For one thing, it contradicts what Pilate himself says in the Gospel of Pontius Pilate. He says Jesus asked him to crucify him. Also, it doesn't say what happened later, when Jesus was found in the tomb by his disciples. When John first sees him after the tomb is opened, and is surprised to find him alive, in John's Gospel it says Jesus asks him: "Why do you seek the living among the dead"? (Biblical scholar Elaine Pagels points this out in one of her books.)

But it seems to be the nature of scriptures to contradict themselves. The only way we'll know for sure if he survived and left his homeland is if someone finds his remains somewhere, someday.

Vincenzi, why would a supposed resurrection indicate that Jesus was a Buddha? Do you really believe in the resurrection of Jesus?
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the reference, DD, very interesting, but it raises as many questions as it supposedly answers.
    Not really

As I already point out, certain samadhi states stop the breathing in & out

His disciples would have not known, whether Jesus was dead or alive

As for Pilate, of course Jesus wished to be hung on the cross. This was his mission (but with a surprising & planned ending). Jesus was to be God's last sacrifice

You only have more questions because you do not understand Christianity & the Old Testament prophecies it was seeking to fulfil

Best to read the Bible rather than quoting this & that scholar

:coffee:
    What is the difference between one who is dead, who has completed his time, and a monk who has attained the cessation of perception & feeling?

In the case of the one who is dead, who has completed his time, his bodily fabrications [in & out breathing] have ceased & subsided, his verbal fabrications ... his mental fabrications have ceased & subsided, his vitality is exhausted, his heat subsided & his faculties are scattered.

But in the case of a monk who has attained the cessation of perception & feeling, his bodily fabrications [in & out breathing] have ceased & subsided, his verbal fabrications ... his mental fabrications have ceased & subsided, his vitality is not exhausted, his heat has not subsided & his faculties are exceptionally clear.

This is the difference between one who is dead, who has completed his time and a monk who has attained the cessation of perception & feeling."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.043.than.html

• I would think Jesus is a Bodhisattva.
  • :hiding:
    lol

The next Buddha haven't come yet you guys.

edited August 2011
    I would think Jesus is a Bodhisattva.
    I agree. The way Vajrayana was explained to me by my Geshe, Jesus fulfils this practise :)

• continued

the evidence Jesus was not a Buddha is that Jesus explicity sought to reform a godly religion, i.e., Judaism, and entered the temples to claim them as his own, turning over tables and doing other forms of disruptive behaviour
    (...)
    he saw "the house of god" as being disrespected throught the selling of trinkets.
  • VincenziVincenzi Veteran
    edited August 2011
    Buddhist Cosmology
    this proves nothing, as I said

you seem to be interpreting arupa-dhatu as some "place" rather than a state of mind

the Buddha taught arupa-jhanas are conditioned states of mind or acts of will (rather than some "place")
    (...)
    arupa-dhatu :: formless REALM

arupa-jhana :: formless meditative absorption
  • The Buddha said that the next Buddha is Maitreyya and he doesn't come for a while (when his dhamma completely disappeared for some time) . Perhaps Jesus is a bodhisattva but definitely not the next Buddha after Gautama Buddha.
    at least an anāgami?
    edited August 2011
    he saw "the house of god" as being disrespected throught the selling of trinkets.
    so what?

do you believe the Buddha would have acted in the same way?

often when his own Sangha was misbehaving, the Buddha would leave them for extended retreat in the forest

:om:
    edited August 2011
    Was Gotama a Christ?
    this is a buddhist forum.

but yes, he had christ-consciousness, and was able to teach... making Tathagata a Samyak Buddha.
    edited August 2011
    arupa-dhatu :: formless REALM
    dhatu = element or property

the Buddha described many dhatu, such as eye-dhatu, ear-dhatu, sensual-dhatu, etc

dhatu = element

dhatu =/= realm

• but yes, he had christ-consciousness, and was able to teach... making Tathagata a Samyak Buddha.
    Non-sense

Buddha lived 500 years before Christ :wtf:
    edited August 2011
    at least an anāgami?
    anāgami = non-returner

does not return to the world :facepalm:
  • edited August 2011
    The Buddha said that the next Buddha is Maitreyya and he doesn't come for a while (when his dhamma completely disappeared for some time) . Perhaps Jesus is a bodhisattva but definitely not the next Buddha after Gautama Buddha.
    at least an anāgami?
    It is possible, Jesus did mentioned that this is his last task/ birth on earth. To me that means he is not returning / reborn in the earth plane anymore. Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.

• @Dakini

"Vincenzi, why would a supposed resurrection indicate that Jesus was a Buddha? Do you really believe in the resurrection of Jesus?"

today, I got proof that (the resurrected) Jesus is in Tathagathagarba... "among" (anatta) Shakyamuni.
  • @Dhamma Dhatu

read the apocrypha, get your own conclusions.

there was just one Judas, Magdalene was an apostol, Mother Mary was young (NOT virgin).

the father of Jesus was either: Gabriel, Longinus (to use a recognizable name), or Joseph.
  • but yes, he had christ-consciousness, and was able to teach... making Tathagata a Samyak Buddha.
    Non-sense

Buddha lived 500 years before Christ :wtf:
    can you bend your mind past 0.9% to accomodate other's toughts... break the ego already!
    edited August 2011
    at least an anāgami?
    anāgami = non-returner

does not return to the world :facepalm:
    according to theravadins...

neutral:

broke the first five fetters AND had access to jhāna at will.

using my terms:

Jesus was a bodhigami ("Bodhi nature that returns"), because he returned at least once.

still, Shakyamuni was wiser and simply taught and taught in one long life (making he, still... the Buddha of Our Era).
  • (...)Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.

according to which one's dogma? sutric reference missing.
    edited August 2011
    in MN 115, Buddha said one of wrong view may acknowledge another teacher. But for one of right view, that is impossible :)
    http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/Transcripts/MN-115-SUM03-TS.htm

He understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could acknowledge another teacher - there is no such possibility.

And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person (puthujjana) might cause a schism in the Sangha . . .might acknowledge another teacher - there is such a possibility.'
    edited August 2011
    Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.
    Absolutely. :om: :thumbsup:

Because a non-returner has ended the five lower fetters and has no sexual lust, a non-returner cannot have an erection :hair:
  • in MN 115, Buddha said one of wrong view may acknowledge another teacher. But for one of right view, that is impossible :)
    http://www.dhammasukha.org/Study/Talks/Transcripts/MN-115-SUM03-TS.htm

He understands: 'It is impossible, it cannot happen that a person possessing right view could acknowledge another teacher - there is no such possibility.

And he understands: 'It is possible that an ordinary person (puthujjana) might cause a schism in the Sangha . . .might acknowledge another teacher - there is such a possibility.'
    that sutra contradicts the Dharma.

someone saying that will not be even a srotapanna because he didn't broke the "self identity view".

anatta, anicca, dukkha
    anicca, shunyata
    nirvāna

• Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.
    you propose sexual disfunction as holy, that aspect of your stream of conciousness is... problematic.
  • Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.

Because a non-returner has no sexual lust, a non-returner cannot have an erection
    passion is not lust.

so... women are automatically non-returners since they can't get an erection?
  • so... women are automatically non-returners since they can't get an erection?
    arousal, erection, whatever :orange:
  • The story of Jesus and Buddha's life can be similar in various ways so are their teachings for lay people. There is a possibility that Jesus came back to his homeland to teach the dharma and about the story of the Buddha after his travel. Somehow what he told about the life of the Buddha get combined with Jesus' own life. That's why when you read about Jesus' life you see many parts are very similar to the Buddha's life story plus certain parts that are from Jesus' own life ( the cross ,etc..).
  • (...)Also, he is living a celibate life. That is another feature of a non-returner.

For Stream Enterer and Once Returner, they can be sexually active though.

• so... women are automatically non-returners since they can't get an erection?
    arousal, erection, whatever :orange:
    maybe you are or want to be asexual, just don't push that view on others... and DO NOT pass it as Dharma.

For Stream Enterer and Once Returner, they can be sexually active though.

if becoming a Buddha means not having the possibility of being sexually active... I don't want to be a Buddha.

however, I'm the anāgami and call the asexual=holy as dogma.
  • AVERSION is a TRAP of samsāra... plz, this should be basic Dharma.
  • Vincenzi,

Once Returners are not necessarily celibate. Maybe you can go for that instead .

I wouldn't say that non-returners have aversion towards sex. It is just that lust have been uprooted in them. Again , the practice of celibacy and the like are more suitable for monastics than householders. (There are some exceptions , such as Citta and Hatthaka the householders, etc...)
  • Mother Mary was young (NOT virgin).
    According to the Greek, Mary was a "maiden", which to us may simply indicate youth, but in the context of the times, it meant she was a virgin. I've heard your statement before, Vincenzi, so over the years, I've checked this out with several scholars and Orthodox clergy. What word the Hebrew or Aramaic versions used to describe Mary, I don't know, do you?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2011
    You've spoken to different scholars to me then. As an ex-Roman Catholic , I had years to study the role of the Virgin Mary and most erudite and learned interpreters ofthe scriptures I have spoken to, indicate that while the word is interpretable , there is no proof or evidence anywhere that she was a virgin.
    She was born without original sin which is quite different.

• Was Gotama a Christ?
    this is a buddhist forum.

but yes, he had christ-consciousness, and was able to teach... making Tathagata a Samyak Buddha.
    It may be a Buddhist forum (whatever that may mean) but this thread discusses Christian theology - by ex-, anti- and non-Christians pontificating on what we Christians are supposed to believe. Would you accept ex-Buddhist interpretations of the Dharma?

The obvious dislike of and disrespect for Christian teaching demonstrated by some here (I did name at least one but redacted the names: no ad hominem; they know who they are) should not be taken as characteristic of genuine Buddhist commentary. I prefer the views of such respected and respectful writers as HHDL, TNH, Roshi Aitken or Masao Abe.
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

It may be a Buddhist forum (whatever that may mean) but this thread discusses Christian theology - by ex-, anti- and non-Christians pontificating on what we Christians are supposed to believe. Would you accept ex-Buddhist interpretations of the Dharma?

The obvious dislike of and disrespect for Christian teaching demonstrated by some here (I did name at least one but redacted the names: no ad hominem; they know who they are) should not be taken as characteristic of genuine Buddhist commentary. I prefer the views of such respected and respectful writers as HHDL, TNH, Roshi Aitken or Masao Abe.
    Thank you for saying that, Simon.

• Hi Simonthepilgrim,

Do you see any relationship between the story of Christ and Buddha ?

• We should create a new category for postings:

"Tit for tat"

:)