Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Wicca

edited September 2005 in Faith & Religion
Hello,

I saw this topic and I just had to reply. Yes, I know a thing or two about being stereotyped a Satanist and I am grateful that this topic is here. Well, I am not a Satanist---I am a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition. There are other different Traditions but not all Wiccans follow a Tradition. I believe in Mother Earth and the Sky Father. There are also my personal Patron Dieties that I worship and they are Diana and Cernunnos. Other Wiccans may have different ones but that is what makes Wicca appealing to a lot of people and especially women---one can worship or not worship other gods or goddesses. Women have also been made to feel like they are second-class or evil by some mysogynistic Christian faiths and that is one reason I don't follow Christianity any more. I was raised a Baptist by my parents but I found it hard to accept that there is only one, true way to worship and if you don't, you will go to Hell. I also believe that everyone has the right to worship as they see fit and Wiccans are for the most part accepting of all religions. There are some Wiccans that I have found to be just as guilty of being narrow-minded like certain Christian faiths. I don't believe in the Devil, or Hell, or any such nonsense. My religion is an Earth-based religion. Some Wiccans call themselves Witches but not in the context that Christians and certain other religions tend to think. We practice, or at least in my case, Green Magick otherwise known as "Eco-Magick." Most of us just say we practice Magick or White Magick. There are also Wiccans that do not call themselves Witches, and there are Wiccans that do not practice magick. Also, a male Wiccan is just called a Wiccan and NOT a Warlock. A male Wiccan tends to view the word "Warlock" as an insult because the word actually means "Oathbreaker" according to the Scottish translation. As a Wiccan I am bound by the Wiccan Rede which basically means "And Ye Harm None (this includes ourselves), Do As Ye Will." The magick that Wiccans practice is that which is not harmful in any manner nor is it manipulative. Wiccans are not allowed to cast spells to control, manipulate, or anything like this to anyone or anything because it is a direct violation of the Rede. We also believe in the Threefold Law which basically means that if you do harm, you will receive harm in return; if you do good, you will receive good in return. Sorry, I did not mean to go on and on but if I can do my part about shattering the myths circulating around about Wicca/Witchcraft/Paganism, well, that makes me feel better. If people want to visit some websites about Wicca, please let me know and I will be glad to reply.

Adiana

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Hello Adiana. I hope you don't mind, I started a new topic based on your extremely informative post. Thank you so much for your enlightening description of Wicca, and welcome to our community! :D
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    Thank you for that, it's good to have a different angle on what makes people tick. I didn't think you went on - it's wonderful to have someone on the site who can "set the record straight" and explain things in a straightforward, no-nonsense friendly way!

In order to unify the world and celebrate and maintain the differences, rather than be divisive all the time, we need a forum jam-packed with people from all sorts of denominations and beliefs, to maturely and happily 'walk together hand in hand' as it were, and celebrate what a diverse and jewwellery-box like bunch of folks we are! :bigclap:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited April 2005
    ....DOH!! Don't know why this posted twice, doo-dah, doo-dah....
    Brian, help!! LOL!!
    (Brian is ALWAYS helping me out!!)
  • edited April 2005
    Brian and Federica,

Thank you both for appreciating my post and Brian, I think you starting a new topic regarding my post about Wicca is a great idea! Federica, I agree that it IS important to have many people of different faiths/religions here. How else are we to learn and revere the many differences of people from a different culture or belief? People are facinating to me and l like learning different things.

Adiana
  • edited May 2005
    Hi Everyone!

I decided to post this website address about Wicca. It is: http://wicca.timerift.net

This website has the basics about Wicca in such a manner that everyone can understand.

I hope that you will all check it out. If people want more sites about Wicca, please let me know.

Adiana :):)
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited June 2005
    The ancient places of power here, in Britain, have enabled my practice and the legends of Britain provide great material for visualisations. We have a story that Jesus' uncle, Joseph of Arimathea, brought the young lad here and, later, after the Resurrection, came back to Britain and, specifically, to Glastonbury.

Visiting the Buddhist Centre last time I was in Glastonbury, there was a group of Tibetan monks who had made a sand mandala. Four years ago, I chanced to meet another group of Tibetan monks making a sand mandala in the Guests' Refectory of Mont Saint Michel. Both these sites are on a major line of wouivre, the 'sepent power' of the earth along which was marked by pre-Romans. Specifically, this is the Michael Line, which extends all the way across Europe and into the Near East, where it links sanctuaries sacred to Phoebus Apollo.

As I sat by the Chalice well, I 'saw' this line of connection, of interdependence, and I recalled that the very first images of the Buddha Shakyamuni were Geek-influenced and bore Apollo's top-knot.

As Buddhism becomes installed in a new geographical and historical context, I think we do well to recall the ancient beliefs and knowledge of our ancestors and the stories of the land. When a young tulku was discovered in New Zealand, the monks sent to take him to India took time to make offerings to the local deities of the Maori lands.

The ancient mysteries, our roots in the songs and stories that our ancestors told and re-told can be to us what the ancient Bon religion is to Tibetans: an enrichment.

It is interesting to note that the present Archbishop of Canterbury is also a Druid of the Gorsedd and, of another ancient religion, His Holiness The 14th Dalai Lama wrote "The Bon tradition has bequeathed the present generation a strong legacy of education and training in philosophy, monastic discipline, ritual and meditation. It encourages a combination of literary study, vibrant debate, and personal reflection."
    edited June 2005
    Adiana,

Here, in Britain, we have well-known (as well ad hidden and lost) places of power. We have, since Alfred Watkins' great work, traced many of the ancient trackways and nodes.

In the US, how do you tune in to the land and its ancient pulses?
  • edited June 2005
    Hello Simon.

I found the Correllian Tradition path of Wicca around six months ago and I still have much to learn. I don't ever want to stop learning, either. The world is a fascinating place and so are all the people in it.

Yes, I am aware that Britain has many places of power and, as a healer, I would like to visit the healing vortex at Bath, England one day as well as the one at Lourdes, France. As far as tuning in to the land and its ancient pulses here in the U.S., as a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition, we believe in the power of crystals and form power grids with them as one way of doing so. In the U.S., there is a vortex that Wiccans go to meditate in Sedona, Arizona. This place is particularly known for being a powerful place of "psychic opening." There are many ways that Wiccans in the U.S. can choose to tune into the land and its ancient pulses but I will talk of only the Correllian Tradition's ways of doing so because I am more familiar with them. We also have different shrines, like the Shrine of Healers to use one example, that we can belong to if we choose to in order to enhance different energies we all may possess or want to work with. There are different shrines and temples that have been erected by Correllians across the U.S. that we as Correllians can go to as well. I could really explain more indepth than I have here but I think this is a good general explanation of what most Correllians think and do.

edited June 2005
    Thank you, Adiana,

I find myself wondering how far you make contact with the beliefs of the First Americans and their history of the land.
  • edited June 2005
    Thank you, Adiana,

I find myself wondering how far you make contact with the beliefs of the First Americans and their history of the land.

Simon,

I am not entirely sure of just what you mean---are you referring to making contact with the beliefs of Native Americans and their history of the land? To me, Native Americans were the First Americans.

edited June 2005
    Adiana,

I do mean "Native Americans" or Ndns. Their heritage is the land and they have told the stories of it. They have also identified and celebrated the places of power.

Of course, some (perhaps many) of these places have been desecrated, like the Black Hills and those horrible faces carved into the sacred mountains. But each area will have its own story. My question was to find out if your Wiccan tradition made use of such places.
  • edited June 2005
    Adiana,

I do mean "Native Americans" or Ndns. Their heritage is the land and they have told the stories of it. They have also identified and celebrated the places of power.

Of course, some (perhaps many) of these places have been desecrated, like the Black Hills and those horrible faces carved into the sacred mountains. But each area will have its own story. My question was to find out if your Wiccan tradition made use of such places.

Good Morning Simon!

Thanks for explaining what you meant; I was pretty sure that you were referring to Native Americans but I just wanted to be absolutely sure. I have learned if you are not sure of something, then ask! LOL! :lol: The only dumb question is the one you don't ask---I heard that said somewhere but I can't remember where! LOL! :lol:

As far as my particular Wiccan tradition goes, no, not to my knowledge as of yet. I started down the Correllian Path around six months ago and I have much to learn. I am only a first degree initiate; it usually takes a year and a day to complete the various degrees. The Correllian tradition has the first degree, second degree, and the third degree that people go through and not everyone goes through all of the degrees---some choose to only complete the first degree, others through the second degree, and still others through all three degrees. It just depends on the individual and that is considered okay. People are different and the Tradition realizes this. It may very well be that the Correllian tradition does make use of the Native American places. However, my paternal grandfather was one-half Cherokee Indian, so in my personal spiritual practice, I do make use of them. My dad has shared stories with me and my brothers that his father shared with him. They are very powerful stories and very much a part of my life.

• edited June 2005
    Blessings, Adiana! It's good to see another witch on buddhist forums. :) I found this board through e-sangha, where there seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding witchcraft.

I myself am not Wiccan. I am a solitary eclectic witch. All that means is that I do not follow Gardnerian, Alexandrian, or other specific tradition. I have been studying both buddhism and witchcraft for about 22 years. I would consider myself a witch that practices some buddhist philosophy, rather than a buddhist who is also a witch. I strongly practice bodhicitta and to me, emptiness is more scientific than a belief. It just makes sense. I also believe in and try hard to practice non-attachment. But I don't go in for some other buddhist beliefs, such as seeing the world as illusory. I revel in the natural world and see it as a manifestation of the Divine. So my practice is mainly a celebration of the earth and its sentient beings.

LOL, I don't use drugs. I don't dance nekked around a fire. I'm not attached to samsara. But I am a witch, and I like quite a few things about buddhism.

many blessings,
    Lisa
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited June 2005
    Oh we love witches here :D

welcome to our community, ebonykawai! :)
  • edited June 2005
    I too first 'broke' from the Christian tradition by examining Wicca. My 'liminal' stage included a time in college researching shamanistic studies. I think that these periods of exploration were necessary for me accept the idea of looking into Buddhism, and certainly laid the groundwork to appreciate tantric understanding.
  • edited June 2005
    ebonykawai wrote:
    Blessings, Adiana! It's good to see another witch on buddhist forums. :) I found this board through e-sangha, where there seems to be a lot of misinformation regarding witchcraft.

I myself am not Wiccan. I am a solitary eclectic witch. All that means is that I do not follow Gardnerian, Alexandrian, or other specific tradition. I have been studying both buddhism and witchcraft for about 22 years. I would consider myself a witch that practices some buddhist philosophy, rather than a buddhist who is also a witch. I strongly practice bodhicitta and to me, emptiness is more scientific than a belief. It just makes sense. I also believe in and try hard to practice non-attachment. But I don't go in for some other buddhist beliefs, such as seeing the world as illusory. I revel in the natural world and see it as a manifestation of the Divine. So my practice is mainly a celebration of the earth and its sentient beings.

LOL, I don't use drugs. I don't dance nekked around a fire. I'm not attached to samsara. But I am a witch, and I like quite a few things about buddhism.

many blessings,
    Lisa

Lisa,

Merry Meet!

It is nice to meet you, too! I have several friends that consider themselves Witches and not Wiccans and we all get along just fine. I have another friend who just calls himself a Pagan. I think that the world is a facinating place complete with facinating people to meet. I also have Christian and Jewish friends as well. I believe that people should follow whatever spiritual path they so choose. I also consider myself a Nichiren Buddhist because I believe that I have the power to change whatever I need to change and this particular form of Buddhism teaches that. I have been practicing Correllian Wicca since January of 2005 and Nichiren Buddhism since April of 2005 so I am relatively new to both paths. I know that some people have a hard time understanding that I can be Wiccan as well as a Nichiren Buddhist but both paths just "spoke" to me and I find many interesting parallels between the two paths. I figure that since I believe in both paths, why not practice both paths? Anyway, I cannot explain it; it just works for me. LOL! I also don't use drugs, drink, or dance nekkid around a fire! HEHEHE! :lol::lol: It is truly amazing what people who are ignorant about what it means to be a Witch, a Wiccan, or a Pagan can think about us, isn't it? :lol::lol:

Adiana :lol::lol:
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited June 2005
    You two may appreciate this. In Santa Cruz I have met a couple who are pagan. We have been friends now since October. The wanted to try and start a circle and invited me to be a part of it. I do not really practice witchcraft anymore, but I still celebrate the Sabbats, Solstices, and Full Moons whenever I can. For this Solstice we got together at a park, had a ritual for the Sun and it's role in the wheel of life, a guided meditation with fire as it's theme, and a barbeque afterwards for cakes and ale. It was interesting because after the guided meditation we were asked what we each saw. The guided meditation was we travel down a hole on a ladder, come to a cavern, walk to a cave in the side of a volcano, enter a room filled with lava as a figure representing fire appears out of it, then after whatever happens to us we exit the cavern and return up the ladder. Most of the people pictured this elaborate scene with a figure representing fire and a phoenix, which was the basic journey, and you could see aspects of that persons personality in each of their visions. Mine was unlike the rest because the cave in which we were lead for me was very plain. The others saw a cathedral type area inside the cave, very large, open, and ornate. In mine I saw a large beast that resembled the Balrog from Lord of the Rings. It seemed...off I guess. It was like I wanted to see such a menacing creature, my perception of what embodied fire. Then after I realized that, it became a simple man cloaked in the fire. He never spoke and just stood there. I then noticed that we looked exactly alike, a mirror image of each other. I felt he wanted me to come towards him so I moved forwards until we passed into each other becoming one being. That was the whole purpose of my journey, that I was to become one with my vision. I could definitly see the Buddhism influence in my vision. I know that this guided meditation is what bubbled up from my sub-conscious, but I find it interesting that it reflected Dhamma so strongly. Even at a pagan celebration it was like I was reminding myself of my practice. I didn't let my sub-conscious get carried away with itself. At any rate I thought I might share this with you.
    edited June 2005
    Interesting that you should imagine a 'scary' creature, Elohim.

Did you know that Tibetan 'guardian' deities are extremely scary? After all, what do you want protecting you? Do you want an androgynous, pretty pre-Raphaelite with wings and a smile, or a green monster with claws and teeth? I'd certainly rather have the latter on my side!
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited June 2005
    I would rather have a little Chinese Kung Fu master with a long beard and gray hair. :)
    edited June 2005
    I'm fairly plain, post-Raphaelite, no wings but a big smile....!

It is an accepted Buddhist practise to meditate on extremely scary situations; imagining yourself being dissected and portioned into several pieces after death, watching as your body is dismembered and every internal organ is exposed, cut into pieces and fed to wild animals, watching them as they devour your body and lick up your blood....... In some countries, meditation on these things is encouraged in graveyards at night. This is in order to gain complete control of the fear in our minds we all have, of dying. It will come to us all, but if we can successfully manipulate, dominate and dispel our own fear through mindful meditation on such things, we will overcome even the most terrifying image, and treat it as an illusory impostor. Buddha said that his greatest guru is Yama - the Lord of Death. Conquer Him, and nothing can assail your Being.
    edited June 2005
    Have people ever thrown up after meditating this way?
    edited June 2005
    Only after three chilli and raspberrry jello pizzas, two slices of black forest gateau and ketchup chased by three cans of diet cola....yum!!
    edited June 2005
    I was being serious.
    edited June 2005
    Well, in a way, so was I....
    I don't know if anyone has ever thrown up after that.... but on contemplating things of this nature, there are bound to be things arising in you which personify your fears.... and that is what one examines.... fear of what? what causes this indefinable fear? Meditation of this nature does have an incredible effect.... be it physical, or mental. But that's the whole point. It's been truly effective when you reach the point that you can 'see' all this and merely smile. I for one, haven't.... but I truly fear Death a lot less than I ever did.... My 'fear' is to die without all my marbles.... but then, even here, if it happens, I must accept it....

Sorry 'bout that, Comic.... ;)
    edited June 2005
    .......(How did this ever get onto the 'Wicca' forum thread....!?) Oh look.... It was Simon...!! :lol:;)
    edited June 2005
    It is always Simon's fault. I keep saying it. He accepts it though. LOL
  • edited July 2005
    Adiana wrote:
    Lisa,

particular form of Buddhism teaches that. I have been practicing Correllian Wicca since January of 2005 and Nichiren Buddhism since April of 2005 so I am relatively new to both paths. I know that some people have a hard time understanding that I can be Wiccan as well as a Nichiren Buddhist but both paths just "spoke" to me and I find many interesting parallels between the two paths. I figure that since I believe in both paths, why not practice both paths? Anyway, I cannot explain it; it just works for me. LOL! I also don't use drugs, drink, or dance nekkid around a fire! HEHEHE! :lol::lol: It is truly amazing what people who are ignorant about what it means to be a Witch, a Wiccan, or a Pagan can think about us, isn't it? :lol::lol:

Adiana :lol::lol:

I have been a Witch for 30 years and am an initiate in the Craft (since 1984). My former teacher of twenty years ago also practiced Nichiren Buddhism. You are the first Wiccan Buddhist I have encountered since then. How do you reconcile the two belief systems? Toward the end of her life, my former teacher said that her Buddhist sect became increasingly controlling and judgmental of her lifestyle and her Pagan beliefs. I have been reexploring Nichiren Buddhism recently. Twenty years ago, my teacher did not tell me that hers was one of several sects! Now, I find out there are three major schools (Nichiren Shoshu, SGI, and Nichiren Shu), and I have to decide which school to believe.

B*B
    edited July 2005
    Believe whatever reveals itself as the truth to you.

(The Buddha is speaking to the Kalamas) Then the Budhha gave them this advice, unique in the history of religions:

'Yes, Kalamas, it is proper that you have doubt, that you have perplexity, for a doubt has arisen in a matter which is doubtful. Now, look you Kalamas, do not be led by reports, or tradition, or hearsay. Be not led by the authority of religious texts, nor by mere logic or inference, nor by considering appearances, nor by the delight in speculative opinions, nor by seeming possibilities, nor by the idea; "this is our teacher'. But, O Kalamas, when you know for youselves that certain things are unwholesome (akusala), and wrong, and bad, then give them up ... And when you know for youselves that certain things are wholesome (kusala) and good, then accept them and follow them.'

Anguttara Nikaya, Tika Nipata, Mahavagga, Sutta No. 65
  • edited July 2005
    I have been a Witch for 30 years and an initiate in the Craft. My former teacher of twenty years ago also practiced Nichiren Buddhism. You are the first Wiccan Buddhist I have encountered since then. How do you reconcile the two belief systems? Toward the end of her life, my former teacher said that her Buddhist sect became increasingly controlling and judgmental of her lifestyle and her Pagan beliefs. I have been reexploring Nichiren Buddhism recently. Twenty years ago, my teacher did not tell me that hers was one of several sects! Now, I find out there are three major schools (Nichiren Shoshu, SGI, and Nichiren Shu), and I have to decide which school to believe.

B*B

Well, first off, Azure Dragon, I want to say hi. It's nice to "meet" you albeit online through your posts. LOL! I really like this site because no one has ever been judgemental or any such nonsense like that here. One can get an answer to a question without having to put up with any condescending or patronizing remarks. What a relief! Also, there are not that many Wiccans/Witches/Pagans here but that is changing. Indeed, there are a lot of people of different beliefs here.

As to my being a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition as well as being a Nichiren Buddhist, that journey began in January of 2005 (Wicca) and April of 2005 (Nichiren Buddhism). What I like about being a Correllian Wiccan is that I can also practice any other belief I so choose without being ostracized for it. Being a Correllian Wiccan means that while attending any Correllian Tradition function you are expected to conduct yourself as a Correllian Wiccan but what you do in your own personal time is your own business. If you also want to be a Dianic Wiccan, Alexandrian Wiccan, Gardnerian Wiccan, or whatever, that is perfectly fine. There is no one that is going to say that you cannot practice any other sort of belief/faith/whatever and still be considered a Correllian Wiccan. Nichiren Buddhism is the same way; at least the Soka Gakkai International-USA (or SGI) is like that. There are also some Wiccan Buddhists here in Indiana in addition to me. They are also SGI members and we all chant and study together as well as attend district meetings together. We also practice Wiccan rituals together as well. I don't know anything about Nichiren Shoshu or Nichiren Shu so I cannot tell you anything about them. I can tell you that it is perfectly fine with other SGI members that are not Wiccans/Witches/Pagans that we are also Wiccans in addition to being SGI members. I have not met any other SGI member that was judgemental about my being a Wiccan as well as being a Buddhist. What I like about being a Wiccan and a Buddhist is that neither belief demands that you be one or the other. Being Wiccan and being a Buddhist are somewhat similar in that both beliefs believe in respecting the earth and not harming any living being in any way. This also includes not trying to manipulate any living being as well. At least, that is my opinion on the situation. LOL! Wiccans believe in the Wiccan Rede and Buddhists believe in not harming any living being. I like that. Anyway, sorry this post is so long but I tend to write long posts anyway! LOL!

Blessed Be,

Adiana :):):lol::lol:
  • edited August 2005
    All, I am new to these boards but not new to the subject. I have studied all religions for nie on 20 years now. It is very good to see open discussions started here. I have many friends of many different religions. Just happy to see good things going on here. :uphand: :woowoo:
    edited August 2005
    Merry meet, Wraith,

This is a good place and I am sure you will find much to ponder and to learn.

Not many of us Earth and Sky Mystery practitioners but lots of open minds.
  • edited September 2005
    Is there ever a time when a wiccan wants more power than "white magic" and wants to have more power and control casting "black magic?"
    edited September 2005
    Not being wiccan myself, but having wiccan friends, my understanding is that anyone falling into this bracket - is not Wiccan... they're more likely to be occultists or even hardened and misguided Satanists. The essence of Wicca is that whatever you do will return to you, so I believe that true Wiccans wouldn't even begin to go down that road.....
    edited September 2005
    Adiana is Wiccan - I'm sure she'll reply....*smile*
    edited September 2005
    No that's silly. That's the Hollywood version of witches.

All magic is basically control in some form.

If you want to heal someone that is a form of control over the illness, or the health of the body. It's no different that using anti-biotics in a sense. They both are attemping to cure a problem, just different methods.

If you wish to practice spells of any sort there is always some element of control. Whether people have wholesome or unwholesome intentions determines the kind of feed back they get. If you are selfishly trying to gain more wealth then what good can come to you? If you are trying to help people in desperate need then what bad can come to you?

I gave up the practice long ago because I began to feel that I truly did not understand "what" I was doing when I asserted my control over something. I had fears that I may be tampering with forces that should not be tampered with, or at least that I did not have the knowledge to be tampering 'correctly'. :)
    edited September 2005
    Who.....? me 'silly'? or Nirvananoob 'silly'? Just clarifying so's I can learn from my 'mistake'.... ;):)
  • edited September 2005
    Elohim wrote:
    No that's silly. That's the Hollywood version of witches.

All magic is basically control in some form.

If you want to heal someone that is a form of control over the illness, or the health of the body. It's no different that using anti-biotics in a sense. They both are attemping to cure a problem, just different methods.

If you wish to practice spells of any sort there is always some element of control. Whether people have wholesome or unwholesome intentions determines the kind of feed back they get. If you are selfishly trying to gain more wealth then what good can come to you? If you are trying to help people in desperate need then what bad can come to you?

I gave up the practice long ago because I began to feel that I truly did not understand "what" I was doing when I asserted my control over something. I had fears that I may be tampering with forces that should not be tampered with, or at least that I did not have the knowledge to be tampering 'correctly'. :)

You are correct for the most part about magic. However, being a Wiccan of the Correllian Tradition, but Wiccan nevertheless, we believe in the Wiccan Rede---And Ye Harm None, Do As Ye Will. What this means is that as a Wiccan, we are not allowed to do any sort of magic to manipulate anyone at any time. If we wish to heal someone using magic, we must first ask permission of the person we wish to heal. Wiccans cannot enact any sort of magic at all if the person says no. This includes even if we know that the healing is for the good of the person. If they say no, then that is that---we cannot do any sort of spell (magic) for the person. Also, Wiccans that follow the Wiccan Rede cannot do any sort of magic for anyone without their knowledge. If we do anyway, this is a violation of the Wiccan Rede. Also, there is no rule that says Wiccans cannot do spells (magic) to increase wealth. The harm (bad Karma) comes when a spell (magic) to increase wealth is done at the expense of another person or persons. That is manipulation and Wiccans don't believe in doing that. At least, the Wiccans I know don't do it. Of course, like any other religion/belief, there are people who are honest and fair and those people who are not. Most Wiccans will follow the Wiccan Rede. That is why as a Correllian Tradition Wiccan, I think long and hard about any spells (magic) I enact---I always try to think of all possible repercussions (good or bad Karma) that may happen if I practice magic. I am always aware that anything I do has the potential to cause good or bad Karma. I figure that there is enough bad Karma out there without my adding to it! LOL! At least, I always TRY to not cause any bad Karma! LOL!

Adiana :wavey: :wavey: :smilec: :smilec:
    edited September 2005
    I am sorry, I was saying that I found the idea of the question silly, not you are Nirvananoob. I should clarify my statements more. :)

Magic is magic. In all magic you are attempting to place some sort of control over a situation. It depends on your perception how you see it of course, but there is no "white" or "black". It is your ego that exerts it's control over what it desires in the world.

A spell with the wholesome desire of selflessly healing a sick person is the same magic as a spell with the unwholesome desire of selfishly gaining more wealth. One is not intrinsically different from the other. What differs is the 'intention' of that particular ego and the 'results' it will incur from such an action. Magic is not above the law of kamma. Magic is what it is: "The practice of using charms, spells, or rituals to attempt to produce supernatural effects or control events in nature."

Not inherently good, not inherently bad. That is just how our dualistic mind views it.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    In this Christian society almost anything that is not Christian is considered Satanic, occult, black.

In our Buddhist society almost nothing is considered evil.
  • edited September 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    In this Christian society almost anything that is not Christian is considered Satanic, occult, black.

In our Buddhist society almost nothing is considered evil.

Yep! I have to say I agree for the most part. It is a shame that there are Christians that think that way, too. :banghead: However, I also try to explain my beliefs to those Christians that will listen. I have found that it is the Fundamentalist Christians that tend to want to persist in thinking like that even when you explain Wicca to them. :banghead: I do have some Christian acquaintences that understand Wicca better since I have explained what it means to me to be a Correllian Tradition Wiccan. While they may not agree with me, they do try to respect my beliefs.

Adiana :wavey:
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited September 2005
    Christians often denounce your sex romps in the forests... Yet how many of them are virgins till marriage?
    edited September 2005
    "Sex Romps - Coming soon, at a forest near you.... Book now to avoid disappointment - !!" My goodness me - You'd have Christians queueing for miles for this one - ! And probably a few others as well....!! :lol:
  • edited September 2005
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    Christians often denounce your sex romps in the forests... Yet how many of them are virgins till marriage?

Well,

I don't know what you are referring to when you mention sex romps in the forests :hair: because my tradition does not engage in such practices. Other traditions/groups of Wiccans may do so but I have never heard of it being done. I think that what you are referring to is the fact that some Wiccans practice their rituals nude---or skyclad---depending on the coven or group. :hair: Some Wiccans believe that clothes inhibit their communion with the Goddess and God, so they run their various rituals in the nude. They are wanting the deities to know that they are hiding nothing from them or their fellow coven members. There is nothing sexual in nature being done when certain covens practice "skyclad" (or in the nude). Even then, all the members of a coven have to be comfortable with the idea or it does not happen and it definitely will not happen if the coven is considered a family coven (this is a coven that allows all the children of the adult coven members to participate in ritual). At least, this is what I have been taught about running rituals "skyclad." It may be different in other groups/covens, but the ones I know about don't have "sex romps in the forests." I am not being defensive here; I just want to let people know the truth about Wiccans who practice in the nude (or skyclad as we Wiccans call it). With all the myths and stories being spread about us Wiccans, I feel that I need to let people know the truth. I do realize that no matter how many times I tell people the real truth and the real facts about being Wiccan and what it means to be a Wiccan that these same people will continue to think negatively about us Wiccans. :banghead: :grumble: I guess it is more fun to them to believe in some outlandish story than to hear the real truth. Whatever. :whatever:

Adiana :type: :mullet:
    edited September 2005
    ajani_mgo,

That was something Gerald Gardner invented. You know the "Great Rite" on Beltaine? It was basically just a way for him to get some action. Beltaine is the marraige of the God and Goddess, but that doesn't mean we have to perform the honeymoon sort of speaking. ;) That was also the claim the Roman Catholic church used against the ancient pagans, along with kissing the Devil's arse (can this be taken seriously?).

I'm sure that some people may have had orgies during their rites since sex was not so taboo, and many fesivals were to promote 'fertility' of both crop and womb, but modern day practitioners of witchcraft are not like their ancient counterparts.

As quaint as it sounds, I have never seen such a thing in all my days of pagaism either.
    edited September 2005
    Well.........

There was a sabbat on Hampstead Heath back in 1963 that I remember..............
    edited September 2005
    Simon, you rascal! ;)
    edited September 2005
    Elohim,

If you want to grow rice, you must sometimes wade in pretty dirty water.
    edited September 2005
    Oh Per---Lease - !! :rolleyesc
  • edited September 2005
    Well.........

There was a sabbat on Hampstead Heath back in 1963 that I remember..............

HAHA, Simon! You rascal, you! :hair:

Adiana :mullet:
  • edited September 2005
    Where does magic come from?? I was always told it comes from the devil but I started to wonder does it really??